“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a large tour group

The hotel is located within an easy 10 minute walk to the main mall of shops and is close to public transport. Wifi throughout the hotel. Pool and spa which my husband enjoyed. Our room was spacious, the beds were comfortable with lots of pillows. and the toiletries smelt great!

We had two 2 meals in the restaurant area and 1 in the bar area. All were of a very high standard (best ceasar salad I've had in a while) and were reasonably priced. My husband enjoyed the range of beers on offer.

All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review of The Normandy Inn and The Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar. We are very proud of the high standards we have set for ourselves and appreciate the positive feedback! It is always a pleasure to service large tour groups that travel through and I am glad you enjoyed yourself! We hope to see you again soon and I will ensure you that our standards will always remain top notch!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Hamden, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel was a total surprise. I was VERY impressed to say the least!
I was in town for a conference and didn't want to stay at the pricey host hotel.
This hotel was 1/2 the price and totally worth it.
I took the light rail to Government Plaza and the hotel was a 10 min walk. Check in was very quick. My room had a king size bed with plenty of room to walk around. It was very clean. The bathroom was large and the water was hot and I have to say for tap water it was one of the best!
Great toiletries. Fast free internet. The restaurant staff was very pleasant and the prices were very reasonable. You can get anywhere in the city from here. This hotel is a gem. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Just stay here is the best tip of all!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our hotel! Being a family owned business we do not feel the need to price gouge during the larger conventions. Our goal is to always provide a superior product at an excellent price. Thank you for making note of our great location, wonderful staff, spacious rooms, free internet and fantastic Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar! It was a pleasure reading your positive comments and we hope to see you again soon at Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites!
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My room was very nice, clean, and comfortable. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. My only concern was the shuttle drivers.

These comments concern the morning driver on the two days of my stay who drove myself and others to the convention center. Between the two days, he ran 2 red lights, turned left on a no left turn light, and honked and actually sped up when some pedestrians were crossing against the light, mind you, but he sped up as they ran out of the way,. Even another passenger commented on how appalling this was. He drove way too fast around the corners that we all had to hold on from falling off the seats. A woman got on the shuttle the second day with a large piece of luggage and he offered zero help.

On the first day I was there, I called at 4pm for the shuttle to pick me up at the convention center. I was told 10-15 minutes. At 4:20 I called again, and was told the driver was just leaving. By this time, 4 others had joined me at 'C' in front of the convention center to wait for the shuttle. At 4:35pm the shuttle drove right by us without stopping. I immediately called the hotel and asked if they could radio the driver to please turn right around and pick us up? I was told they were not allowed to radio the driver as it is a hazard of driving, and they would turn him around when he returned to the hotel. I was shocked as who doesn't have a blue tooth or speaker phone?? I explained I had been waiting 35 minutes already, and that would put it at least another 20 minutes. Needless-to-say, I decided to walk the 5 blocks back to the hotel, and of course beat the shuttle driver.

The second day I didn't bother calling for the shuttle to return me to the hotel.

Unfortunately these incidents defined my stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor.com as your feedback is what makes us a better hotel. I'm glad that overall your stay was good but have become extremely alarmed at the actions of our shuttle driver. At the Normandy Inn & Suites our #1 concern is the safety of our guests. For any guest to feel uncomfortable with any of our services is unacceptable. I can guarantee immediate improvement with our complimentary shuttle so no guest has to feel unsafe again. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon at Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites!
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were first time visitors to the Minneapolis area, and after searching on-line decided on staying at the Normandy Inn for it's location near Target Field as well as the downtown location. I couldn't have asked for a better 3 night stay. The staff (especially Joe) went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed ourselves as well as offered us advice as far as tourist attractions to see, and little pubs / restaurants to try while in the area. My fiance and I are already talking about coming back this fall to catch another ball game. The bed was very comfortable, and the room we had, had a great view of the downtown. The cookies at 10:00 are a wonderful little touch as well. All in all, a great trip that I can't wait to duplicate. Hats off to the staff at the BW Normandy Inn.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to downtown Minneapolis! I'm glad we could make your first visit to Minneapolis a memorable and enjoyable time. Your kind words about our wonderful location, great staff, comfortable beds, and delicious cookies are very welcomed. It was a pleasure being of service to you and we look forward to doing it again in the near future!
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Wonderful room and service. Free shuttle to downtown events. Very quiet and comfortable - definitely a place we will stay again!!! And the warm chocolate chip cookies were AWESOME at 10 pm! Parking was very convenient. We didn't use the pool or spa - but very clean and comfortable looking.

Room Tip: We had a King room . . . but it was a suite - fabulous. Not sure what other options are available. V...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable rooms. Our wonderful location, complimentary shuttle, free cookies, convenient parking and superior service is like no other in downtown Minneapolis! Thank you for your fantastic review and we hope to see you again soon!
Lake Elsinore, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have been to downtown Minneapolis several times now and this is absolutely the best kept secret. Costs way less then the other hotels in the neighborhood and is much better in my opinion. In a cool older building and has a restaurant/bar built in. Hot cookies and cold milk every night at 10, can't be be beat for the value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! I'm glad to hear you feel we are the best kept secret in downtown! With many more reviews like yours we are sure to attract many more satisfied and happy customers! Are secret to maintaining this success is our valuable pricing, superior customer service, high cleanliness standards, the fantastic Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar, and personal touches such as our freshly baked cookies and milk. Thank you again for your kind comments and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I've stayed at the Normandy every few years since the sixties when my parents took us (by train) to the big city of Minneapolis to see the Ice Capades. Although it certainly looks like an old-style motel, it has generally kept pace and is presentable if not luxurious. The rooms are very large by current standards. The desk seemed to be understaffed the entire time we were there and it was rare not to wait in line even to ask a question. The hotel van deposited us at the Twins game at Target field, about a mile away, but we couldn't find the pickup point for the return trip (a marked map would have been helpful). The cab ride back only cost about $6, so it wasn't a deal-breaker. We had breakfast in the in-house restaurant. It was good and service was friendly and attentive. The parking lot, which used to be free, will now cost you $7/night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! With so much tradition and history at The Normandy it is enjoyable to hear stories of individuals past experiences. We appreciate your comments about how well kept up our building is and also the excellent experience you had in The Normandy Kitchen Cafe and Bar. I do apologize for what does not sound like the superior customer service that is expected from our front desk and shuttle transportation. I wish you could have enjoyed more time with our highly motivated and professional staff as we are always looking for ways to make the guest experience more enjoyable. There are also limitations on how close we can get to Target Field for Twins games and for that I also apologize for us not communicating this properly. We do appreciate your feedback as this can only help us improve and we hope to see you again soon at The Normandy Inn & Suites!