“Early morning surprise” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Minneapolis

You added The Westin Minneapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402-1114 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Early morning surprise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was in Minneapolis for business last month and arrived a day earlier than scheduled so I thought I would try my luck with Priceline on a four-star hotel in Minneapolis. As a starting bid, I offered to pay less than half the price of a regular standard room rate. To my surprise, The Westin accepted my bid.

So here I was at a four-star hotel in downtown Minneapolis. Having returned from dinner at the 8th Street Grille, I watched some college hoops (pre-Final Four excitement) on the room's large HDTV, caught up on some emails and went to bed.

Little did I know that my anticipated rest was not to be. About 2:30 am, I was awoken by a commotion in the hallway. From what became crystal clear – via loud talking which morphed into yelling, a group of young women had returned from a night on the town; celebrating one of the foursome’s birthday.

Unfortunately for them, and everyone trying to sleep in nearby rooms, was the fact that the person with the room key-card had entered the room first and shut the door behind her, just before passing out. The remaining members of the party were left stranded in the hallway, outside their room which happened to be right next door to mine.

Now you can imagine what ensued. The three young "ladies" started yelling at their roommate and banging on their guest room door demanding to be let in. Not to insult former or current G.I.s, but the words these women were using would have made a Marine blush.

A night manager from the hotel had responded to the noise and did his best in attempting to get the women to quiet down. But by this point there was no stopping them. They were so angry at their (now former) friend inside the room that they were not going to stop pounding on the door and screaming at the top of their lungs until she woke up and unlocked the door.

So now it’s about 3:15 am (give or take 10 minutes), and the ladies successfully rousted their roommate and gained entry to their room. It was about this time that the Minneapolis Police Department showed up to escort the ladies out of the hotel. Even with the threat of jail hanging over their heads, two members of the party continued yelling all the way down the hall to the elevators, actually hoping to wake up everyone in the hotel, with the officers still back at the room patiently waiting for the remaining two to gather their personal belongings.

Since I purchased the room through Priceline, The Westin was unable to process my request for a credit on my room. I currently have a dispute filed with Priceline through my credit card company.

I don’t fault The Westin or its employees for what happened. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances that could have occurred in any hotel, apparently even a four-star. All I was looking for was a pleasant place to rest my head for the night. What I got was a restless night along with an appreciation for what hotel managers and public safety personnel have to deal with during the ‘graveyard shift’.

While the chances of my slumber being disturbed by a similar incident in the near future are very slim, I doubt I’ll bid on a four-star hotel in downtown Minneapolis again. Maybe I'll try one of the suburbs...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Westin Guest;

Please accept my sincere apology for the unfortunate experience you encountered with room due to the noise from other hotel guests during your recent stay with us. Unfortunately due to the behavior of others we failed to offer you the experience you expect at Westin. Thank you for your kind words regarding our night staff that you observed addressing this very unfortunate situation that affected your stay with us.

WmnGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Crosslake, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently had a wonderful Priceline booking with the Minneapolis Westin. We stayed just one night and came in on a Sunday, so downtown Minneapolis was very quiet! Our room was terrific. We loved the comfortable linens and bed and bathroom shower. The only issue we had was with the heating system. The room had it's own thermostat, but the blower kept coming on and off so frequently, it was waking us up. Another critical issue: The Westin only offers valet parking - which if you are going to be coming and going, their price of $36.00 might be a smart choice - as expensive as that sounds. We parked our own car - and still paid $30 in parking fees - which just seems ridiculous. (You'd think Westin could make a better contract with a local parking ramp.) The quality of the rooms - considering that this used to be a bank and office building - was wonderful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had a nice stay at The Westin over the weekend and especially enjoyed the friendliness and helpfulness of valet parker, Josh. : ) Not everyone enjoys their job and you can oftentimes sense that. When someone in the service industry is pleasant, it's worth noting. Also, the Westin beds are worth the stay alone. I enjoyed the ambiance of the lobby and bar area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Ellendale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We got an incredible deal for our nights stay by using 'Hotel Tonight' mobile app. From the front door to the desk - the staff was extremely friendly & helpful. If you are staying in downtown - this is the place to stay - a lot to do w/in walking distance of the hotel. It cost 34 bucks to have them park our car - but I thought it was worth it. I would recommend using the 'Hotel Tonight' app & use the promo code APHOENIX & you can save $25 more off your first booking too!

• Stayed April 2013
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I booked a room through the Priceline name your own deal tool, so I didn't know until after booking the room that it would be at The Westin Minneapolis.

My entire experience at the Westin was enjoyable. Even though I arrived at midnight and no one was standing outside to take my car to valet parking, a sign on the sidewalk clearly stated that this was the valet parking area, and once I was inside, it was easy to find someone to take the keys and deal with my rental car. The staff were consistently friendly, giving me directions to get around the hotel and around the city, and holding my bags for me while I went out to eat after checking out. They never once made me feel like I was somehow a lesser customer because I had gotten a room through Priceline instead of at full price (which was a complaint I had read from someone else before staying there).

The room was just about perfect. Comfortable beds, a clean bathroom, and a nice television, and no stains or other weirdness that you might find in a lesser hotel. It made me feel like I was in a four star hotel and not a Holiday Inn that was pretending to be fancy.

This is obviously a business-focused hotel. There were not many children running around, and everything seemed oriented towards having business meetings or conferences, but it was extremely comfortable and centrally located in downtown Minneapolis.

Be aware that you are expected to tip for just about everything, and the valet parking is somewhere around $30 per day. Parking on your own is just as expensive (in area parking garages), and you'll wind up walking between the hotel and the garage. I thought it was worth tipping every time I wanted my car, and they were pretty fast about getting it for me.

I did not try the restaurant or bar. They seemed pricey, and I chose to walk down the street instead and try the other options within the city instead.

Overall, I loved staying at the Westin, and I would definitely go back, especially if I can find another great deal on a room. (Not that I don't think the full price is worth it, but a cheaper price still gets the full price treatment, which makes it a great deal!)

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better chance of having some kind of view, if that is important to you.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We couldn't get out of Minnesota for spring break this year so we took the kids to our favorite hotel The Westin. They kids enjoyed the pool and our spacious suite with two separate bedrooms. LOVE heavenly beds!!!! We had amazing dinner and breakfast in the BANK restaurant. The food is amazing and the staff is very attentive. We can't wait to come back to the Westin for another enjoyable time!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We spent one night in downtown Minneapolis to celebrate my birthday and stayed the the Westin. The location is easily accessible to shopping and restaurants downtown. The room was very clean, very comfortable, decent size, and very well appointed. The only think about the room was the small bathroom that was a bit awkward due the location of the toilet and the swing of the door ... other than that, our room was perfect. We were on the fifth floor - the view was okay, nothing spectacular. I did enjoy the black-and-white historical photos throughout the common areas of the hotel. Check-in was quick, easy, and efficient. While they offer valet parking, I chose to self-park. Meters in downtown east of 2nd avenue are not enforced after 6pm on Friday. I was able to leave my car with the valet while I checked-in. After hauling luggage up to my room, I came back downstairs and drove my car 2-1/2 blocks away and was able to park on the street. The lobby is fabulous - formerly a bank lobby. We had a cocktail and enjoyed $5 happy hour appetizers in the lobby bar. We paid $94 +tax which was an excellent value for this property. I highly recommend the Westin Minneapolis

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Minneapolis? Share your experiences!