“Decent Place, I'd Stay Here Again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar

You added Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   618 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
New Lenox, Illinois
“Decent Place, I'd Stay Here Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed at this hotel this past weekend. Came from Chicago to checkout Target Field and to see Minneapolis - I like to travel to new cities and explore.

Got to the hotel early on Friday, probably around 2p or so and was surprised when allowed to check into our room - that was nice. Our room with the garden view on the 8th floor was nice. My buddy liked being able to go outside and smoke.

The caveat with this though was the wedding and reception on Saturday. On Saturday morning, we received a note that there would be a wedding and reception that evening until midnight. We were asked to respect their privacy - aka please don't go in the courtyard/garden area during that time. We were watching college football in our room at around 5 or 6 pm and even though it was light, I finally closed my blinds because I was tired of different people walking by our window and the occasional looking in. A bit awkward.

We weren't in our room most of the night though. We were out bar hopping in the city, so by the time we got back, the wedding was done. I can't speak for around 9, 10 or 11p, but prior to around 9'ish, the crowd at the reception seemed to be well behaved and not rowdy, so that was good. The music though was definitely noticeable, and while we knew we would be going out, I felt bad for anyone on our floor or nearby who went to bed early. I reckoned they may have had a hard time falling asleep.

The rest of the hotel itself was nice. I avoided the bar because I had previously read how expensive everything there was, and we also avoided their breakfast for the same reason. The location is in the middle of downtown, and a block from the light rail system. The bars over by Target Center are not far. Everything around downtown is not a far walk. Our location is more in the dead zone during weekends - probably more of a business place, considering the convenience store within the NorthStar center closed at 3p on Saturdays. The nearby Walgreens also closed early on Saturday - coming from Chicago, that just seemed weird.

The only minor negative are the elevators. Even with three of them, you sometimes had to wait two to three minutes, even at 10:30pm on Friday night. Overall though, our room was clean and appeared to be well kept, and that is most important. On the plus, there were a lot of outlets, so use of laptops, phone charging, etc., was no issue at all.

Overall, I found this hotel to be suitable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

The lighting in my room was inadequate. You could turn on all lights and it was still insufficient. My room had direct access to 8th floor patio and garden, so to get daylight, you have to give up privacy. The chest press at the fitness center was broken. No jacuzzi or swimming pool. At $16.95, the breakfast buffet was quite expensive for what it offers. On the positive side, the staff is friendly and the cleanliness is very good. The rate negotiated by my business conference was competitive. So, if you really like downtown Minneapolis, this place is good enough to sleep at night after you enjoy all that downtown has to offer.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the eight floor that have direct eyesight on the patio if you value your privacy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Good location, clean rooms, average breakfast (also, overpriced). Beautiful terrace.
Small fitness room, no pool or sauna.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011 via mobile

I am currently staying at this hotel and I must say that it couldn't be more perfect. The only negative thing I can think of is the fact that you must pay for wireless Internet.
The service-EXCELLENT! Today was a very special day for me and my fiancé. Brandon (the manager) helped me by keeping the sky garden open a few extra minutes so I could propose. He went out of his way to accommodate me by searching all over for the correct associate to keep the garden unlocked.
He, along with Bill and Kate (front desk associates) were so courteous by answering all of my annoying tourist questions.
I have seen previous reviews about people complaining about the smallness of the elevators and room space, I'm not sure what you could ask for in terms of that. The hotel was built years ago, but the owners have done a FANTASTIC job in keeping it updated and clean.
Security is pretty tight. All guest floors are room key access and I have seen security guards walking the public areas.
This hotel's location seems safe for family and business events.
I would DEFINATELY stay here again and I have already recommended this hotel to friends who are stating in downtown Minneapolis in the near future.
Keep up the good work Crowne Plaza. You have my business, and you will exertions we stay in Minneapolis.

• Stayed August 2011
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Priceline booked us into CP Northstar. After reading multiple reports of BED BUGS at this location on several sites, we called the hotel wherein the person on the phone flat out lied to us. We asked Priceline to book us elsewhere, they declined. Lesson learned, Priceline sucks as much as Crowne Plaza management.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManager618, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
We appreciate your feedback. I believe that you spoke with me, the General Manager, when you called to inquire about what you had read on line. As I explained during that conversation, we use a very reputable Pest Control Company and we have documentation proving that we immediately address all possible bedbug situations and react accordingly. I take great pride in the cleanliness of our hotel and we take these situations very seriously. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have further questions or concerns.
Baxter, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Northstar following a Twins game. The guest service personnel were very professional and the rooms were very clean. The location of this hotel is very convenient for any downtown activities. It's walking distance to any downtown location and the skyways are great for unideal weather. There are many small shops and restaurants along the skyways. It was interesting to learn Minneapolis has the most skyways of any US city...about 8 miles total. It was a very good stay and we will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2011
Maple Grove, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Booked this hotel for a bachelorette party and was very happy with the service and rooms. I had requested connecting rooms and although they weren't able to guarantee it, they did fulfill this upon check in. The rooms were very modern and clean. The rooms were more spacious than I expected based on other reviews on here. And, as an added bonus, you're only a few blocks away from some popular bars and restaurants. I'd definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar? Share your experiences!