“A stay you can bank on.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Minneapolis

You added The Westin Minneapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402-1114 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“A stay you can bank on.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is in a former bank building which has been restored so lovingly it really takes you back in time. The bank safe is now the wine cellar and even if you are not staying here take a walk through the lobby and check it out. The rooms are modern, the bathrooms to die for. What's with that shower? I couldn't get enough of that and now I have to figure out how to buy one. The staff was very sweet and professional, definitely mid western hospitality prevails. There were no hick ups with the stay, everything went smoothly the way it was supposed to. Minneapolis should be proud of this one.

Green Features: you can leave a card on the bed if you don't want them to change the sheets, which is definitely a good idea.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

There is a reason everyone loves the Westin in Minneapolis – it’s a great hotel, in a historic building that plays up the dramatic spaces and is blessed with a wonderful staff, from front-of-house to housekeeping to bellmen. When we were in a real bind over our disastrous two-hour non-stay at the Hotel Ivy (see separate review of this terrible hotel), the Westin’s front desk staff stepped in despite a sell out on what was going to be the second night of our stay, honored my SPG Gold status with a beautiful corner junior suite upgrade and made sure they got us the absolute lowest SET price available, despite the fact that the second night was still pretty expensive due to the conference rolling into town.

The Westin plays up its situation in the historic Farmers and Mercantile Bank building, with a soaring lobby that fills the old bank space, replete with Art Deco chandeliers and period architectural details. It is impressive and sophisticated.

Upstairs, the impressiveness continues. Our room was bright and comfortable, with ample desk space (two of us could almost share the desk), everything the Ivy was not. The Westin bed is legendary and provided a perfect night’s sleep. But whereas it is the Ivy that claims to have a spa, it was our room at the Westin that in fact provided one of the most amazing spa showers we have ever enjoyed – a rain head showerhead on one side of the oversized glass-enclosed space and three Swiss jet sprays on the opposite wall, creating a two-sided cascade that made it quite difficult to ever want to get out and go to work.

Everyone from housekeeping to bell staff was as friendly and courteous as the front desk staff, again drawing stark contrast with its so-called Luxury Collection sibling property. The Westin is everything that the Ivy is not, and is clearly the pacesetter among the Starwood properties in Minneapolis.

I would personally like to thank the hotel for helping us when we really needed assistance that first, stressful afternoon, and thanks even moreso for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Higher up is better, altough the hotel is only a mid-rise building, so you will have views of other...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Willimantic, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I really enjoyed staying here. The staffs were super friendly. Bathroom was great. I enjoyed the complementary Starbucks coffee. The only drawback is that there is a very tall building adjacent to the hotel. So if you get a room that is in the back of the hotel, you will probably not open the curtains in your room.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Westin Minneapolis is a great work trip hotel -- convenient downtown location (love the Skyway) and was upgraded to a corner room. The multiple shower heads were quite luxurious. I'm not sure if I'd go back to the restaurant though -- had dinner and breakfast there and both meals were adequate but mediocre.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Wilmette, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over a weekend for a wedding. We arrived on Thursday morning around 11am and tried to check in. We were told they didn't have any rooms available yet and to come back at check in time at 3pm. They were unable to provide us with a room until 5:30pm that night. We knew many people staying at the hotel for the same wedding and everyone we talked to had similar problems of not being given a room on time.

Besides the issues with checking in, the hotel was lovely. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and there were no other issues. I would stay at this hotel again if I knew I was arriving late but would look elsewhere if I was arriving in the morning again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The front desk folks were great. My room was great. The location was great--very close to public transportation and in the heart of downtown. I stayed here for a conference and the hotel is a nice 20 minute walk from the convention center. I did not go with the conference hotels but opted for Westin because its usually a cut above the rest. My complaint--every amenity had to be requested, My wash and lotion was not replaced, I had to ask for a shower cap and robe, I got the complimentary water one day out of my three day stay, my wine glass was not replaced...you get the picture. When I'm traveling for business, these inconveniences are ... inconvenient!

Green Features: I did not notice any environmental practices. My towels were replaced even when hanging.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I recently stayed at The Westin for a brief weekend and I must say it was truly lovely. Upon arrival, my assigned room was not ready but the front desk immediately found a suite that was ready and assigned me the room - just that easy...The room was very spacious and had a beautiful view of the street. I was there on the marathon weekend plus two weddings so the hotel was crowded but the service remained excellent. The hotel is near to many areas and on my run I was able to run the river, go visit the university as well as see the Mill ruins plus falls. this property is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the street plus bring your bathing suit - the pool is great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Westin Minneapolis? Share your experiences!