“They do not get it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown

You added Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   425 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55415 (Formerly Comfort Suites) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
fort dodge
“They do not get it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Thought about doing this review for a long time and I keep coming back to this hotels customer service, or lack thereof, they just do not get it. It's a nice hotel with a nice lobby and ease of parking. They have breakfast in the morning, which looks more impressive than it is. There is a large expanse of food, however if you draw a line down middle, the right side is a mirror image of the left side. This does help when you have a large crowd down there in the morning, now if they only did that with the coffee that would be great, but all the coffee is put in a small space that everyone gathers around. The rooms are good sized, but ours had inadequate cooling. Upper rooms were warm and cooling system would not cool it down and of course the windows are pop-riveted shut. I had an additional concern (lack of hot water) with the room which I discussed with the front desk, they said they would look into it, no follow-up was ever given to me and I assure you the concern was not fixed.
I did have one staff member spend time with me giving me directions, but the other staff members I came into contact with were indifferent, especially the front desk.
Overall, a clean hotel with nice views, but my concerns were minimized and the staff were unresponsive, poor customer service.

Stayed March 2015
Jay S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear John I,
Thank you for reviewing the hotel on Tripadvisor. I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations by providing outstanding customer service. The staff could have done a better job explaining the AC to you during the cooler months or offering options to correct the situation. During the winter months we do not have AC in the guest rooms in order to supply the rooms with more efficient heat in the form of steam. This is because of the extreme cold weather in Minneapolis. Sometimes during the shoulder month, it can warm up causing the rooms to be warmer during the day. We are in the process of installing new insulated windows that will help eliminate this challenge. Please do contact me at your convenience at jay.slaboch@hyatt.com or 612.333.3111 so that we can attempt to make it up to you.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We really enjoyed the suite we rented at the Hyatt. Lots of space, the room was very clean, and very modernly decorated. I slept on the pullout sofa, and I must say it was one of the most comfortable pull outs i've ever slept on, there was no bar sticking into my back! The only complaint I have from my short amount of time there is that there is no ATM on site! I asked two different Front Desk Representatives where to locate one and their directions were AWFUL- "go down to street level and take a left". It sounds really simple but I never found the ATM. The skyway was also closed when we went so we couldn't get anywhere. I also find it strange the FD staff doesn't wear a uniform. Everyone was dressed differently. Breakfast was pretty good, I loved the look of the breakfast area. One last thing, the housekeeper who cleaned our room knocked on our door before check out time. I felt a little like I was being rushed out of the hotel. I would stay again if needed-I'd just be sure to get cash from the ATM before arrival! Haha! Thanks for a great stay, Hyatt staff!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear sjm4738,
We appreciate that you took your time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that our service did not earn us a 5 point review. The closest ATM is out the elevators to the left, but not on the street level, but rather the skyway level. It is not our brand standard to have an ATM within the hotel. You are correct that our desk does dress differently as we give our staff the option of 4 different style shirts. Supervisors and managers do wear suites, but everyone should have a nametag. I do hope that you will join us again when you travels are back in Minneapolis.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is my go to place to stay when I am in Minneapolis. The rooms are very commodious and the service is always great. The folks at the front desk are always kind and remember me when I check in. The bar area is solid and the gym is pretty good for a Hotel.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear jonathan n,
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We do appreciate the 5 point review. I am happy to hear that the staff provided great customer service and the facility was to your liking. I hope to see again should your travels bring you back to Minneapolis.

Kansas City, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We recently stayed at Hyatt Place in Minneapoils during a volleyball tournament. Although we were assigned this hotel through the volleyball tournament system, we would choose to stay here again. The breakfast bar was second to none, the spinach artichoke pizza was fabulous and the staff was friendly and helpful. Especially considering we traveled with many kids for the tournament.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Dear Sandy W,
Thank you so much for the great 5 point review on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel. Perhaps we will see you again next year for the same tournament.

