“My Favorite Place to Eat in Minneapolis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Himalayan Restaurant

Himalayan Restaurant
2401 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55406-1026 (Formerly Big Olaf's)
612-332-0880
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 1,578 restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Nepali
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“My Favorite Place to Eat in Minneapolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Me and my wife both love going to Himalayan. The food is tasty, fresh, affordable, authentic and to top it all off, we are treated like long lost relatives every time we go.

We usually get chicken momo with extra achar for appetizer followed by a masu-daal-bhat combo. Momo alone fills me up. But the food is so good that we always order more than we can eat. Sometimes, on top of it all, I order their chicken chilli just because I can't help it. It just means extra leftovers for the next day, which means I can go to bed happier.

There are certain food items that are difficult to find outside Nepal. WIthout even ordering, sometimes Nabindai brings us a small plate of these rare delicacies - like sano kerau ko achar - all free of charge without even asking.

We have ordered from Himalayan for catering before as well, and as expected, their food has been excellent.

We used to eat here a lot more when we lived in Uptown. We have moved to a southern suburb, which makes it a bit far for us to visit Himalayan regularly. Every single time me and my wife want to eat Nepali food at a restaurant, we end up here without even thinking.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

96% Recommend
Sydney
“Well worth travelling to eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Lovers of Indian food from other countries like the UK and Australia are often disappointed when visiting restaurants labelled as Indian or similar abroad, lets be frank; that is not the case here, you will not be unhappy with a meal at the Himalayan.

We had the chicken tikka, aloo dun (?) (which was a great potato dish) along with rice and naan. You can specify your dishes to be any heat from mild to extra hot and we asked for 'hot+' (not really on the menu, but we worried that extra hot may be too much!). We were given a small pot of home made hot sauce in case the chef hadn't up-spec'd enough for us. That sauce was great and should bottled and sold by this restaurant, it is very tasty and very hot, a great combination.

All in all, we think it would be hard to not go to this restaurant when visiting the twin cities. It is well worth a cab ride for if you are downtown and do not have a car - its close enough.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Richmond, Wisconsin
“Friendly Service, Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We were in the neighborhood today to visit a local co-op and saw the sign. We decided to give it a whirl and felt like we found a pot of gold. First of all, I absolutely am a fan and connoisseur of Indian food. Despite my knowledge of the globe, I did not anticipate Nepalese food being so similar.

We were first struck by the friendliness and willingness to accomodate us when we walked in. I knew I'd be having the lunch buffet (more on that in a minute) but my wife could not due to a garlic allergy. She also is a fan of ethnic foods but rarely can enjoy due to the adult onset of this allergy. They asked her what kinds of meat and/or veggies she likes. Into the kitchen they went and whipped up a dish that was extraordinary. She smiled through the entire meal! This showed me that they cook with raw ingredients and sauces allowing them to modify dishes for situations like this. Big bonus points there!

The buffet was great. Some similar dishes, some new. There was a multi-bean curry that was fantastic. The naan and crisp breads were great. While all dishes were good including the hot sauces and salad items/chutneys/raita....it was their creamy Chicken Tikka Masala that was an instant foodgasm. Taste, texture and evolving flavors with every bite. Unbelievable. I heard 2 others come in for takeout while we ate, both ordering the Chicken Tikka. I know why.

Visit this place. Tell your friends. This one is a neighborhood gem.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
minneapolis
“Better make reservations for this gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a small neighborhood restaurant. Since the food is excellent you better make reservations so you don't have to wait to taste this delicious food. We had lamb, chicken and shrimp entrees, plus yak dumplings. Awesome! The coconut shrimp curry was amazing. I can't wait to try the buffet.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis
“Vegas can't hold a candle to this buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I'll keep this short. The smells, eclectic mix of diners, explosions of flavor, variety of buffet choices, and affordability blew my socks off. With size 11 feet, and a hard to please sort of demeanor, that isn't easy to do. I even hated to wash my stenchified clothing, dare I forget the experience too quickly.

Visited February 2013