“It deserves 0 stars...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Minneapolis

You added The Westin Minneapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402-1114 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
MN
“It deserves 0 stars...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We booked a "deluxe city view room" for a special birthday weekend. When we entered our room, we immediately noticed how dark it was. When we opened the curtains, we were shocked to see a window looking out into a dark corridor of the interior of the building. No city view! No view whatsoever, not even any daylight! Needless to say, we were disappointed. We tried calling down to the front desk, but no one answered. We went down to the front desk to request a room change. We were refused. We called westin directly via the 800# for assistance, and again, we were refused a room change. On top of that, the so-called mini bar is a joke. We opened it to find a nice selection of beer and other beverages, etc, but it was all warm, no refrigeration. In fact, it was warmer than room temperature. Obviously we were very displeased with all of these issues. We continued with our dinner and concert plans, but coming back to the hotel was depressing. We woke up during the night due to being too hot. We tried to turn down the temperature on the thermostat, but it was already at 65 and it wouldn't go any lower. I was up for several hours during the middle of the night due to this. We ended up leaving quite early in the morning...well before we originally intended, due to the lack of comfort in the room. We did receive a complimentary cheese and fruit tray from the manager shortly after our complaint, which was nice, but didn't make up for our disappointment and discomfort. We feel like we were ripped off since we booked a specific type of room and ended up in a sub par room instead. This was horrible customer service and a horrible room. I can't believe they even constructed a room like this and expect people to pay for it. It's like staying in a dark basement. We will NOT be back!

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room with an exterior view, but it probably won't do you much good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Mnmom2girls;

I am very disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay at The Westin Minneapolis with both your room type and the room temperature. Please accept my personal apology for the challenges that you had while staying with us. I have also received your direct feedback through Starwood’s survey. I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as we will take measures to make sure these issues do not affect any of our future guests.

Sincerely
WmnGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very good hotel. Rooms were maintained very well. Comfortable for folks visiting Minneapolis to stay. Good accessibility to light rail that takes you to the airport too! Works best for business travellers - swift check in and check out. Wifi can be faster.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

A typical Westin and a typical downtown American hotel. As with all Westin's there isn't much character, but all the basics are there. The room was decent, but nothing spectacular, closet was quite small and wifi in the room was erratic.
Check in and check out was quick and the staff quite helpful, informing me that they could arrange a limo to the airport for less than a regular cab.
The Bank restaurant sits in what must have been a bank lobby, imposing architecture but with a very limited menu, though the steak was generous and well prepared. The crab cakes with egg benedict at breakfast was ok, but nothing to write home about.
All told convenient for downtown meetings, but plain vanilla

Room Tip: The hotel is downtown with buildings on all sides so not much difference whatever the orientation
Green Features: There is no key card slot in the room so lights have to be manually shut when leaving the room, possibly wasting lights and electricity. However their offer of extra starpoints for waiving housekeeping is a good initiative.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Construction everywhere, (= noise, dust). First they were changing smoke detectors on my hall, then the catwalk to the parking garage was closed to be painted?! (in eight degree weather. Yes, 8 degrees outside!)

Pool area had kids. Now they were middle or high school age kids, but unsupervised and bothersome none-the-less.

The chemicals in the pool burned my skin. You can feel them irritate your sinuses without even going in the water after 4 minutes in the pool area. There was visible scum floating in the hot tub despite these strong chemicals. My skin was irritated three days after check out.

There was no consistent hot water in the shower in my room all of Friday afternoon.

The bar in the lounge was not open until after noon on Sunday. This was very inconvenient for me and my guests. When asked why, we were told it had to do with state law... but when we went elsewhere we were told we got lied to at the Westin. So it seems my guests couldn't get a Bloody Mary or glass of wine because the Westin was understaffed.

The WiFi in the rooms is a joke. It was 12.95 per day. I was charged for a second device, it was later credited back to me, but customer support for the WiFi is not at the hotel, it is outsourced.

I notified the Westin of all of these problems, I never heard back form them. Guess they don't care? I would not be happy with a voucher, I won't be staying there again anyways.

Room Tip: Thought the fourth floor would be an advantage. It was not. Noisy, construction, and overlooks a roo...
Green Features: I saw the rainfall type shower head, supposed to save water? Nevermind it waiting to turn on until hot, the water is not consistently warm anyways. I guess they had the "wash towels upon request" but paid no attention.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Westin Guest;
Please accept my sincere apology for the experience you encountered with your recent stay at The Westin Minneapolis. The fact that you experienced so many issues in different areas including the Pool, Skyway, Shower and our Lounge Hours of Operations is very concerning to our team. Your feedback will be immediately addressed with our team to ensure this does not affect any of our future guests. We failed to offer you the experience you expect at The Westin Minneapolis and for this I am very sorry. I would hope we would have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our Westin in the future.
Thank you for your honest feedback and rest assured these items will be immediately addressed and actions taken to ensure they will not re-occur in the future
Stay Well
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had the same problem as in Toronto Westin where the internet did not work in the rooms, there were three of us with the same problem.

We could only receive emails but could not send them. Jesse Brandon at the front desk, was wonderful trying to help, nevertheless in spite of the emails shown as sent no one received them which we only found out the next day. Jennifer Moon was also very helpful, great staff.
The bar bank at the hotel was wonderful and had great staff Lulu Ayele and Jackie Richmond were very professional and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Monmouth, Illinois, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Westin Hotel, in a refurbished bank building, is indeed a beautiful place. Also, the room we stayed in was lovely. However, the service and amenities leave something to be desired.
Our experience at the overpriced bar/restaurant was disappointing. First, no one attended us. I went to the bar to ask for help. When the waitress came, she let us know that "eating" was on the other side but she would help us. Okay, fine. When she returned with drinks, she dropped the tray, shattering the drinks into shards on the floor and onto me. In addition to being wet, I had glass flecks in my hand, so went to a more lighted place to inspect. I was picking out the small shards when the manager came up and asked if I were okay. I nodded, and then asked if he could make an adjustment on the bill. He said he certainly would. We were then shown to the "right place" for eating, which was a table with no flatware (we stole some from another table) or napkins Finally, the waitress came with our food, which I must say was quite good. Nonetheless, we had to ask for water, and bread. When the bill came, i was upset to see that the manager had only docked the price of ONE drink, nothing for the other drink, the delay or the shards in my hand.
The room was lovely. However, it was missing amenities such as a shower cap and lotion, fridge that could be opened without going downstairs and getting a key to the mini-bar, no laundry bag. We asked for a fridge which was promptly brought to us.
In short, avoid the restaurant!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about fridges microwaves before you book.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Westin Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your experience while staying at the Westin. Please accept my personal apology for disappointment during your visit and the problem you experienced in Bank Restaurant. Your comments have been reviewed and share with the appropriate managers to insure these issues do not affect a future Westin Guest.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this unfortunate experience with your stay in greater detail, thank you.

Warm Regards,
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I traveled to the Twin Cities this past weekend to take in a Twins game and we stayed at the Westin Minneapolis for the first time! Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a suite which was an absolutely beautiful room! The room had a separate living room area, large bathroom and separate bedroom with king-size bed. The location of the hotel was great, within walking distance to Hennepin Avenue and a short drive/walk to Target Field! The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were very clean. We loved our stay and would definitely stay with them again when in the Twin Cities!

Only negatives would be that parking is expensive (but that's with all downtown hotels) and that the pillows were a bit uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Suite was amazing!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple