“Wonderful dining experience” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Stag Supperclub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #218 of 1,622 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 6th Street NE
Transit: There are many public transit stops located within a block of the Red Stag. Some of the bus routes include: Route 4 Route 6 Route 61 Route 10 Route 17 Route 25 Route 59 Route 824 A "Nice Ride" rent-a-bike station conveniently located at Hennepin Ave E & 5th Street NE!
Description: Welcome! The Red Stag Supper club blends old school Wisconsin supper club charm with a passion for delicious, sustainable, farm-to-table food. Located in the "Nordeast" Art District just across the river from downtown, the Red Stag Supper club opened its doors in November 2007 as the first LEED-CI registered restaurant project in Minnesota. We strive to be a good local & world citizens by supporting local farmers, conserving resources & composting waste. Come join us for brunch, lunch or Friday night fish fry. Or just stop by for some late night eats and entertainment. We'd love to have you in! We accept reservations for half of our dining room and leave the other half open for walk-ins (except for holidays like New Years Eve, Valentines Day, Easter Brunch, etc.)
Monrovia, California
“Wonderful dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I visited Red Stag on a Saturday evening with my friend to celebrate a special occasion. We had a very good experience from start to finish! The menu is a modern take on classic supper club fare with fresh, locally sourced ingredients and innovative preparations.

We started with a cheese plate which consisted of a delicious assortment of Minnesota and Wisconsin cheeses and was the perfect size for the two of us to share. She and I each ordered the supper club steak which were tender and prepared just to our liking. We also shared a side of green beans, which were crisp and flavorful with a garlic and chili oil seasoning.

Our meal was accompanied by a fantastic bottle of Merlot-Malbec blend wine which paired perfectly with the steaks.

Service was attentive but not intrusive or rushed, and the ambience tasteful and quietly refined. All in all,the perfect setting for a relaxing evening of dining and conversation! Wond

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Twin Cities, MN
“Two fumbles and they still won the game.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Red Stag sits a stone's throw from the Mississippi in northeast Minneapolis on a quiet but upscale trending revival block. Old buildings house architects and high end jewelery stores. Red Stag is in one of those old, brick and exposed timber places.

The bar is large, well stocked and worked by bartenders who know when to shake them and when to stir them. The bar manager's selection of spirits shows a knowledge of quality, taste and variety rather than an attraction to marketing and popularity. The beer selection is not the largest in town but also shows an attention to taste and variety.

Our table was serviced by an affable young man man in his twenties who seemed to be in college or a recent grad. Polite and efficient. He knew the standard menu well but he was a little weak on the specials, having to refer to his written notes after he stumbled and I told him that the fish special was swordfish (I read the chalk board outside while waiting for my wife and son to stop ogling the jewelery store window next door). Red Stag seems to have a dedicated water server on staff. Water glasses do no stay empty long. Your water glass coaster has a black side and a white side. White facing up gets you free tap water. Black gets you sparkling water. We went with tap water so I don't know the cost of the sparkling water.

We started with appetizers. The steak tartar was a racquet ball size lump of seasoned raw ground beef covered with cress. It was soft, creamy and delicious. It came with a cream sauce and pickled beets. I'm not a beet fan, but these were good and sweet. The cheese curds were fresh, creamy bites of cheese with a medium weight batter. One of the top cheese curds you will find anywhere. The home made potato chips were something else. Instead of slicing the spuds into round chips, Red Stag shears off a paper thin veneer from the sides the potato. It is much like a giant pencil shaving from the hand held razor pencil sharpener. You can't use these shaving for dipping because they're too thin to hold anything. They are fried and subtly seasoned with vinegar and sea salt. A portion comes in a large bowl. They were the most unusual chips I've ever had. A must have.

Both the chips and the curds were larger portions than expected. As a result, my wife and son did not want dinner and they elected to split the mussels for dinner. I ordered risotto and our waiter informed us that they had just run out of risotto. I was bummed. First fumble. I then chose the linguini and clams. Five minutes later, the manager came up to me, menu in hand, and told me that they had just run out of linguini. "How do you run out of linguini?" I asked. He told me that they make it themselves. I should have known better than to think that boxed linguini would be served in a place like this. Fumble two. The menu lists 8 items under the "Big Plates" section and Red Stag had run out of 25% of the items.

We got to the place shortly after 8:00 p.m. on a Thursday night and it was not busy. I don't know if the dinner rush was busier than normal but whoever does the food ordering and planning missed the mark here. As a result, I was left to my third choice, the grilled shrimp. The shrimp were decent size, came on a metal skewer and were delicious. The seasoning was subtle and let the shrimp and grill flavor come through. The mashed potatoes that it came with were rich, creamy and room temperature. I was going to send them back the next time our waiter stopped by but my wife tasted them and finished most of them before I had the chance. In the end, I felt like I got what Patty shot at and missed.

The mussels were excellent. A large bowl of large mussels in a white broth. The mussels were fresh and meaty with an ocean taste and a slight citrus finish.

At 10:00 p.m., a band started playing some Dixieland jazz. There are not many places where you can see a band with a horn section and a drummer. Kind of like Jimmy Fallon's house band, The Roots, without the guitars and piano. The crowd thickened considerably in the hour before the band started and the place became crowded. The kitchen pumped out lots of delicious looking, fat burgers and fries for this late night millennial crowd that packed the place.

Special mention: Ketchup. The cheese curds come with a small bowl of ketchup. This isn't a Hunts vs. Heinz battle. I hate ketchup so much that I've violently thrown burgers out of my car window in fits of rage when the brain damaged folks at your local drive through burger chain messed up my order. My wife convinced me to try this ketchup and it was an incredible, home made, smokey paste that looked like ordinary ketchup but tasted like a great BBQ sauce. It goes great with the curds.

I will go back to this place. It has some great food when they don't run out. The building and the habituates have a cool vibe and you can eat outside when the weather warms up.

• Visited April 2014
Bellevue Iowa
“Warm and cozy escape from the snow.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My sister and her fiancee took my wife and me out for brunch last Saturday. We walked through snow and icy sidewalks to the Red Stag. Inside the atmosphere was very warm and relaxing. I ordered the corned beef, hashbrowns and egg skillet. Excellent. My wife's vegetable and egg skillet was equally yummy. I liked the choice of carbonated or non-carbonated water. We had a great meal and conversation while waiting for the snow to quit. We hope to return.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, MN
“Go for The Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We went to the Red Stag on a snowy Saturday night and had the best Mushroom Risotto I have ever had. I don't know if it was the Truffle oil, but the dinner was exquisite. The other guests ordered different choices (hamburger, Caesar Salad and Chicken Livers) and were equally pleased with their choices.
There were lots of young people present enjoying-a little loudly- their evening.

We will definitely return and soon.

• Visited February 2014
“Crazy romantic ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Never been kissed on NYE, and what better place than the Red Stag Supperclub to change that? The food was amazing the cocktails are simply out of this world. Place is lovely, as is the staff. I couldn't be happier. Plus they offered a flute of champagne to toast in the new year!

• Visited December 2013