“Average hotel, nice look but need improvements” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 South Eighth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Toronto
“Average hotel, nice look but need improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a business trip. The hotel looks great, has its own charm however the smell in the lobby, ground floor area is quite bad. The reception staff was very nice. The room that I got on the 4th floor was nice and big. A bit disappointing though when I opened the sheets on both bed and I find long dark hairs on both.... I was too tired to go and complain at the reception. The beds were comfortable though. I decided instead to go to the gym. For the size of the hotel, the gym is on the small side and needs a bit of talc...maybe some newer machines.

I was quite disappointed with my experience at breakfast time. So I chose the classic breakfast and instead of hash browns, I asked the lady to simply replace them with some fruit, no preference on what kind, just some fruit. She said no, I could only get has browns or salad. I asked her who has salad at breakfast. I told her I would even pay for it, just please bring some fruit. She said she is not sure and left... Wow, quite some flexibility and customer service, especially when I said I would pay extra if needed. I was quite annoyed. She came with my breakfast with fruit, wow, but the eggs were not like I ordered them so I sent them back to the kitchen.... Not impressed and the prices are not cheap....

Could definitely have been better...plus the wifi did not work the whole time....

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I would love to give a better review but ultimately it comes down to the question of whether I would go back and in the case of the Normandy Inn, I would not.

This is what was good. The location, guest services, and the room. The room had comfortable beds, and a good quality flat screen which had many channels to choose from. I also want to thanks Kellie for going out of her way to check me in early and the rest of the staff were also vey food to deal with.

But the reason I would not go back is the internet service was non-existent for me. I use an iPad and was told it might be an issue with having an Apple product. I travel often and even in a city like Mexico City, I have had better service. I am sorry but there is no excuse for a hotel not to have good wireless service in this day and age.

The other issue is the walls are thin and I happened to go on a weekend when the Vikings were having their opening day. Lots of drunks whooping it up and partying-loud. Hey, I dig partying as I came into town to see the Replacements but this was borderline obnoxious.

Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

And that's everything we ask for. Parking rate of $8 is also a good deal. Our room rate for a Saturday night seemed very reasonable. We walked all over downtown Minneapolis from the hotel. Check-in was efficient. No complaints and we would stay again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We are glad you took the time to review our property and appreciate your positive comments about our clean and quiet guestrooms, reasonable room rates and parking fees, excellent location and efficient check-in! It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we look forward to seeing you again soon at The Normandy Inn!
Dilworth, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This hotel is fairly old, but charming. The building can get a bit confusing. The walls were really thin and we were right by the pool, so we were woke up from children screaming. Also, whenever another door in the hallway closed it make our door rattle - so it seemed like someone was coming in our room. It was a bit freaky at first, until we got use to it. The bathroom had no vent in it, which was weird. Otherwise the room was nice and clean, a little small, but quaint. The bed was ok, felt like it was more elevated at the feet. The staff were friendly which helped make the hotel experience better.

Room Tip: Request a room that isn't with the pool, unless you like to hear screaming kids.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We appreciate you taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor and thank you for the kind comments about our charming atmosphere, clean guestrooms and friendly staff! We welcome your feedback about the bed and the door as those are items that we can fix immediately and also would like to mention that we do have vents in all bathrooms. If you would have let us know about your concerns of a poolside room earlier or during your stay that is also an item we would have been happy to remedy. Overall, we hope you enjoyed your stay and decide to stay with us again at The Normandy Inn!
Akron, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First of all, one bed was broken down on one side and the carpeting was dirty. Like be-sure-to-wear-shoes-at-all-times dirty. It looks like the entire hotel needs to be rehabbed.

The first night we were so tired that we didn't hear much of anything except at about 3 AM some men were yelling outside and the air-conditioner made a huge racket every time it came on.

The second evening my husband took a shower and ended up standing in ankle deep water because the tub wouldn't drain. They sent someone up but the poor guy arrived without the proper tools. He said the snake they needed was locked up for the night. It seems to me that if people are staying at a hotel, they'll be out and about during the day and want to shower either early in the morning or in the evening. Not to have access to equipment to fix this kind of problem doesn't make much sense to me. And how that room ever got rented like this is a mystery.

They offered us another room but I was just too tired to pack up everything and move so we turned it down. The man thought he made the drain a little better but when I showered it was just as bad.

The other problem was the air-conditioner made so much noise it woke us up several times each night.

Since I was too tired to change rooms, it would have been nice if they would have made some adjustment on our bill but they didn't. My advice is to check out the room thoroughly as soon as you get in it.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites has a long standing tradition, as shown in previous Tripadvisor reviews, of providing clean and comfortable guestrooms and a superior guest experience at a reasonable price. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding these expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. We are taking immediate actions to correct the issues you had during your stay. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail I would welcome a call at 612.370.1400 ext. 504 or an e-mail at jjuza@bestwesternnormandy.com. Thank you for letting us know about your concerns and I hope to be able to make things right so you could give us a second chance to show you the superior guest experience we can provide.
Bismarck
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very Clean. Friendly staff. Has all the facilities and amenities you need, and is very quiet. We like the downtown location... walking distance to restaurants and sporting events. We try to stay there every time we travel to Minneapolis.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We appreciate your 5 star review and positive comments about our high cleanliness standards, friendly staff, multiple amenities, quiet guestrooms and centralized location! We are happy that you are repeat customers and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have enjoyed two weekends at the Normandy Inn, with a friend, appreciating the clean accommodations and attention to details in providing an enjoyable stay. The $8 parking is reasonable and convenient for guest access to the elevators and room. The parking overhang was appreciated for loading and unloading luggage (and camping supplies) during heavy rainfall. We enjoyed the gym with free weights and training machines for exercising. The proximity to many downtown venues provides walking access. I will plan to return to the inn for a future conference booking in Minneapolis. The staff was very friendly and supportive during our stay.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We appreciate your 5 star review and positive comments about our clean guestrooms, reasonable parking, 24 hour fitness center, convenient location and friendly staff! It is a pleasure to hear you will be staying with us again in the near future and we will guarantee another great experience!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!