“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 South Eighth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Saratoga, CA
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

We had a nice large suite, with two TVs for only $125 @ night. Had to cancel one night late because of airport problems, and they took it off the bill. The hotel is very clean in top condition, great bed & shower. Very nice workout gym, and a decent restaurant. It is located walking distance to the Metrodome, the light rail, and Government Plaza area.

• Liked — Great room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights. It was our first time in Minneapolis and we found it pretty easy. It was within walking distance of lots of restaurants and shops and easy to get to from the highway. The neighborhood was decent, not scary. The parking was a good deal compared to the other hotels in the same area. The hotel itself was a bit dated. The decor felt like it was out of the 70s...kind of like you were staying at your grandparent's house or something. Housekeeping knocked on our door several times even though we had a do not disturb sign up in the morning. Other than that, the room was ok, no horrible surprises. I would recommend this place to people if they are looking for a good deal and are not looking for a posh place. It's not a spa or modern, but if you don't care so much about the hotel as the whole package, it will suite you fine. We saved our money for Mall of America!

• Liked — Location & Price
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Marshfield WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I was in town for a concert and booked a king suite, the description reads a king bed in separate room and pull out sofa sleeper in the living area. When we checked in with 2 adult and 2 teenagers got up to the room and found a room with one bed but no sofa. There was an oversized chair that pulled out to be a bed, big enough for maybe one toddler sized person. I called to the front desk and told her I booked a room for 4 this would never work for 4 people. She argued that we did not mention the age of the children, the pullout was so small even 2 babies would not fit so that should not matter. They were full so we couldn't be moved, I asked for a rollaway. She was going to charge me, I had to argue that I paid for a room for 4 I want a room that sleeps 4! She said I would need to talk to a manager, I did not end of getting charged for the rollaway in the end.
Otherwise the hotel was very nice. Great cookies set out at 10:00 to eat! Good location about 8 blocks to the Target Center and about 4 to the Train. Jump on the train to the Mall of America, its an easy way to get there and back.
Overall I would recommend the hotel, just dont expect to fit 4 into the suite.

Stayed July 2008
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

I stayed here for six nights. When I first arrived, I was in a first floor room overlooking a parking lot. It was a bit creepy, in part because with their "interesting" shades, it is hard to know whether or not people can see in unless you close a second blind that blocks all light from outside. They were willing to change my room after a couple of nights. When I moved, the room was fine again. There are little imperfections like a lack of molding down the entire hallway, but everything was clean and they obviously take care of things.

The best part of this hotel was the pool and whirlpool. Very well maintained, lots of natural light and very comfortable (I was there every day).

The restaurant and bar were relaxing, but there are better places to eat just a few blocks away.

I was here on business; if I were to return to Minneapolis, I might stay here again.

• Liked — pool, location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

What a find ! This hotel is in downtown Minneapolis and has a wonderful staff, beautiful rooms and a great Bar and restaurant !
We will definately stay here whenever in Minneapolis !!

• Liked — Unbelievable value and personable service
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

We stayed here for the long weekend and have to say that the stay was good, but not as good as it could have been.

Pros: Staff is helpul when asking for directions or places to go; close to dance clubs and restaurants; beds are very comfortable

Cons: No ice on fourth or third floor, and had to go down to the second floor to get some one night; hadn't been told about parking fee when reservations were made, and when I called back about it, I was told that there was no parking fee... Only to discover that once I got the bill, they charged us 7 dollars a night; paper thin walls and we could heard the women next door at 8:30 am on Saturday

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not getting all the information when booking; paper thin walls
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

I wasn't sure what I was in for after reading the TA reviews for this place ... and I'm still not sure what to make of it!
GOOD STUFF: nice clean pool, whirlpool and sauna...free USA today..free wireless...convenient to convention centre... friendly staff in the bar
BAD STUFF: the front desk staff is SO inconsistent! A couple were friendly and helpful (the women) but nearly all the guys would never smile or look directly at a guest and they'd act like walking cadavers killing time (beware of the two long haired guys working nights -- zero service skills, no smiles)...rooms overlooking the pool have windows/doors that open to the courtyard which is completely closed in so no fresh air and only indirect outside light...or my other room (113) was practically in the basement and therefore had half windows looking up into an alcove.
It was a decent rate but I'd recommend it only if you're a fan of Night of the Living Dead. Please find some staff that like people!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!