Just so you know, this hotel is a four-star business traveler hotel-- but I was a road traveler who stayed here using a mystery hotel from Travelocity... so the rules of ratings may not apply fairly here :(
Quick Summary: Very, very nice hotel but no free parking, no free wifi, no continental breakfast in a noisy, light polluted, downtown neighborhood.
Everything I saw and experienced was impressively perfect. I don't even want to know what the overnight rate would have been had I not had my mystery hotel discount :)
My room had two comfortable queen sized beds (for my wife, daughter and I) in a bigger than usual layout. Bathroom was ample and included a sink inside and outside the bathroom door-- very convenient. I don't remember seeing a refrigerator. TV was LCD, but didn't work first time I turned it on... powered off/on again and got it to work. Nice spare power outlets available on the office desk, but no spare power on the bed-side table.
I prefer dark and quiet when I sleep, but the curtains on the windows of our 15th floor room wouldn't draw completely across-- weren't even meant to. Privacy and light control was accomplished using thick, black, louvered horizontal blinds that didn't completely close or overlap so that light from the offices in the building next door (which were on all night long on a Friday night) kept our room lit fairly well. Downtown Minneapolis doesn't sleep at night, so there were sirens every hour echoing their alarm clearly in the canyons of tall buildings (brought ear-plugs and regret not using them).
Hallway noise in the hotel however was non existent... the place was empty except for us. Even the ice machine was located behind a windowed door in the hallway to eliminate its dull hum-- nice touch.
I'm not new to Minneapolis, but this was the first time I had stayed in a big-city, downtown hotel. Apparently business travelers would expect this, but I was blown away that overnight parking was an extra $20 per night on weeknights and $6 per night on weekends. We stayed on a Friday night so we had a break. Luckily, the very helpful desk staff suggested we try finding a curb-side parking spot somewhere on the block for free since we were checking in after 10pm and curb parking was free on Saturdays. I'd seen Parking Wars before and had a bit of trouble sleeping imagining that my van would get towed, but no worries-- it was right where I left it next morning :)
I expected free wifi, but this is probably something that business travelers in a downtown hotel are used to... there was a fee for using the wifi :(
I also expected a continental breakfast, but likewise, business travelers would be able to per diem their pricy hotel restaurant meals.
Overall it was worth the few extra miles and downtown locale for the mystery hotel discount I was charged, but if I had had to pay full price, this would not have been my choice.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar Hotel
- Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar Hotel Minneapolis
- Crowne Plaza Minneapolis
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Minneapolis Crowne Plaza Hotel located in the heart of the downtown Minneapolis business and retail district and connected to the Skyway system for easy access to shopping, dining, sports, entertainment and any other downtown Minneapolis event. Deluxe guestrooms include 2 phones with data-port and voice-mail, wireless high speed Internet access for a fee, On-Demand movies, iron/ironing board, coffee/coffeemaker and USA Today paper delivered daily. Our Cafe Northstar restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. In addition, our Krona lounge overlooking 2nd Avenue in downtown Minneapolis, features light meals, a connoisseur's collection of spirits, complete wine bar and more than thirty beers & ales in a comfortable atmosphere complete with fireplace. Take advantage of our free Fitness Center and the services of our Business Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, IHG, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Otel and Venere so you can book your Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.