“Funky, old, needs an update, but somehow just right.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   405 South Eighth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Truckee, California
“Funky, old, needs an update, but somehow just right.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I've stayed at The Normandy several times when making my way through the Twin Cities. Every time I check in, I ask myself if I've made a good decision in choosing the Normandy. I mean, it looks like it should reek of cigarette smoke and bourbon, but it doesn't. It seems like I should see polyester pantsuits at every turn, but I don't. For whatever reason, as funky as it is, the Normandy does it right.

I typically travel with my family, so I stay in the 1-bedroom suites. The beds are large and comfortable, and have a very homey, grandma's house feel to them. They somehow don't feel like a hotel bed, if that makes any sense. The sitting area is large enough to comfortably house my two kids, and the TV in both rooms is a huge plus.

For whatever reason, Minneapolis hasn't latched on to the boutique hotel craze (for better or for worse). Chambers is OK, but a little antiseptic. Graves seems like it's trying too hard, and really, it's too large to be considered "boutique" in the first place. So we are left with the Normandy. And that's not a bad thing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Checked in at this hotel with my sister for a wedding in Minnesota. Hotel is in bad need of repair and is completely run down. The room smelled awful, the decor was outdated and and the sheets had stains on them. In fact, this hotel was so bad that we checked out 5 minutes after checking in and moved down the street to the Hotel Minneapolis. The front desk offered us another room next to the pool that smelled like mildew. I've stayed at hundreds of hotels in my life, and this is without a doubt the worst hotel ever.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nocodemus, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
I wish everyone loved the Normandy Inn. Our guests do. However, I realize everyone has unique tastes and preference. I suspect, given that you spent only five minutes here, that you prefer modern style luxury hotels, and the Normandy just isn't your cup of tea.

If I'd been working at the front desk and had seen you were disappointed, I'd have treated you to martinis in the Normandy Kitchen bar, and you'd have been happy as a clam.

Overall our guests love the warm character they find here, in addition to our clean and well appointed rooms, our downtown location and our reasonable prices. The Normandy Inn was built in 1925. A quaint and cozy character remains here while our rooms and suites have all been renewed with the most current features and ammenities including large work desks with ergonomic chairs, LG flat screen TV's with high definition programming, digital thermostats, free 20 MB internet connection and pillow-top mattresses with fluffy duvets.

We have guest service staff available to assist or guests 24 hours a day, every day, and we attend to all guest requests immediately.

Maybe we'll see you in the future, and if so the martinis will be ready.
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

The outside looks old but the rooms are clean and updated. Plus it's right downtown so it's close to shopping and Target Field (our destination!).

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

This was my second stay at the Normandy Inn and I was pleased to again find a very nice, clean room in an excellent location for a great price. Reception staff are friendly and the parking convenient. For runners, a short drive to the lakefront and you can run in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Edwardsville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

My one-queen suite sorta looks like a "U." From doorway to the right: a living area (love seat, armchair, ottoman, wall-mounted TV, end table, lamp, desk, lamp, chair) and kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, cabinets), one window. From doorway to the left: bedroom (bed, two nightstands, two lamps, dresser, closet, and three windows). Filling the space between the rooms is a tiled bathroom with glassed-in shower. Elegant and rich color scheme, comfortable and clean. Great location if you don't mind walking, about four blocks to Government Plaza light rail station.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Kenora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Walking distance or a $7.00 taxi ride to the Target center or the Orpheum. The rooms are very comfortable - we like the suite with 2 beds and a pull out couch - gives you two TV's which is helpful when you travel with teenagers. This Best Western does not provide a complimentary breakfast but has a fridge, coffeemaker and microwave in the suite so we bring our own breakfast items. The pool area is quite big and very nice. The restaurant is very pricey so be prepared but the pizza that you can get from the bar is reasonable and very good! Parking is an additional $7.00 which is added to your bill.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

...how affordable this hotel is! Great food in restaurant. I stayed @ Westin week before and i actually preferred Normandy Inn to that believe it or not. I splurged and went for the Suite and it was the best $20 i spent. Large spacious room, little kitchen, walking distance to everything. The lobby smelt a bit like wet dog but I was happy here. this is definitely the option for people on a budget (or for people like me who procrastinate and forget to book until a few days prior when everywhere else is soldout!)

Room Tip: pay the extra for the suite, especially if u are staying more than a few days
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!