“Excellent Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 South Eighth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Winnipeg, MB
“Excellent Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Went down to Minneapolis with a group of friends (5 of us). Booked 2 2-queen rooms. From the front desk staff (Andrew), to the bartender (great bar, by the way), everyone was great to deal with.

The decor at the hotel is a bit interesting, but I wouldn't really call it dated. It's kind of fun, actually. The rooms themselves were a bit dated, but nothing to complain about. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms well appointed.

I have stayed numerous times at the Comfort Suites across the street, and actually found this hotel to be a step up. The comfort suites has the benefit of bigger rooms, but I would say this is a better hotel, overall. Parking is reasonable at $7/night, and location is very good (5 minute walk down to Niccolet/the core of downtown Minneapolis). Would definitely stay again.

My only complaint would be the restaurant, which we stopped at for breakfast. Although prices were reasonable, the food left a bit to be desired.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I'm glad you decided to try Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites and will be returning. We work hard to keep this hotel clean, comfortable and affordable. You will find our parking fee to be the most reasonable in the downtown area. I'm sorry your dining experience wasn't memerable but I highly recommend you give the Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar another chance. Our skilled chefs and only the best and freshest products are sure to WOW you on your next visit to The Kitchen!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have stayed at this BW twice in the last month, both times with our dog. We found the staff to be extraordinarily accommodating. The rooms were very clean, quiet and comfortable. In both cases rooms had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee-maker. Parking was included. There were nice-looking restaurant and bar facilities, though we didn't use them. A great advantage is its location - six blocks from either Orchestra Hall or the theater district - one-half block gets you into the skyway system.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites as your preferred destination when traveling to Minneapolis. Our location, service and accomodations make us the best deal in the downtown! We really enjoyed your repeat business and always love to see a friendly dog in the hotel.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Overall experience was very positive. Rooms were clean and quiet. Great bar and service. However, the restaurant service was very slow - good food but very slow. Hotel was full, so they should have been prepared. Love the cookies and milk in the evening - real homey touch

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about The Best Western Plus Normandy Inn & Suites. We really appreciate your feedback and will use it to ensure we stay in the top tier of hotels in downtown Minneapolis. Thank you for selecting us and we look forward to serving you again in the future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at The Normandy this past weekend for Monster Jam at the dome. We've stayed there a few other times for football games and always have a great time. Staff at the desk is great, rooms are clean, plus they have a shuttle. We'll be back! Kids love the cookies and we love the bar after they go to bed!

• Stayed January 2013
Jeff J, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for choosing Best Western Plus Normandy Inn & Suites as your preferred hotel to stay while visiting Minneapolis. The entire hotel staff really enjoyed meeting everyone who visited for the Monster Trucks at the Metrodome this weekend. We look forward to seeing you again and promise to have extra freshly baked cookies and cold milk out right on time when you come next!
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

It was a hotel to stay which was not terrible. More a hotel for >50 Year-olds. Powder milk and crappy instant coffee in our rooms (add $6.00 per coffee drinker per night to the bill). We were quite happy to move to a hotel that was slightly dearer per night.
1. Families - You can stay with families at this hotel.
2. Breakfast - Breakfast was not included in our deal (which to me means I pay $15 extra per person per night because I need to buy breakfast for my family).
3. Location - very good. Central, near the Nicollet Mall, Metrodome, access to all highways was very easy.
4. Room - Ok - nothing special. A bit dated.
5. Staff – No problems for us. Really liked the barman.
6. Other - Parking was good but a bit pricy and the pool is not the most appealing. Barman knew how I like my Scotch. cookies at night was the sort of thing my mum would have loved. Laundry was good, always a machine available.

