“used to be holiday inn, love the changes” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1500 Washington Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55454 (Formerly Hotel Minneapolis Metrodome)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Aberdeen, South Dakota
“used to be holiday inn, love the changes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

wife and I stayed here April 11 and 12th. we have stayed here many times in the past, but this was our 1st stay since they changed from a holiday inn to a marriot. we obviously liked it while it was a holiday inn. However, im glad it has changed because it is even better. the shower and bed were great. they also have all new carpet, tv and furniture. this was our 1st choice for the last 15 years as a holiday inn, and now that they have refurnished and updated, it will continue to be our 1st choice when visiting mpls. the only downsides of the new remodel is 1. they eliminated the gift shop by the front desk. 2. they made the bar a little too formal. 3. they no longer have the restaurant. the new bar is nicer and set up a little better, but they have wine glasses and cloth linens set up in front of each bar stool, which is not very inviting after coming in from a twins game wearing casual clothing. also, the bar closed at 10pm. we were hoping to have a few beers at 10pm on Saturday night when we returned from the twins game, but to our surprise, the bar closes at 10pm even on Saturday nights. overall though, we loved it here and will return

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed two nights at this location for a mini-vacation so my wife and I could enjoy the NHL. No complaints whatsoever; we slept well, the king bed and room was nice. It was a little different it was a corner room that overlooked the city. The bathroom seemed to have some wasted space, although I am not sure what you could do with it. The exercise room overlooks the city and the pool, both on the 14th floor. Staff was pleasant and Platinum member get points and a market item (BONUS). We used the business center for a couple of hours, 4 PCs by the Bistro, printed some house hunting work while enjoying our Starbucks, No issues again. Nice location as it was about 15 minutes to the excel energy center, about 20 to the Mall of America with plenty of eateries nearby. Onsite parking in the garage will run you $17 a day. I would recommend and stay again if in the area. Video on the YouTube Channel; thanks for reading and if it helped give a thumb up! ;)

RetiredArmyRANGER

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at this hotel when we came up for a Minnesota Wild hockey game and to try out Vertical Endeavors. My boyfriend had stayed here for Vikings games when it was a Holiday Inn and wanted to check out the renovations. The hotel is very nice, clean and modern. The staff was very friendly and helpful upon check-in. Our room was clean and very comfortable. We decided to go out for supper and asked the front desk if they could call us a cab. They actually had a couple out front waiting so we grabbed one and were at our restaurant in minutes. The cab driver was very friendly and gave us a card so we could call him to pick us up after our meal. Our only disappointment was that they no longer have a hot tub. We were really looking forward to relaxing in that after rock climbing. I guess they took it out during renovations to expand the fitness center. The pool was a little small but clean and the fitness center looked nice, although we didn't use it. We had breakfast in the hotel the next morning and it was excellent. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Courtyard M, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago

I am sorry we were unable to provide you a hot tub experience after your day of rock climbing. You are correct - we removed the hot tub in effort to meet increased guest demand for healthier lifestyles.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward in seeing you during your next visit.

Phil
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

After staying here during the warm months and being annoyed at the lack of air conditioning, we decided to stay here during the winter months when it wouldn't matter. Alas, the heating/cooling system in this hotel is messed up and the windows don't open. Other than our discomfort, this was a superior stay to our last one. I like the rooms as they are laid out in a practical manner (if only the bathrooms were a little bigger), the staff is nice, the beds and bedding are comfy, and everything is clean. (I wish there were food choices during the lunch time.)

But we won't be staying here again. The thermostat on the wall is meaningless. We could never get our room cool enough, regardless of season. As we entered the room, the heating/cooling device kicked in and then stopped even if we stayed in the room. As soon as one person left, it stopped working, even if one person was still in the room. When the first person came back, the blower would start again. It didn't seem to be triggered by motion, just by entering and exiting the room and then only for a little while. It always turned off at random times. In the warm months, it never got our room down to our preferred temperature. In the winter the heat would kick in even if the room was still above our preferred temperature. We tried to run the fan only, but that produced heat when we didn't want it.

If this gets fixed we would love to come back. But, my husband will be in Minneapolis again this week and is staying down the road at a different hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Courtyard M, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Hello Revephemeral -

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

You indicated in your response that our heating was unsatisfactory. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. I am happy to report we took action to your response by changing the thermostat settings which allows for a better heating/cooling experience.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Hopefully with the changes we will regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Phil
phil.johnson@courtyardminneapolis.com
Rushford, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I have stayed here various weeks over the last 25 months while on campus for graduate school as it is only blocks away from the Carlson School at UMN. It used to be a holiday inn and was fine but now the lobby and rooms are SOOOOOO much nicer. The beds are extremely comfortable and the lobby has a lot of nice seating areas if you are there with a group and want to congregate in the lobby. There is also a lovely upstairs area for meeting or studying or whatever. My only complaint really is the bar does not appear to want to be open past 9 or 10. When I was there last, we had a large group that was in the lobby and interested in purchasing drinks and the staff could/would not stay. I'm not sure if it was really bar hours or their choice to close down as one of them kept saying how tired she was. All in all, this really is a great hotel now and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if I want to be near the new football stadium and will be staying there for graduation. There are also both fast food (Chipotle, Quiznos), a great restaurant (The Republic), and a comfortable bar (The Corner Bar) all just across the intersections.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hov1015 –
Thank you for taking the time to review the Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown. It is very rewarding to hear that someone who stayed on property previous to our rebrand appreciates and is excited as we are about the beautiful changes that have occurred. The Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown provides refreshing service and has designed our concept around that idea. I’m happy that you have noticed the comfort and atmosphere we provide.
We are working to find hours that meet the demand for the Bistro bar but fortunately as you pointed out we have great solutions only steps outside of our door.
I hope you stay with us next time you visit the University of Minnesota!
Fredonia, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I recently spent 3 nights here on a business trip. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I ate breakfast each morning in the Bistro in the lobby. I was not disappointed, everything was delicious. The fruit was always fresh and the breakfast tacos were great. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a stay if you are in the area.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Courtyard M, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
TonyaonaTrip –
Thank you for your fabulous review of the Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown. We hope that you found our hotel refreshing and reenergizing while you were in the downtown Minneapolis area on business. We are very proud of the work our executive chef, Ross Reed, does and will inform him about the great things you had to say about our food in the Bistro. Thank you for recommending us to other travelers and please consider staying with us next time you are in the area yourself.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I had stayed at this hotel under another brand name a couple of years ago. It was showing its age and was not a great place . Marriott has completely renovated the property, and done so with style. Rooms are well decorated, comfortable and clean. The staff is helpful and friendly. I had a minor coffee spill in the lobby one morning. A staff member stepped right up to help. I had a minor irritation of a problem that was quickly and professionally handled by the hotel manager. I was impressed by the response and concern for my satisfaction with my stay. I was really made to feel like a guest rather than an anonymous customer. I'd stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Riverrider2 –
I’m incredibly happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to be responsive to your needs. I appreciate your perspective having stayed at the property before our $18 million renovation and change in brand, ownership and management. It is wonderful to hear that it was all worth it. We want you to not only feel comfortable but know that you’re making personal connections here which is what truly what makes our world go round.
Please say hello next time you stay with us!
Philip Johnson

Been to Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown? Share your experiences!