“Hyatt Regency Minneapolis - Overpriced & Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Stay More, Save More
Ranked #9 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Masonville, CO
“Hyatt Regency Minneapolis - Overpriced & Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We just spent 4 days at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Minneapolis for a professional meeting at the Convention Center. The room was $200/night and very small especially considering the cost. Their website describes daily newpaper delivery but you won't get a paper unless you request it on check in. In addition the room appears to be designed for male guests without a mirror anywhere except in the bathroom. We had the breakfast buffet one morning and the selections were all either cold or room temperature - another overpriced option. And the main lobby has terrible acoustics with loud echo throughout. They really need some kind of sound dampening in this large, cold feeling space.

Room Tip: When going to Minneapolis on business try another hotel in the downtown area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you for the feedback. I was disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with your experience. Would love the opportunity to discuss your stay with you if you have a moment. My direct line is 612.596.4505.

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was trying to burn off some loyalty points for HYATT and booked a weekend here. The renovations are throughout the building : great rooms, a super cool market where you can get yummy salads, sandwiches, pastries and coffee (yes, latte too) and other treats. Staff everyone from check-in to the market to the bellhops were friendly and courteous.

Workout facility is stunningly huge and all club-quality stuff. This used to be a neighborhood gym, so the hotel took it back and is using for ONLY hotel guests. If it ain't here, you didn't need it. On business, I DO check out hotels based on gym facility - so this is fantastic!

Only downside - there's a decent pool on floor 6, but no hottub. that's my only complaint. Rooms are well appointed and renovated as well. Location is DT Minneapolis - great location

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the review! You hit on two personal favorites of mine, the gym and the Market. I especially enjoy the veggie flatbread wrap after a workout in the gym. Come back and see us soon to enjoy both. Thank you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Traveled here in October for business. The property has undergone a pleasant remodel. Big pluses: customer service is really nice. Two negatives: light fixtures are hard to figure out...which is minor. Also, the bathroom did not have a bathtub but the vanity area was great.

TV was great, bed was comfy, room was quite. I really liked the coffee shop downstairs.

Room Tip: Ask for complimentary wifi.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review! We appreciate the feedback on the lighting and are looking for an attractive way to point out the switch. We are pleased you found the room otherwise to your satisfaction and the Market is a personal favorite of mine. We look forward to your return!
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just enjoyed three wonderful days in Minneapolis. I have never enjoyed a hotel so much! The facilities are beautiful, complete with gas fireplace in the lobby and elegantly decorated guest rooms. However, it was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff that made my stay so wonderful. From an initial greeting call after check in to help from the Concierge choosing restaurants for dinner, I was always greeted by name and offered help that I didn't even know I needed until they asked. The best part of the hotel, however, had to be the fitness center. Rooms and rooms of equipment! I've never before been able to do kickboxing at a hotel. Whatever your fancy (cardio, weights, resistence, yoga, or even basketball on a real court!) they've got you covered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thnk you so much for the fantastic review! I agree that the fitness center is pretty special but I must say that my favorite part of the hotel is the "friendly satff" you encountered. But I'm biased! Truly, we are humbled by your kind words and appreciate the recognition. You have made a lot of people proud today. We look forward to your return!
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were in the city to see a concert and got a great deal for this hotel. We were very pleased with our KING room on the 20th floor. The staff was what really made our stay wonderful! They helped with directions, local places to grab some food and holding our luggage after we checked out so we could grab a quick bite.

They offer a FREE shuttle and we were able to use it to get down to the Target Center. We took a cab back after the concert and bar hopping and it was only about $6 (plus tip).

The only area I saw for improvement was the noise level outside of the room that we could hear.

We would definately stay here again!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for the great feeback! I could not agree more! The staff is what makes our property so special. The local shuttle is a huge plus and we appreciate that you were able to use it around the downtown area. There are so many restaurants, bars, etc that are within walking distance but it is great to hope in the shuttle as the weather gets a little cooler! We look forward to your return.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just wanted to thank Hyatt Minneapolis for a great stay, over 4 nights, 5 days. The first day, when I returned to my room, I found the door was accidentally left open for most of the day by housekeeping. I was very shook up though nothing was missing. The hotel managed the situation very well- security was great, the manager checked in on me several times, and they upgraded my room to a secure floor and gave me access to the Regency Club. That made a huge different. In particular, Robert from the concierge staff at the Regency Club on the 22nd floor was fantastic, really helpful and looked after me everyday to make sure I was comfortable with my stay (I was quite shook up at first, when I arrived to find my room open). The Club was great with a lounge, and free breakfast and happy hour snacks. Besides my situation, in general I found the hotel to be stylish, with good amenities, and the room was very comfortable, well laid out, and had everything I need, except perhaps for a mini-fridge, that would have been nice. In any case, I don't think I've ever stayed at a Hyatt before but I will certainly again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
First and foremost, please accept my apologies for your door being left open. Obviously, we have addresses this with the entire team and are actually replacing all of our doors in November. I was pleased to hear of your experience and have already thanked Robert for exceeding your expectations. We look forward to your return!
davidlkaplan@comcast.net
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

A renovation has brought this hotel back up to a Hyatt standard. Everything was first rate. Most elements of the room were high quality. The lack of HD will always be mentioned as a negative.

The Lobby area offered a very nice work space. The service I received at the restaurant was excellent. The front desk manager worked to find me a nicer room. Good job.

The location is nice. It's right at the end of Nicollet Mall with several nice restaurants a short walk away.

I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you acknowledging our recent renovation! We are very pleased with the way it turned out and are excited to show off our new product. The staff will be thrilled to learn that you will be recommending to others. Thank you again for the great review and we look forward to your return.

Been to Hyatt Regency Minneapolis? Share your experiences!