Room Tip: Away from the street. There is nothing to see on the streets.We had a great view of the street corne...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nocodemus, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for selecting The Normandy Inn and Suites on your recent visit to Minneapolis. Your observations are valuable to us. I understand in paticular you we're displeased with our in-room coffee selection. We have looked into this matter, and are taking immediate action to upgrade this ammenity. Though you may prefer to stay in a more expensive hotel on your next trip, we trust you'll always find the Best Western Normandy Inn to be your best value in Minneapolis.
Blackduck
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I booked this hotel for 4 nights. Joseph was very nice and more than helpful while making my reservations. One staff member was rude and short with me (I guess they had a lobby full of drunk people that night) I told Joseph I was going to rent with a different hotel, he upgraded my room to a suite if I would keep my reservation. So I did. The parking was $7 a day. Room was clean and was at the end of the hall with only 2 other rooms so for the most part it was quiet. The pull out couch had melted on it, so that was gross. Couldn't find a maid in the morning, cart sat outside our door for 2 hours before I just took my garbage out myself and got my own towels and wash rags and toilet paper ect. The internet was free...but it was so slow it was for the most part unusable, I used the internet on my phone most of the time. When my reservation, I was told that the parking lot was "A gated parking lot with a security gaurd" in actuality the parking lot has a picket fence around it that anyone can climb/step over with 1 guy sitting in a little box who opens the enter and exit bar...who leaves at 7pm...so no security afficer. That urked me that I was mislead about that because they knew I was worried about my vehicle when I made the reservation. On my second night, I went down to the bar from the 3rd floor, I asked for 2 glasses of Merlot wine and 2 McGolden beers. The bartender (whose name was either Jeremy or Jeffery) Rudley said to me "Give me your ID" I said that it was in my room on the 3rd floor but that the front desk had it on file. He said to me "Go get your ID or I wont serve you" I said ok and went out to the 3rd floor, got my ID and came back down to the bar. When I had my hand out to hand him my ID, he gave me a look, took my ID and again rudley said "what did you want again" I again said what I wanted, again very rude said "1 drink per ID" I asked him why he did not tell me that before and all he said was "Do you want something or not" I am dumbfounded at this point by how rude he is, I said "I will have the beer" He said "We dont have that kind" I told him I would have the wine he said very rude like I was waisting his time "We dont have that either" I said to hime "why didnt you tell me that before I went upstairs to get my ID, you knew what I wanted then and you knew that you did not carry either of them?" all he said was "I guess so" I have NEVER been treated so rude. I complained at the front desk and they said that they would let their owner know and that the matter would be resolved by 11am the next morning. I waited until 5:30pm 2 days later and no one called me so I called and asked why no one has gotten back to me. I was told that the owner was gone until the following Monday, I could have been told that instead of being made to feel like what happend to me really didnt matter. They had the kitchen manager call me. She was nice. I told her I wanted a face to face apology from the man. She said that he did not work for the rest of my stay. She went on to tell me that his is not the first complaint like this about that particular bartender....and yet they still have him working there??? I was not offered a free meal or drink or anything, just said that she was sorry and urged me to come and try their food because it was so good....ya like I would step foot in that restaurant! Maybe if they had offered some compensation, but they didnt so it was like "sorry you got treated so bad, but come and spend money here anyway" So to sum it up, it will be hit and miss between nice and rude staff members. I was not happy with how mislead I was about their parking lot security. Would I stay here again...absoliutly not unless every other hotel was booked up, and what happend to me with the bartender and how it was handled afterward is the main reason. My intention was of making this my regular hotel since I come to the cities often...guess i will keep looking. On a good note the cookies that they serve at 10pm are so very good, the kids loved it. It was one of the slim few nice things about this hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nocodemus, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
As Innkeeper of the Normandy Inn and Suites, I'm very proud of the highly professional service our staff provided to you during your recent stay at our hotel. Upon your first complaint, we made every attempt to make your visit comfortable and enjoyable, including providing a free upgrade to a suite. I am proud to know that you received top-notch service, premium accomodations and a very reasonalble price at the Normandy Inn. We wish you good luck in finding other accomodations on your future visits to Minneapolis that most uniquely suit your needs.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!