“Food is OK but overall experience not that great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chindian Cafe

Chindian Cafe
1500 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55414-2429 (University / Dinkytown)
612-676-1818
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery
Neighborhood: University / Dinkytown
Denver, Colorado
“Food is OK but overall experience not that great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I liked the food but the place does not seem clean and reminded my authentic restaurants in India. For example, you'll find dirty napkins stuffed under almost every table to hold the table from swinging... this kind of small details alone can make me never return to this place.

If they take a minute to 'clean up' the dining room this could be a great place that I would recommend without second thoughts.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“dishonest and rude owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I wish I could just review the food (quite tasty actually) but when you buy a groupon, use it within the stipulations, and the owner simply refuses to honor it (thus you end up paying full price for everything) - well, what can I say? I would have returned to this restaurant and the owner could have made a lot of money from me over the years but they were too short sighted and rude and clearly lack integrity. So instead of telling all my friends to go I get to go on trip-advisor and warn people NOT to patronize this place. Too bad.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Terrible food, good service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I've given this place the benefit of the doubt and tried it twice. The first time was all around awful. They just cannot get the flavors right! Too salty, too hot, too sweet etc. The second time I ate here I ordered spring rolls which came out covered in sauce. Something like hoisin mixed with sriracha with peanuts on top. Who the hell pre-sauces spring rolls? I also ordered Nina's iced ginger tea which turned out to be just ginger syrup in water, no tea involved. Curry noodle soup was decent but disappointing. Too expensive for the quality. The service was very good though, I'll give them that.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“unique and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Chinese and indian foods come together deliciously in this great out-of-the-way spot.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Amazing food, not so amazing service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

My husband and I have been to Chindian about 5-6 times. We keep going back because my husband went crazy and bought a bunch of groupons AND the food is awesome! Their food is always made with fresh veggies and herbs and other ingredients and it is so flavorful. Its MUCH better quality food than chinese/asian food around the twin cities. They have some Malaysian dishes which have become my favorite e.g. the Kwe Tieu Goreng. Must try it!
The downside: every single time we have gone there they are painfully under-staffed, so the service is really slow. Its usually 1 or 2 servers for the whole restaurant...and we've gone during peak times 5pm-7pm...you would think that they would plan for the rush hours!! As a result our orders have been messed up a few times. Its such a shame! After our groupons are used up, we will NOT be returning to this restaurant...life is too short, there are too many restaurants I want to try!

• Visited July 2011