“Pictures not true to hotel...more than normal:)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   618 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Red Wing, Minnesota
“Pictures not true to hotel...more than normal:)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel Oct 17th-18th after getting married. My first surprise was that the hotel didn't seem anything like the pictures. I expected a totally different room. When I booked, I chose the "supreme king," or something to that effect, the only choice above that was a suite. I looked back, and the pictures online are mostly of the "Presidential Suite," When looking at the pictures of the beds, bathroom, etc, I didn't realize it was a suite I guess. They could make it clearer. The room I got was a tad smaller than average regular king room at any other place, but it was a corner room, so I just figured that must've been the "upgrade" from the regular king. I still don't know. It was okay for the night and at the price we paid. Check-out was at noon. I had my bouquet when I arrived and the desk staff offered to find me a vase, they couldn't find one, but it was a nice gesture anyway.

Just as the other reviews say, the walls are thin..I slept great, so not really an issue for me. I loved the bed, perfect combo of soft and firm. They left two champagne glasses and a small bottle of champagne, knowing we were just married. Very nice and attentive. Room Service was okay. I ordered burger/fries and hubby got some sort of turkey/ham sandwich, the total was 32$ and some change. Average hotel inflation. The food wasn't bad, so it made it less painful...my one grip though was, I ordered my burger "medium" and it was super rare. I'm not against rare burgers, so I tried to eat it, but there is such a thing as just too rare. I could taste blood. I didn't send it back cause I would've just had a mind thing about tampering and wouldn't have ate it. I just ate around the edge and left the center. Flavor was awesome though, I've been craving one done right ever since. I'm planning to go back to the restaurant soon. Hubby's food was right on point.

Parking was $20, I don't think its part of the hotel, even though they're part of each other. When I asked if there was a hotel discount for parking in the morning, the attendant was rude and while bobbing her neck and rolling her eyes, said "NO, there is not"..I guess it was cold out there, so whatever. We wanted to be able to use the skyways to get around, but they were closed after hours, so don't bank on that for night time. In the end, I'd stay here again if I needed too. When we left, hubby forgot a shirt and pants in the bathroom. We called and they said they would send them to us. The charge on my card is 35$ for shipping, which is a bit steep for a package going 50miles away...I could've/shouldve drove back, and its been 6 days and still no package. I will probably dispute the charge at day 10.

Room Tip: Get a room up high so you can have a view, and bring binoculars cause it was hilarious watching peop...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GMCPNorthstar, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Shannon H,

Thank you for the thorough review of your stay. Congratulations on your recent marriage and we wish the two of you a wonderful life together. The concerns that you mentioned regarding the burger and parking attendant will be addressed appropriately. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Have a great day!

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Spending 3 nights at the Crowne Plaza for a work conference was extremely easy. It is close to the blue line so getting to and from the airport was a breeze. The doormen were extremely helpful with answer directional questions. The rooms were comfortable and clean. I would stay here again with no hesitation!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GMCPNorthstar, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
GuestKC,

I am glad to hear that you had a great experience at the Crowne Plaza Northstar. Our hotel is ideally located near several businesses, sporting venues and the blue line. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Raymore, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My room was very nice - no complaints. Until I discovered how paper thin the walls were! I could hear everything happening in the rooms around me and above me. Both nights I was there, I was awakened in the middle of the night by cussing, fighting and slamming doors. It sounded like they were right in my room. When I complained I was told that next time I stay with them I can ask for the 'quiet floor'. What? The 'quiet floor' has more insulation - more sound proofing? I think every floor deserves a good nights rest.

