“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Minneapolis

You added The Westin Minneapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402-1114 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We recently stayed at The Westin Downtown Minneapolis and I was very impressed with everything. The location of the hotel was within walking distance to many attractions, bars, and restaurants. The customer service was phenomenal! The room was very clean and had great amenities. I would definitely book at The Westin again as well as recommend to my family and friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Haley M,
Thank you for the great review, I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your loyalty to our hotel and your great feedback on your experience is very special. We are looking forward to having you back for your next stay!
Warm Regards
WmnGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Warroad, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Family weekend and picked the Westin because I thought it was a high end hotel and with the building being a prior bank made it an interesting place to stay, as this was a family get together that we do once a year and want it to be in a special place. They only had one of our two rooms ready and basically said they were overbooked and didn't know when they might have a room ready for us and to just keep checking back. I made the reservations 3 months in advance and paid for "city views". The one room we did get, looked out onto an electic box and another brick building a couple feet away, I guess that's what you see in the city! The beds were comfortable, bathroom towels had yellow stains on them, room was average, nothing special - seemed dark and dreary. There was a huge mix-up in our billing, I had paid cash for rooms when we checked out but they had also charged my card which was on an account that has auto pays come thru so I had things rejecting from my account which was a mess to work out. We did finally get a second room after demanding 2 single rooms since they were available and they were out of the doubles which is what we had booked. Seemed like a simple solution to me from the very beginnning but instead they wanted us to keep checking back to see if something became available, hello, that's why I made reservations 3 months in advance! The year before we stayed at the St. Paul Hotel for the same rate as the Westin and it was far superior. After I sent back my survey for the Westin, I did receive a call which at least showed me they care, however, I called back several times and was never able to talk to the gentleman that called but was able to make contact with someone else at the Westin thru an
e-mail. We received an apology and they requested we give them a second chance but I declined as times are tough and I would rather spend my hard earned money at the St. Paul Hotel and know that I'm getting the best vs. taking my chances again on throwing my money away on another bad stay. By the way, the bar in the hotel rocked - great customer service and drinks, friendly bartenders - if the rest of the stay was as good as what we experienced at the bar, there would have been no problem!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your experience while staying at the Westin. Please accept my personal apology for disappointment during your visit with the delayed check-in and room assignment. I am sorry to also hear that there was confusion on payment that you have mentioned. Thank you for your positive feedback on our BANK Bar and the enjoyable time you experienced. Your comments have been reviewed and share with the appropriate managers to insure these issues do not affect our future Westin Guests. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this unfortunate experience with your stay in greater detail, as our goal is to have you back for a future visit

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed recently at the Westin hotel while traveling for business in the area. Customer service was phenomenal! The staff paid attention to every detail. Room was nicely appointed and had been reserved at a great "value price" online. Room was very clean, with all the luxury amenities of the Westin. Arrived late and did not have time to venture out for dinner. Surprised at how "tasty" room service food was. Several healthy menu selections to choose from as well. Business center was well stocked and the computers worked without issue. One thing I found most impressive was the customer service provided by every member of the staff. Upon checkout I requested a taxi. The general manager himself flagged one down and ensured that I got on my way to my business appointment the next morning without issue.

Room Tip: Request room with a city view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New Orleans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Just spent the past weekend at this Westin. We were In town for a wedding, and guests were staying at various hotels downtown. This was a typical Westin hotel, with the basic nice amenities. There was nothing special and a few things were lacking. The other hotels in the area seemed to be just a step above. The staff was freindly and helpful, although none seemd to be going out of their way for the guests. We had issues with various lights not working, which housekeeping should have realized. The air conditioning did not seem to work very well, not fully getting the room cool. In summary, we would give this only an average rating.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Westinmpls, Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Westin Guest;
Thank you for choosing our Westin on this special occasion you were sharing with your family & friends. Thank you for your feedback as it is most helpful in our continual strive to improve. Please know we will address the operational issues you have mentioned. However, more importantly, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional & outstanding guest service. It disappoints us greatly to hear we did not meet or exceed your expectations. Our goal was to provide you with a relaxing & rejuvenating stay and unfortunately we did not exceed your expectations. We hope that you greatly enjoyed the momentous occasion that brought you to us & we apologize for our shortcomings. We hope that we will have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our Westin in for a future visit with us. Thank you again for your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor

