“Not all it's cracked up to be.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Minneapolis

Save Saved
You added The Westin Minneapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402-1114 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Monmouth, Illinois, USA
“Not all it's cracked up to be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Westin Hotel, in a refurbished bank building, is indeed a beautiful place. Also, the room we stayed in was lovely. However, the service and amenities leave something to be desired.
Our experience at the overpriced bar/restaurant was disappointing. First, no one attended us. I went to the bar to ask for help. When the waitress came, she let us know that "eating" was on the other side but she would help us. Okay, fine. When she returned with drinks, she dropped the tray, shattering the drinks into shards on the floor and onto me. In addition to being wet, I had glass flecks in my hand, so went to a more lighted place to inspect. I was picking out the small shards when the manager came up and asked if I were okay. I nodded, and then asked if he could make an adjustment on the bill. He said he certainly would. We were then shown to the "right place" for eating, which was a table with no flatware (we stole some from another table) or napkins Finally, the waitress came with our food, which I must say was quite good. Nonetheless, we had to ask for water, and bread. When the bill came, i was upset to see that the manager had only docked the price of ONE drink, nothing for the other drink, the delay or the shards in my hand.
The room was lovely. However, it was missing amenities such as a shower cap and lotion, fridge that could be opened without going downstairs and getting a key to the mini-bar, no laundry bag. We asked for a fridge which was promptly brought to us.
In short, avoid the restaurant!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about fridges microwaves before you book.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Westin Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your experience while staying at the Westin. Please accept my personal apology for disappointment during your visit and the problem you experienced in Bank Restaurant. Your comments have been reviewed and share with the appropriate managers to insure these issues do not affect a future Westin Guest.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this unfortunate experience with your stay in greater detail, thank you.

Warm Regards,
WmnGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I traveled to the Twin Cities this past weekend to take in a Twins game and we stayed at the Westin Minneapolis for the first time! Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a suite which was an absolutely beautiful room! The room had a separate living room area, large bathroom and separate bedroom with king-size bed. The location of the hotel was great, within walking distance to Hennepin Avenue and a short drive/walk to Target Field! The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were very clean. We loved our stay and would definitely stay with them again when in the Twin Cities!

Only negatives would be that parking is expensive (but that's with all downtown hotels) and that the pillows were a bit uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Suite was amazing!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked this property site unseen on Priceline. Mind you, $60 doesn't get you much anywhere, so to get a 4 star, 4 AAA diamond hotel for $60 (plus the $34 valet parking) in downtown Minneapolis is a DEAL!!! So for $60, yes our stay was totally worthwhile. Such a beautiful building with a lot of gorgeous architecture and upscale amenities. We were greeted and treated very kindly, if not a little hands off, but we did check in late at night and check out early. Immediately the front desk said, "oh you have priceline rate" and gave us a key and of course, added "here's the key to the mini-bar". The first thing I noticed when I walked in was that the bed looked weird. Out of place perhaps? Come to find out, there was no duvet cover.....simply two flat sheets sandwiching the duvet. Also, the sheets looked worn and had faded black marks on the pillow cases (basically mascara smudges that has been washed). Lastly, there was no robe...just a nice padded hanger!!! What?? Overall, the view was amazing, room was clean but small. Heavenly Bed wasn't heavenly....I've had better at a Holiday Inn Express. Shower was great, but the layout of the bathroom was dangerous (shower door meets bathroom door). BOTTOM LINE---it is worth $60 (or even $94)...but you get the feeling that you are "less" of a customer than a rack rate customer with the worn sheets etc. . Well unfortunately this smart savvy customer would rather look for another brand that treats all paying customers equally!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Westin Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your experience while staying at the Westin. Please accept my personal apology for your disappointment as our goal is to ensure all guests are treated the same and offered the Westin Experience regardless of how the reservation was made. I have shared your review with the hotels management team and we will work hard to ensure the issues you have addressed do not happen to another guest

Thank you.
Wausau, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We recently stayed here for the Supercross race. We booked through priceline and got a much lower rate than advertised! The staff were very friendly and helpful. We didn't have time to check out the pool but the rest of the hotel was clean. The rooms were a little small but comfotrable. Nice TVs, awesome shower, and comfy bed. All that we needed. Also close walk to the Metrodome.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Ideally located, the Westin Minneapolis is housed in an old Savings Bank which makes for a grand lobby and unique features. Quiet, clean and well appointed, this is a great hotel for business or leisure. The food here is excellent as well and the service was top notch. The internet was spotty and at times the wireless connection did not work well, but overall a very good choice.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have little natural light, so inquire accordingly.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel serves its purpose and has the usual good quality of Westin hotels. Renovated showers and good beds. The rooms can be small and strangely configured. For example, my sink was in the room itself next to the bed, rather than in the bathroom. Also the gym is lacking any real equipment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was in Minneapolis for business last month and arrived a day earlier than scheduled so I thought I would try my luck with Priceline on a four-star hotel in Minneapolis. As a starting bid, I offered to pay less than half the price of a regular standard room rate. To my surprise, The Westin accepted my bid.

So here I was at a four-star hotel in downtown Minneapolis. Having returned from dinner at the 8th Street Grille, I watched some college hoops (pre-Final Four excitement) on the room's large HDTV, caught up on some emails and went to bed.

Little did I know that my anticipated rest was not to be. About 2:30 am, I was awoken by a commotion in the hallway. From what became crystal clear – via loud talking which morphed into yelling, a group of young women had returned from a night on the town; celebrating one of the foursome’s birthday.

Unfortunately for them, and everyone trying to sleep in nearby rooms, was the fact that the person with the room key-card had entered the room first and shut the door behind her, just before passing out. The remaining members of the party were left stranded in the hallway, outside their room which happened to be right next door to mine.

Now you can imagine what ensued. The three young "ladies" started yelling at their roommate and banging on their guest room door demanding to be let in. Not to insult former or current G.I.s, but the words these women were using would have made a Marine blush.

A night manager from the hotel had responded to the noise and did his best in attempting to get the women to quiet down. But by this point there was no stopping them. They were so angry at their (now former) friend inside the room that they were not going to stop pounding on the door and screaming at the top of their lungs until she woke up and unlocked the door.

So now it’s about 3:15 am (give or take 10 minutes), and the ladies successfully rousted their roommate and gained entry to their room. It was about this time that the Minneapolis Police Department showed up to escort the ladies out of the hotel. Even with the threat of jail hanging over their heads, two members of the party continued yelling all the way down the hall to the elevators, actually hoping to wake up everyone in the hotel, with the officers still back at the room patiently waiting for the remaining two to gather their personal belongings.

Since I purchased the room through Priceline, The Westin was unable to process my request for a credit on my room. I currently have a dispute filed with Priceline through my credit card company.

I don’t fault The Westin or its employees for what happened. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances that could have occurred in any hotel, apparently even a four-star. All I was looking for was a pleasant place to rest my head for the night. What I got was a restless night along with an appreciation for what hotel managers and public safety personnel have to deal with during the ‘graveyard shift’.

While the chances of my slumber being disturbed by a similar incident in the near future are very slim, I doubt I’ll bid on a four-star hotel in downtown Minneapolis again. Maybe I'll try one of the suburbs...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Westin Guest;

Please accept my sincere apology for the unfortunate experience you encountered with room due to the noise from other hotel guests during your recent stay with us. Unfortunately due to the behavior of others we failed to offer you the experience you expect at Westin. Thank you for your kind words regarding our night staff that you observed addressing this very unfortunate situation that affected your stay with us.

WmnGM

Been to The Westin Minneapolis? Share your experiences!