“Hollywood style and Minnesota nice!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Minneapolis

You added The Westin Minneapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402-1114 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Hollywood style and Minnesota nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Unbelievable! This hotel is well worth every dime! The service was friendly, helpful and accommodating. I called for additional towels and toilet paper in the evening. Within 10 minutes my request was fulfilled. Then the front desk personnel called to make sure my needs were not only met- but met my satisfaction. The rooms were very clean and the beds were heavenly. Although parking can be a challenge- you soon forget this minor inconvenience once inside. Will recommend to anyone who asks!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Wife and I traveled to Mpls in late December. Stayed at the downtown Westin. Impressive lobby. Room was small. Bathroom was tiny and we had trouble with the door staying closed. The upholstered chair in the room was filthy. Food at the lobby restaurant was good. Bar was good, although expensive. In the winter the lobby gets quite cold and drafty, making it not the best place to congregate with friends.

Apparently, the hotel used to be a bank. The design firm obviously wanted to keep the "bank" feel about the place, which explains the wine vault and the 3 story lobby. Nice try. Tough to keep a big space like that warm in the winter.

Outside of the condition of the room and the drafty lobby, I don't have much bad to say about the place. It was pleasant enough. Service was good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked two rooms for Christmas Eve for our dear friends and us to celebrate a quiet, laid back
stay. Due to my lifetime gold SPG status both rooms were upgraded to corner suites. We enjoyed a delicious dinner at the hotel's Bank Restaurant with attentive service by Neal. We noted that many families, from Spain, Asia, Eastern Europe were celebrating the holiday at the hotel which added to the festive air. Breakfast Christmas morning was as good as our previous dinner. I think this may become a tradition.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My friends and I reserved a room for my weekend Bachelorette party. My fiancé was the person who purchased the room through Orbitz as a gift. Upon arrival we were greeted by the Bellman, Gene, who happily took our many bags and seemed very excited for us. He was very friendly and made us feel very welcomed. Upon checking in, we ran into a snag because Orbitz did not transfer my name onto the room, despite my fiancé indicating that my name should be on the reservation (which we even got confirmation e-mails that this was done). The front desk was not able to verify that I was tied to this reservation which could have been a very frustrating ordeal. Gene really stepped up and took the issue to management which helped us to be able to at least get into the room. Later my fiancé did talk with Orbitz again to put my name on the room. He did have issue with that as well as Orbitz had then put my name on the account that had paid for the reservation but his name on the hotel room. Anyway, things got squared up and our stay was amazing. The staff was very friendly, brought us pizza, and the check-out was extremely quick and easy. I really enjoyed my stay here, the quality of the rooms, the peaceful feel of the hotel, and how the staff was able to help us despite anything.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

One night at Westin Minneapolis. Nice room on 11th floor...no view but was not looking for one. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Enjoyed meeting with two colleagues in the bar during the evening. Breakfast was pleasant next morning.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Vienna, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I should have known from a phone conversation that I had prior to our staying in Minneapolis that this was not going to be good.

I had called them because we knew we had to go out for one evening and the website mentions they offer childcare services. I was told by the person I spoke to that they didn't have childcare services. She went on to explain that there was a room for kids to play in, but it was more for pre-school ages, however, I would be welcome to take our daughter there to play.

When we arrived at the hotel, admittedly, we arrived several hours before check-in. We were switching from The Graves to the Westin during my husband's lunch hour. They told me that our room was not ready. We left our luggage at the front desk which was apparently the luggage hold they referred to and my toddler and I went and had lunch. I had to go back about an hour later because my husband had accidentally given them her diaper bag. Thankfully, I was informed at that time that our room was ready.

The room was okay, but not so "heavenly" as they touted. The room looked tired :/ (Look at the pictures and add possibly at minimum 2-3 years use)

My daughter and I laid down to take a nap and I awoke a short time later when one of the housekeeping staff knocked on the door and even after I spoke loudly for her to hold on while I opened the door, she preceded to use her key and tried to open the door (I had used the safety lock). When I opened the door, she did apologize and said that she needed to check the mini-bar. I told her that we did not request the mini-bar key and therefore, had no access to it. She said that she needed to check it from the previous person's stay!

The "Heavenly" shower was two oversized regular shower heads. Also, you have to get in the shower to turn on the spigot and the water is freezing cold for at least the first minute or two. I did like the smell of the shampoos & the soap.

The best thing about the room itself was the HD TV and the view of the downtown area.

The indoor heated pool, the sole reason for us switching hotels, though nice, was FREEZING! I think it important to point out that there is a women's locker room and a men's locker room, which you have to go through to get to the pool area. If you are a single parent, I would imagine this may be some cause for concern.

On the morning of checkout, we received our bill for the room. It included 2 charges for phone calls made using toll free numbers. It was approximately $2.50 for both calls. I was able to get them to agree to remove those charges, though she said that it was customary for them to charge even for toll free calls.

We stayed here from Wednesday to Friday and throughout that time, I constantly wished that we could leave and return to the Graves hotel. So, I would definitely never stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first before reserving it.