Bloomington, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Lots of good things about this hotel. At the south edge of downtown Minneapolis, it's handy to business, the Convention Center, and shopping. Its location on Nicollet Mall means it's easily accessible by public transport--buses go up & down Nicollet Mall every few minutes; and it's 8 blocks from the 5th St light rail station. Once inside, the Hyatt is an impressive place. As with all other Hyatt Regency hotels I've visited, there's an air of professionalism, every hair in place as it were; and employees are friendly and eager to help. I especially enjoyed the new-to-me check-in process--I checked in online in the morning and immediately got an email advising that my room was ready(this was 5 hrs before check-in time!); my room # was indicated in the email also! When I got to the hotel, I bypassed the reception counter, going straight to the computer check-in kiosk(finally found it at the end of the reception desks). Touched "Check In', waved the bar code from my check-in email, and the machine dispensed my key card. This is fun tech and really saves time when lots of folks are checking in. I had a Club room on the 22nd floor--stunning views of Minneapolis. The room was clean, quiet, nicely decorated, with lots of connections for tech. I was there for an event that started around 6 pm, so the Club lounge came in very handy to fuel up for the evening. They had some tasty hors-d'oeuvres, wine & beer, coffee, and an efficient and friendly concierge to help and answer any questions. The event I attended was very well organized; it's obvious the staff pays a lot of attention to detail. Only one negative among all this goodness: my room had 2 double(queen?) beds; I was glad of this when I turned down the covers on one bed and found a blood stain the hotel's laundry had failed to remove. Thankfully, there were no stains on the other bed's sheets so I didn't have to deal with having to call Housekeeping at the end of a long exhausting evening. It's a turn-off to find even a small stain in a high class hotel. But as I said, it's the only negative. Oh, and hot water came quickly and was plentiful! Back to the lounge for coffee and a large and varied breakfast spread. You have your choice of newspapers--WSJ. USA Today, Mpls Star Tribune. Hopped on the free bus directly across the street from the hotel, to the light rail train that takes you to both air terminals in under 30 minutes. I'd recommend for business travel, or leisure/fun with families(gym & pool on site).

Room Tip: choose a Club floor room, they are quiet
Green Features: makes a good effort to be environmentally friendly, with recycling containers in the rooms
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Jay S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear jayhawk73,
As a part of the Hyatt hotel family, we appreciate the great review that you posted on Tripadvisor. I only wish it were for my hotel the Hyatt Place. Unfortunately, we are the select service property not the full service Regency you stayed at during your last stay. I hope that perhaps in the future you will get the opportunity to try a Hyatt Place or Hyatt House product in your travels.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed at the Hyatt Place in downtown Minneapolis while attending a volleyball tournament at the Convention Center. Pro's...proximity to the CC, newer, clean and nicely appointed rooms. Con's...didn't have laundry facilities, no valet, the same exact food on the breakfast buffet all three days, no 'store' to buy the little things you forget, and a serious shortage of luggage carts. The staff was friendly and most were helpful....but they just don't have a lot of the basic amenities that I've come to expect in a mid-range hotel. One additional note, downtown Minneapolis kind of 'shuts down' on the weekend. Coming from Chicago, I found it very strange...hard to find an open Starbucks and the skyway's weren't open when we needed them to be, which was inconvenient. Thankfully, the weather held out and we were able to walk outside. Not a reflection on the hotel, but might play into our hotel selections in the future.

Dear Sarah B,
Thank you for taking your time to review the hotel and downtown area on Tripadvisor. Being from Chicago myself, I would agree that Minneapolis Downtown does go to bed early. We are also a much smaller city. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our complimentary breakfast which included scrambled eggs, sausage, and pancakes each morning along with a variety of other food selections. The area surrounding the hotel does have several restaurants that can provide additional options should you visit Minneapolis in the future. We are also in the process of getting a sundries shop on the main level of the building which will have a variety of items for purchase. I hope the you will visit Minneapolis again in the future and explore the many great things the area has to offer.

Onalaska, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It is very inconeveniten to check-in and park at this hotel. You have to park in the 10 minute zone, take elevators upstairs, get a luggage cart, go back down the elevator, load your car, take the luggage cart back in the elevator to your room. Then, go back downstairs and park your car! It took our family, with children, 30 minutes to do this.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Dear Heather O,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that your check in and parking was not as simple for you as it should have been. The majority of our guests seem to check in and then park their vehicle in the garage right below the hotel. Our express elevator goes right to that level where you can park and unload all in one trip. I will review our signage to ensure that nothing has been removed. I hope to see you again when you are back in downtown.

Best Regards,

Been to Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown? Share your experiences!