“Swiss Chalet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 South Eighth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #5 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Tallahassee, Florida
“Swiss Chalet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I entered through the back door and was greeted by a long corridor that with the carpet and wood beams reminded me instantly of a Swiss chalet. I agree with an earlier reviewer the carpet really needs replacing. The facility is really three buildings within one which not only can be confusing but cause you to have to walk a bit to your elevators.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are pretty quiet. The AC works very well though it did turn on and off with a very audible click. There is free wifi, pool, gym and a laundry area. There is no free breakfast but there is an on site restaurant. I had breakfast twice and ordered the same thing. I was not blown away by the eggs and bacon bit they were consistent. The restaurant is in need of the Restaurant Impossible makeover crew.

The hotel is pretty well located. It is in walking distance of everything downtown. The Blue Line which runs from Target Field to Mall of America is three easy blocks away. There is a bus stop right outside the front door.

The bed was comfortable and for the first time in many nights I actually had a pillow with some support. The shower works well. There are plenty of towels provided. I did not turn on the TV though it looked nice. The bedside clock was very easy to set and see. It is one of those that you can insert your iPad into.

If I ever make it back to Minneapolis then I could see staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We appreciate your honest and thoughtful review of our property. It is very rewarding for our property to read your review so we can identify areas were we can improve and also the things we are doing right. From our fantastic location, comfortable rooms, motivated staff, multiple amenities and classic restaurant, you can never go wrong with choosing The Normandy Inn! Thank you again for submitting your review on Tripadvisor and we hope to be of service to you again very soon!

581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Horrible! This hotel should not be representing Best Western. I cannot express how horrible their management is. I thankfully booked online and cancelled within their policy. I had booked a king bed on May 4, 2013 for my stay on Sunday June 23. I checked online this morning and noticed it had been changed to 2 queen beds. I called the hotel directly and was told the hotel is 100% booked and there is nothing they can do. I was informed it was central reservations who can do something. I called them and they told me they didn't and they finally called the hotel and fixed it. To my surprise they did in fact have a king bed available. However dealing with Joe the "manager" he failed to send me any confirmation of a king bed. I finally decided to cancel my reservation because I was charged more for king bed. Let me remind you that I booked one from the beginning. I never dealt with such lack of professionalism. I also filed a report with BW corporate. Not only did they fail to assure a prompt and correct solution to a problem, but they tried to over charge me. Nice try. Good thing I avoided a disaster!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Nocodemus, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Reader and Welcomed Guests,

Please accept our apologies for this review. It is deceiptful and intentionally malicious. This guest contacted the hotel prior to arriving to confirm his reservation which had been made on-line. We received the reservation for a room with 2 queen beds, though he believed he'd reserved a room with a king-size bed. We obligingly changed the reservation to a king room. This reviewer became extremely agitated over this matter, and engaged in a series of hostile acts, including this scathing but false review. We are working with TripAdvisor to have it removed.

We look forward to being of service on your upcoming visit to Minneapolis.
Stonewall Manitoba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We arrived at hotel Furst impression needs overhall for lobby , very pungent odor .

The staff were friendly , and the rooms were adequate . Not your usual best western no coffee in the morning or continental breakfast. Restaurant very pricey and not all that great. The staff though again were very friendly . Good shuttle to the concert at target center.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! I'm glad you enjoyed our friendly and professional staff as well as our complimentary shuttle to the Target Center! I'm sorry that your first impression was unpleasant as this is a rare comment that I will be sure to investigate and do whatever necessary to improve. I encourage you on your next visit to give The Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar another chance as we offer gourmet coffees and a menu full of classic comfort foods at a reasonable price. Thank you again for posting your comments on Tripadvisor and we hope to see you again soon!
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a large tour group

The hotel is located within an easy 10 minute walk to the main mall of shops and is close to public transport. Wifi throughout the hotel. Pool and spa which my husband enjoyed. Our room was spacious, the beds were comfortable with lots of pillows. and the toiletries smelt great!

