“A Five Start Hotel at Three Star Prices” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 South Eighth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ashland, WI
“A Five Start Hotel at Three Star Prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed at the Best Western Normandy Inn from November 22 to December 22 2010.
Wife had kidney transplant at Hennepin County Medical Center, which required a 30 day stay in the area for follow-up monitoring of transplant status. I am critical of everything, yet this Hotel delivered CONSISENTLY good service the enire month. The room was spacious, Housekeeping always at your needs, the restaurant food was fabulous. We ate everything on the menu at least once. (Go for the Horseradish crusted Fish and ask for their famous Popovers) Nicolet Mall was within easy walking, even during the blizzard. Our room overlooked the pool, and any/all noise ceased by 10-11pm. The pool water was perfect/warm, and the Spa and Steam Room were great also. Laundry facilities and workout room downstairs.
Wife had to walk the three blocks to HCMC three times a week and always felt safe. Even though we are Packer Fans from 4 hours away, we were treated warmly by all we enchountered. At 10 pm milk and cookies are served in the Lobby. We came down with others in PJ's, and even played Scrabble by the HUGE Fireplace. The History of the BWNI goes back 100 years. If they keep this up, they'll have to plan for 100 more.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Billings, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We went to Minneapolis for a Minnesota Vikings game on the weekend of the 11th of December. Unfortunately, this was the weekend that the roof caved in on the Metrodome so we weren't able to go to the game. The horrible snow storm that caused the stadium to collapse, also caused the train that runs through town to get stuck in the snow and caused us to get stranded at the Mall of America on Saturday evening. After a couple of hours of trying to figure out how we were going to get back to our hotel (taxis, and buses weren't running either) we called the hotel to see if they had anyway to get us back to the hotel. Eventually we ended up on the phone with the owner of the hotel and he came and picked us up himself without accepting any form consolation. We piled six of us into his vehicle and made it back safely to the hotel. I believe that this is very representative of the way the owner runs his hotel. His staff is very courteous and helpful. The hotel is also very clean and comfortable and was an enjoyable place to stay. There is also a restaurant/bar connected to the hotel that serves delicious food. Next time we go back to Minneapolis, we will definitely be staying at the Normandy Inn! Thanks again to the owner for helping us get out of a bad situation!

P.S. They serve delicious chocolate chip cookies and milk in the evening... Always a plus in my book!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

My family and I had a total of six people in four rooms for a 5-day weekend. We used the BW Normandy as a home base for celebrating my mother-in-law's 80th birthday and an early Xmas at the same time, so we had other locally-based relatives visiting us there on occasion. We all agreed that the location - near the downtown entertainment district, amenities - excellent Normandy Kitchen restaurant and bar, and friendly staff made the weekend even more enjoyable. This is one of the best values in a hotel I've experienced in a long time, and would recommend this facility to anyone who needs a close-in-to-downtown location. Extra-clean rooms, great showers, and big flat-panel TVs really topped it all off. A nicely updated historic hotel.

Special thanks as well to the staff for allowing us to use the private lounge for our family gift exchange! It was absolutely perfect for our needs.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

The Normandy is in downtown Minneapolis (not far from the vikings stadium). It has a very large lobby (ski-lodge type) with a restaurant in it (didn't eat there). The rooms are decent, clean and modern. There is outdoor parking for $7 per day. There is free internet, but the wireless reception was poor (I ended up plugging it into the wall). It was a pretty long walk from parking to my room, but it was a really nice hallway.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

I ended up in Minneapolis, MN on business on short notice and with out a reservation. The hotel clerk was courteouss, freindly and accomodating and was able to get me into a great room that was spacious and clean at a reasonable price. The lounge presented a freindly staff, a pleasant atmosphere, good drinks and a excellent dinner. I highly recommend the Best Western Normandy and their stuffed pork chop dinner.

Mark W.
Milwaukee, WI

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

I was there on November 21 for Viking game. We came all the way from Florida to see the game and visit some family. We got there very tired and upon check in we requested a rollway bed. I believe we spoke to the gentleman called Don. We left the hotel for dinner and to visit some family and when I got back around 10 pm I never received the rollway bed. When I called back downstairs and spoke to don, he told me there should be one coming up shortly. I never got the rollway and my wife end up sleeping with my son on the same bed. What is irritating was the fact that we missed the wake up call. In fact, when I called downstairs and spoke to a lady I asked for a wakeup call for 9 am, phone never ringed in the morning. Room was super cold too. We asked for a maintenance service to check the heating on our room but no one did anything about it. In the next following day, we checked out at 11 am and called down to check out from our room. This is poor performance from your management team. I do believe, the hotel is very nice, situated right, and priced right but you need to provide a better service. I would not recommend anyone to come to that place like that. You guys dropped the ball many times. Poor performance from your management team.

Sincerely yours

James Patella

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Fargo, ND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

I previously wrote a review on this hotel in January of 2010. We have since stayed here three more times, the last time in mid-October. We wouldn't stay anywhere else. Every time we have been here, we have been very pleased with the front desk staff, the cleanliness of not only the guest rooms but with the hallways, common restrooms and the pool area. After checking out on one of our visits, housekeeping was already cleaning rooms and I saw one lady wiping down the outside door of a room. I have never seen that before at any hotel. If they take that much care on the outside of the room, they must do a good job on the inside too! The only thing we have yet to check out is the restaurant. We will most definitely be back the next time we visit Mpls. We have used this hotel when going to an event at the Orpheum, Vikings and Twins games-all are within a safe and comfortable walking distance.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!