“Quiet, clean and nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 South Eighth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #4 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
Dallas, Texas
“Quiet, clean and nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I have spent 3 nights in Best Western Plus. I had a reservation for a king room but by the time I check in they ran out of king rooms so I got a free update (thank you Best Western desk staff!) to a suite. That room was even bigger than my one room-one bedroom apartment, with a fridge and microwave oven.
Pros:
I really enjoyed sleeping here, it was really quiet even though my room was facing a street in downtown. There were additional comforters in the closet in case you feel really cold in Minnesota winters.
Location-wise, it is 5 blocks away from convention center, 3 (or 4 ?) blocks away from Nicollet Avenue, 1 block away from the closest skyway entrance and 3 blocks away from the light rail station.The city is safe in general if you are planing to walk to the hotel at 9 pm. However, if you will visit Minneapolis in winter, its distance to skyways may be a problem.
I am obsessive about the cleanliness of towels and linens. Best Western plus passed my examinations!
Iron and ironing board in the room: a small but an important detail.
Luggage storage works really professionally, they tag your bags and keep them in a locked room.
Free USA Today next to the water dispensers.
Wi-Fi was pretty fast.

Cons
Cookies and milk are consumed in about 15 minutes. They advertise that service heavily, so I wish they had abundant supplies.
There are not a lot of power outlets in the room as the building is old. I had to sacrifice my room phone and clock to charge my cell phone and computer.

All in all, staff was helpful and I enjoyed my visit. This was a nice hotel for its price. I can recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! It was a pleasure reading your very informative and detailed review. We appreciate all your positive comments and hope to see you again soon!

613 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Altadena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great location near our conference and local excellent restaurants. Clean, comfortable, charming. Staff friendly and helpful. Restaurant adjacent had both well prepared comfort foods and interesting chef's selections. Great coffee, too. A great value, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We really appreciate your excellent comments about our location, great value, friendly staff, cleanliness and Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar! We hope you get a chance to come visit us again soon so we can provide you with another superior lodging and dining experience!
Prince Edward County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel combines the best in vintage charm, amenities, location and good service. We were in Minneapolis for a combination of business and holiday and were very pleased with the facilities at the Best Western. Hotel restaurants are often over-priced and/or mediocre but two fine dinners and a great breakfast at the Normandy Kitchen proved otherwise -- excellent classic and home cooking with friendly but polished service. Parking was convenient and we could walk to many of the places we wanted to be. All hotel staff, from the owner (filling in at the bar) to the cleaning staff went out of their way to be helpful. Milk and cookies at 10 p.m.? Nice touch!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your 5 star review you submitted on Tripadvisor! I am glad you got a chance to experience the best of what The Normandy Inn & Suites and The Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar have to offer! It was a pleasure being of service to you and we hope you have a chance to come visit us again soon!
Willimantic, Connecticut, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel was not very clean. No power outlet close to the bed. They have a weird policy for cleaning bed sheets and towel. They will clean your bed every third day of your stay, unless you don't tell them to do it everyday. Staffs were not as friendly as I expected. The view of the pool inside the hotel was nice though.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites. I apologize that we did not live up to your expectations. Our friendly/courteous staff and overall cleanliness have been unquestionably superior to the other local hotels in the past. I could not clearly pinpoint the exact issues in your review based on limited details and would really appreciate additional information. I can be contacted directly @ jjuza@bestwesternnormandy.com or 612-370-1400 ext. 504. As for cleaning the bed sheets in stayover rooms we have initiated an Environment Conservation Program in an effort to protect our precious natural resources. These tools are used in Green hotels to give the consumer a choice between a full housekeeping experience or a chance to save water and energy resources. I hope my response has been helpful and we hope to see you again at The Normandy Inn!
Marshall, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The Normandy is a good solid hotel - quiet and comfortable. Nice restaurant inside and close to Minneapolis convention center. I like the old school charm and spacious lobby. the pillows are great. The parking is cheap for downtown Minneapolis and on ground level - no parking ramp to navigate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! I am glad you enjoyed our quiet and comfortable guest rooms, pillows, cheap parking, location and one of a kind restaurant The Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar! It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we hope to do it again soon!
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Perfect location and you can't beat the price, for the area. The friendly and helpful staff made my time in Minneapolis so enjoyable, and the Normandy Kitchen exceeded my expectations. The coffee at the Kitchen was excellent, which is super important to me. Best of all, you are within walking distance of all the night-time hot spots and the Nicollet mall, which has a variety of shops and a farmers market twice a week. I would recommend to anyone looking to stay downtown.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your very helpful review you posted on Tripadvisor! It was a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed our location, great price, friendly staff and fantastic Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar! Coffee is also very important to me so I'm glad you were able to enjoy. Thank you again for the wonderful comments and we hope to see you again soon!
Falcon Heights, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel the night before the Twin Cities Marathon so that I could walk to the start. Just five blocks away from the venerable Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, and six blocks from the Old Spaghetti Factory on Washington Avenue, the location was perfect. The room was clean. Everybody was courteous. It was the least expensive hotel within walking distance of the marathon. The decor is getting a little dated. (It is sort of a mid-'70's groovy, one could easily picture John Travolta swaggering down the halls in his white disco suit with wide open lapels, stylish bell-bottoms and gold chains, striking over the green carpet with the heavy dark wooden beams overhead.) The bed was a little soft for my taste, but some people like that sort of thing. I liked that the rooms were a little bit unique - it wasn't just a stack of square boxes. Parking was easy - no confusing valet/underground parking situation like you get with a lot of downtown hotels. It was great. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We enjoyed accommodating many T.C. Marathon runners this past weekend. We appreciate your 5 star review and I was very amused by your John Travolta reference. We hope that you get a chance to stay with us again and I hope the marathon went well!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!