Be Inspired,
WmnManager
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Dear Westin, thank you for being apart of our 5th anniversary! We are always treated like Royals from valet, check in, at the bank & room service! It doesn't matter you make us feel so welcome! The personal touch in our room each time is so thoughtful and much appreciated. We love the sheets too so crunchy!! To many more memories with you, the Westin!

Green Features: Love how you want to do what you can to protect the earth.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bel Air, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

The Westin has a strong reputation with its name and it didn't let me down at all. It was a beautiful building that use to he a bank and we got to see the old vault. The gentleman that checked us in got us through early in order to make our Segway tour and ball game. It was perfectly located in the middle of both activities we had to do for the day as well around the corner from the Metro to Mall of America, Airport, etc. Excellent hotel and definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Alfonso M,
Thank you for the great review! I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your loyalty to our hotel and your great feedback on your experience is very special to hear. We are looking forward to having you back for your Twins visit!
Warm Regards
Milwaukee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I made a reservation for my 11th wedding anniversary to stay in a Grand Deluxe room on 8/10/13 that is advertised as a "...corner guestroom..." offering a "...Heavenly Bed and Bath, Glass-Walled Walk-in Shower..."

We get to the room and it certainly did not meet our definition of a corner room (I take this to mean windows on two sides of the room) as the "corner wall" simple bordered an internal hallway in the hotel, not a corner of the building and the only window in the room was a single small window mounted high up on the wall. Instead of "grand deluxe", the room really felt like a coffin and was no different than any standard room that I have stayed in in the past, it was neither "grand" not "deluxe". I inserted a photo in this review of our first room, quite frankly, it does not do the room justice.

Additionally, when Weston advertises that the room has both Heavenly Bath and a shower, I take this to mean that there will be both a bath and a shower in the room. Instead, this is their marketing speak for bath products or something like that. If they want to engage in such marketing speak, then they should clearly include in the room description that it has only a shower and not a bath.

Jason at the front desk did do his best to change our room, which resulted in a room that was in fact a corner room, however, it still only had a shower in it and not the advertised bath. The new room was fine, but the damage had already been done from my perspective. At the end of the day, it was still a disappointment for what was supposed to be a special day and one of the few times we get to spend away from out kids. When you try to plan something special for you spouse and buy into the "grand deluxe" marketing, it really was a let down and disappointment when we walked into the room and put a damper on my evening.

A paying guest should receive what they are promised, they should not have to head back down to the front desk in an attempt to receive the room that they paid for (and in my case, I didn't even get that).

To make matters worse, I cancelled a room at the Hotel Ivy to switch to the Westin, a move that I now regret.

Buyer beware, I really felt like I was getting the bait and switch.

Room Tip: Be careful when the booking description says "corner room" as this does not mean that you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Westin Guest;
Please accept our apology for the misunderstanding you encountered due to our website information describing our deluxe rooms. We do mention that it is a room with a Heavenly Bed and Bath. In our king deluxe rooms, the room has our Heavenly Shower as a part of the signature Westin Heavenly Bath. I am sorry for the confusion as the room does not have a bathtub. In no way is our intention ever to mislead our guests on our website room descriptions. I am pleased to hear that the room was changed immediately by our front office team in an attempt to rectify the situation. Our goal was to provide you and relaxing night away for your special occassion and unfortunately we did not exceed your expectations. We hope that we will have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our Westin in for a future visit with us. Thank you again for your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor

Regards, WmnGM

Been to The Westin Minneapolis? Share your experiences!