“Loved the Westin” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Minneapolis

You added The Westin Minneapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55402-1114 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Loved the Westin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

I stayed at the new Westin in July 2007 (yes, this is a very overdue review). I had a fabulous room and have no complaints. I ended up booking at the last minute after another hotel (shall remain nameless) dropped my reservation. I was upgraded to the rejuvination suite, which was simply amazing. The room was sleek, modern, and very large, and the bathroom was simply HUGE - almost as big as my first apartment in Toronto! I thought the full body shower was also amazing. As always, the linens and heavenly bed were, well... heavenly. I was in Minneapolis on business and almost disappointed I didn't have more time to spend in the hotel room. The service from the front desk staff was great; I didn't really deal with anyone else. Again, I had absolutely no complaints with this hotel and loved the modern decor. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Fargo, ND
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

We checked into our TINY room and I called the front desk since they said they upgraded us. I asked why the rooms were so small and she said all downtown hotels are that small. I have stayed in every one downtown MInneapolis and this is the smallest room I have stayed in EVER. The windows were small. The bathrooms were no frills. There are so many lovely hotels downtown Minneapolis that are far superior to this one for the money. Beds were comfortable, pillows were ok. TV fantastic...Furnishings seemed worn already and no fills for sure. The Bank restaurant was amazing. I would recommend the restaurant to anyone. Parking was the highest of any hotel downtown.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

I stayed at this hotel in Sept of 2007 and had a fantastic stay. We were on floor 9 on an SPG floor, upgraded from the origional reservation ( I called the hotel in advance-we were celebrating my friend's bday). She was extremely impressed by the room-I am in the travel industry and thus a bit jaded, but it was her birthday!
The hotel itself was gorgous-tip-instead of paying the valet parking price, park right around the corner from the hotel for 5.00 (as long as you don't need your car the weekend).
There were a few issues with the bill after I left, but I called the hotel and they were immdiately taken care of. I also left a sweater there and they fed ex'ed it at no charge-great service!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

A fan of old-world architecture I was excited to stay at this new property, located in a renovated historic building. Upon arrival we learned parking is all valet. While that was not a big issue, arrival and departure is a hassle, as there is little space to park and load/unload. Once we found the front desk check in was fine. As a Starwood member I expected and Unwind hour to be offered or a concierge floor, but neither was the case. I was a bit disappointed in the small bathrooms and tight quarters (I was in a traditional room) and my view was that of a building. My wife and I went off property for dinner, but ordered room service later in the evening as we wanted a snack. BIG MISTAKE. We would have been better off going to a gas station for a hot dog. All the staff we encountered seemed a bit somber, but were nice. Overall, the visit to The Westin Minneapolis wasn't overly impressive. I'd consider another hotel next time I visited Minneapolis.

• Liked — historic building
  • Disliked — doesn't stand out
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY & MN homes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

The Westin Minneapolis is absolutely a beautiful hotel, however the service was ridiculously condescending. We had 6 executive rooms booked; yet the staff treated us horribly, most likely because we were college students. Check-in was a tedious process and they wanted cash damage deposits. We refused this request and were hassled for 20 minutes, finally a wonderful gentleman, Daryl, stopped the madness. Finally we were 'free' to go to our rooms, only to discover that 2 of them were yet to be cleaned from prior guests!

The day of our checkout we were once again hassled as we had valet park charges, which couldn't be possible, as we had driven a bus in. I explained to the concierge that I had parked the bus 3 blocks over in the public library open lot. She said that her valets could still park a bus, which is great, but they didn't park ours. Finally, my friend came over told the front desk we were leaving to go to our football game and that her attorney father would walk the 2 blocks from his firm in the AT&T tower on Monday to straighten the ordeal out. Surprise, surprise, we were free to go.

The point, check out other downtown hotels such as Graves 301, the Hyatt or IVVY hotel. They are just as classy and I have personally stayed at 2 of them and have been treated professionally. Until the Westin starts hiring educated personal who can treat ALL clients in an acceptable manner, I wholeheartedly urge you to STAY AWAY!

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — horrible service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed here at the end of June and loved it.
We were upgraded to a suite (as Hubby is a platinum SPG member).
The suite was really spaceous and very comfortable.
We had a drink in the bar (the old bank) it was expensive but good.
The hotel is in a very good location in Minneapolis, very close to shops and restaurants. I would go back again!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

The two best Westin properties are in the United States are in the midwest. St Louis Westin I would rank #1 but this is a close #2. Great bar atmosphere in the restaurant bank the rooms are hip. A must stay.

Stayed September 2007

Been to The Westin Minneapolis? Share your experiences!