Room Tip: Ask for the 'quiet floor' if you want to get any sleep.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Angie W,

Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to provide superior customer service and a unique stay to all of our guests. I do apologize that you were able to hear noise from another room during your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Again, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and hope that you give our hotel another chance when you stop back through Minneapolis.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We attended a function at the Minneapolis Convention Center, and the location and convenience of the Crowne Plaza Northstar could not have been better. The Skywalk that is linked to the hotel and the Convention Center kept us warm and dry during a morning downpour. The parking is connected to the hotel's elevator system (room key must be swiped for security) and was reasonable in price for a downtown location. The room is exactly what I have come to expect from Crowne Plaza (comfortable bed, coffee maker and cleanliness that satisfies). No complaints on any aspect of the stay. Check-in and check-out was done by the delightful and helpful staff. Would definitely stay here on my next visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GMCPNorthstar, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Justmyopinion1957,

Thank you for chosing the Crowne Plaza on your recent stay to Minneapolis. The skyway connection is a great asset especially when the weather is unpredictable. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I am mixed on this hotel. The location is great - near Nicollet Mall, Target Field, the River, Sculpture Park, and the light rail, as well as many bus lines. My bed was comfy, the room was clean enough (though not spotless), the WiFi was fast (and free, at least for me), the TV was large. My view was just of an adjoining office building, which is expected in downtown areas.

Negatives: The walls were super thin. Way too thin. Rooms were outdated. Elevators were incredibly slow.

I was here for an event and the banquet/meeting spaces were quite nice, with free (and fast!) WiFi. Food was pretty good at the event.

I would stay again for the right price, but I would shop around first.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GMCPNorthstar, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Zacharius,

Thank you for stayinig with us on your recent visit into Minneapolis. I appreciate your feedback regarding the stay and apologize for the slow elevators.

Thank you and have a great day.
Ankeny, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was impressed by the professional service I received. I was in Minneapolis for a two-night stay. I had a meeting in the morning and an event in the evening to attend. The guest services professional at the front desk recognized I was a Priority Club member and upgraded my room. He also made sure I received a discount for parking in the ramp at the hotel. I needed to drive to my morning meeting and the ramp attendant recognized the documentation provided by the hotel and made note of it. The discounted charge appeared correctly on my hotel bill. I did not need to provide the ramp attendant with a credit card or cash for the parking fee.

I also ordered during my stay two meals from the In-Room Dining menu. The guest services professional delivered my hot breakfast on time and to my specifications. She returned to deliver lunch. It arrived on time and included an additional, complimentary side for my order. Each time the guest services professional offered to be available and assistance for any other requests from the kitchen. She also informed my about the executive lounge. She explained what was offered and at what time it was offered. The housekeeping professional arrived while I was in my room. I was impressed that she asked if it was o.k.to clean and to freshen my accommodations while I was still in the room. She also worked quietly and efficiently to complete her work. She did outstanding work as I continued to check messages and social media on my mobile phone. When she was finished, she thanked me! I thanked her.

I was in need of transportation to my evening event downtown. I about an hour before I needed to leave I called the front desk to request a taxicab. The staff made sure the cab arrived on time. They notified me in my room when the car had arrived. The cab driver took me directly to where I needed to be. I arrived exactly on time.

My room was quiet and comfortable. I did not experience the noise other guests have written about in their reviews.

Overall, my stay was pleasant thanks to the professional staff. I would recommend to others that they consider staying at the Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar during their next visit to Minneapolis.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
GMCPNorthstar, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Happy515 Traveler,

Thank you so much for the complete and thorough review of your recent stay. We are very proud of the guest service professionals we have at the Crowne Plaza Northstar and I am happy to hear your experiences. I hope that your travels bring you back to Minneapolis soon as we enjoyed having you stay with us again.

usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The hotel is in need of a serious renovation. in the room, carpet showed multiple stains and the bath tub had issues with the drains. The beds were stiff and uncomfortable. Will not stay at that location again.

K R,

I am sorry to hear that your recent stay with us was not up to your expectations. We last renovated the guest rooms in 2008, please contact the hotel directly so we can discuss further the issues you had noted in your room. We appreciate your feedback and will take care of the tub and carpet issue quickly.

Have a great day.

Been to Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar? Share your experiences!