“Sufficient” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Bennington, Nebraska
“Sufficient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Stayed here because of proximity to U of M campus. Hard to find the entrance to the motel - circled the neighborhood a few times to get in. Had to register the car with the front desk to be allowed to park in the lot.

Fairly safe neighborhood - but a little remote from shopping and eating, unless you count the restaurant which takes up most of the front parking lot.

Room was comfortable. Asked for a quiet room - was given one on the top floor, but next to the stairs. Since the elevator was very slow, many guests used the stairs. The fire door closed very noisily each time they did so.

Wi-fi was worthless. There's an apartment building across the way and they all seemed to be on the unsecured wi-fi connection. The manager said it had been a problem in the past - must be my computer. I called and spoke to their trouble-shooting people for over an hour and a half total. They finally said there were too many people using the network. The manager did give me a credit on my stay, after protesting for half an hour. Did offer to send me to another hotel - at my expense. Since I chose this location for price and wi-fi, thought it was rather nasty of him to do so. Told him to offer credit for services billed but not received. Uploading reports in the lobby (separate, short-range wi-fi zone) for hours each night was not comfortable or conducive to business.

Breakfast was minimal and not as advertised. The room had a mini-fridge and microwave. I found a local grocery store and loaded up on breakfast items. See attached picture for offerings.

Rated my stay as "average" rather than "poor", since the room itself was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
chianpad, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Minneapolis/Univ of Minnesota, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your recent stay. First and foremost I would like to apologize for the troubles you seemed to have while staying here recently. I would like to point out that I was a little confused as to your comment in regards to our location being remote to nearby establishments for eating. As you know, we are located right on the eastern edge of the U of MN campus in stadium village so there are quite a good number of choices for restaurants in the area and all within walking distance.

I also wanted to apologize that our free wifi was not working correctly for you while you were here. In order to maintain easier accessibility for our guests, we do maintain a free non-secured wireless signal throughout the hotel and lobby. As in the nature of this free service, there have been times when a lot of our guests are currently logged into the network therefore slowing the service down. I apologize again if any of my team members, myself included had offered to send you to stay at another hotel due to this issue. I want to assure you that this is certainly not common practice at all as we value each and every one of our guests that choose to stay with us here at the Days Hotel. This matter will be looked into right away.

I would like to further discuss these issues with you if possible so please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. We would definitely like to make sure these same issues don't arise for any other guests staying in our hotel. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

If you're visiting the campus, I would highly recommend this hotel. It was clean, comfortable, but most of all convenient. We didn't have to go looking for parking on campus, we simply walked. Especially since they are doing construction on campus, walking is the best way to get around. We walked as far as the West campus and Dinkytown from the hotel. They have computers for travelers to use in the lobby . Breakfast was continental , including cereal, toast, muffins, waffles, juice, milk, coffee. Beds were very firm with a nice assortment of pillows (soft, medium and firm). Towels were typical hotel thickness. Nice shower - good water pressure/shower head.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bourbonnais, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I booked this hotel for the convenience of its location. My daughter was attending a hockey camp at Ridder Arena 3 blocks away. This hotel desperately needs a makeover; it's rundown and grungy. The desk help was not friendly at all and not very knowledgeable about much of anything. I asked where the nearest shopping area was and the desk clerk had no idea ... sad. Our room had an old tv and the volume only went up halfway; our air conditioning unit didn't work; the corners in the bathroom were dirty & grungy, we were only given 2 bath towels; we even had to go down to the desk for extra toilet paper. I would rate the contintental breakfast a 3 or 4 out of 10. Overall, I have to say, don't stay here unless its convenient location is your only requirement.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
chianpad, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Minneapolis/Univ of Minnesota, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
First and foremost I would like to personally apologize in regards to your experience here. We hold our ability to assist our guests in finding their way around the area and around town in very high regards and to hear that my front desk clerks were not friendly or knowledgeable comes as a surprise to me. This matter will certainly be looked into. As most of my team members here at the front desk either go to the university or live in the area, they should have definitely been more helpful in assisting you with your questions.

In regards to the condition of the room, I was wondering if you were you able to inform the front desk right away of the situation regarding the air conditioner and the bathroom?

Again, I do apologize for this and please understand everything you mentioned here will be addressed right away.

If I can be of any further assistance and you would like to discuss your review further please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you.
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stayed at this fine motel eight nights in late April and early May. I can attest to its goodness and its convenient location,especially for those who use public transportation.This part of Minneapolis has wonderful cultural activities,many restaurants,and is very pedestrian-friendly.I also liked their complimentary breakfast.I also appreciated their pleasant,efficient staff.

Room Tip: This motel has special rates for seniors .
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

If you are looking for connectivity and value for money, then this is an ideal option. I was there to visit the university, this worked out perfectly. The staff is very pleasing and well mannered and takes interest and care in what you are looking for. I didn't like the idea of having pets in the hotel, it seems that it is a pet friendly place, so I was forewarned.
Food is OK, so are the rooms. Would recommend it to anyone who is visiting the univ and is not too keep on flamboyance and luxury.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I think this motel was excellent in all regards. Very friendly staff all round, great room and breakfast.

I caught the shuttle bus into the city and they dropped me off at the Foshay Tower which is where I wanted to go. Then I leisurely walked back to the motel crossing the Mississippi River on the way.

One of the nicer motels that I stayed in on my 3 month holiday in the U.S. Parking is free - they will give you a tag to place in your car.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
chianpad, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Minneapolis/Univ of Minnesota, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
We would like to personally thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay here in the U.S. We appreciate the fact that you found our hotel shuttle very useful as having this service continues to be a great asset to our property. We would also like to thank you for saying that you found our staff friendly and helpful during your stay.

Again, thank you for staying and if you are ever in the area again, we look forward to serving you in the future.
Saint Joseph, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Very good desk people. All the coin machines , microwave, ice machines, breakfast room should be in one place. Also no windows or tv in breakfast room. Still fine stay in a great part of town. Great price.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
chianpad, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Minneapolis/Univ of Minnesota, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
First off, I would like to personally thank you for your recent stay.

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy staying not only in our hotel, but also in this wonderful part of town. I would like to say that here at the Days Hotel, we try our best to have all of our amenities and machine location to be as convenient as possible for all our guests that stay here. I do understand that having all of these machines would be easier to find if they were all located in one area. As you said, our location is very convenient for a lot of things in the area, one of these is the hospital on the university campus. That being said, we do have hosptial patients that stay with us and try to have the machines on the different floors so that guests don't have to walk too far to access them.

As for the breakfast room, I'm happy to say that we are currently undergoing renovations to this area of our hotel. The new and improved breakfast will will be more open and inviting, with access to our patio deck on those nice summer mornings along with windows or course.

Thanks again for staying and if you're ever in the area again, we do hope you certainly come back and visit us. Thank you.

Been to Days Inn Minneapolis/Univ of Minnesota? Share your experiences!