We had two 2 meals in the restaurant area and 1 in the bar area. All were of a very high standard (best ceasar salad I've had in a while) and were reasonably priced. My husband enjoyed the range of beers on offer.

All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review of The Normandy Inn and The Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar. We are very proud of the high standards we have set for ourselves and appreciate the positive feedback! It is always a pleasure to service large tour groups that travel through and I am glad you enjoyed yourself! We hope to see you again soon and I will ensure you that our standards will always remain top notch!
Hamden, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel was a total surprise. I was VERY impressed to say the least!
I was in town for a conference and didn't want to stay at the pricey host hotel.
This hotel was 1/2 the price and totally worth it.
I took the light rail to Government Plaza and the hotel was a 10 min walk. Check in was very quick. My room had a king size bed with plenty of room to walk around. It was very clean. The bathroom was large and the water was hot and I have to say for tap water it was one of the best!
Great toiletries. Fast free internet. The restaurant staff was very pleasant and the prices were very reasonable. You can get anywhere in the city from here. This hotel is a gem. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Just stay here is the best tip of all!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our hotel! Being a family owned business we do not feel the need to price gouge during the larger conventions. Our goal is to always provide a superior product at an excellent price. Thank you for making note of our great location, wonderful staff, spacious rooms, free internet and fantastic Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar! It was a pleasure reading your positive comments and we hope to see you again soon at Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites!
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My room was very nice, clean, and comfortable. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. My only concern was the shuttle drivers.

These comments concern the morning driver on the two days of my stay who drove myself and others to the convention center. Between the two days, he ran 2 red lights, turned left on a no left turn light, and honked and actually sped up when some pedestrians were crossing against the light, mind you, but he sped up as they ran out of the way,. Even another passenger commented on how appalling this was. He drove way too fast around the corners that we all had to hold on from falling off the seats. A woman got on the shuttle the second day with a large piece of luggage and he offered zero help.

On the first day I was there, I called at 4pm for the shuttle to pick me up at the convention center. I was told 10-15 minutes. At 4:20 I called again, and was told the driver was just leaving. By this time, 4 others had joined me at 'C' in front of the convention center to wait for the shuttle. At 4:35pm the shuttle drove right by us without stopping. I immediately called the hotel and asked if they could radio the driver to please turn right around and pick us up? I was told they were not allowed to radio the driver as it is a hazard of driving, and they would turn him around when he returned to the hotel. I was shocked as who doesn't have a blue tooth or speaker phone?? I explained I had been waiting 35 minutes already, and that would put it at least another 20 minutes. Needless-to-say, I decided to walk the 5 blocks back to the hotel, and of course beat the shuttle driver.

The second day I didn't bother calling for the shuttle to return me to the hotel.

Unfortunately these incidents defined my stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor.com as your feedback is what makes us a better hotel. I'm glad that overall your stay was good but have become extremely alarmed at the actions of our shuttle driver. At the Normandy Inn & Suites our #1 concern is the safety of our guests. For any guest to feel uncomfortable with any of our services is unacceptable. I can guarantee immediate improvement with our complimentary shuttle so no guest has to feel unsafe again. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon at Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites!
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were first time visitors to the Minneapolis area, and after searching on-line decided on staying at the Normandy Inn for it's location near Target Field as well as the downtown location. I couldn't have asked for a better 3 night stay. The staff (especially Joe) went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed ourselves as well as offered us advice as far as tourist attractions to see, and little pubs / restaurants to try while in the area. My fiance and I are already talking about coming back this fall to catch another ball game. The bed was very comfortable, and the room we had, had a great view of the downtown. The cookies at 10:00 are a wonderful little touch as well. All in all, a great trip that I can't wait to duplicate. Hats off to the staff at the BW Normandy Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to downtown Minneapolis! I'm glad we could make your first visit to Minneapolis a memorable and enjoyable time. Your kind words about our wonderful location, great staff, comfortable beds, and delicious cookies are very welcomed. It was a pleasure being of service to you and we look forward to doing it again in the near future!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!