“Birthday treat!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Saffron is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 1,597 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Moroccan, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st Avenue & 3rd Street
Transit: If you are taking the light rail to downtown Minneapolis, we are only 2 blocks away from the last stop at first Ave.
“Birthday treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We went to saffron to celebrate my mothers birthday. We had a party of 7 which allowed us to sample almost the whole menu! I encourage trying lots of little things as opposed to one meal when you go. We had several kinda of hummus and the best was the hummus royale! The octopus was phenomenal! Just the right spice. Lamb brain was ok. Very garlicky. The bastrimi was also amazing. Meatballs were very good as well! The cooked cheese was very good too. Of all the apps, octopus was the favorite.

For salads we had the lamb "blt" which was heaven. Everyone said it was the best meal out of everything.
The duck salad and beat salad were also great! The favorite other then the blt was the duck salad. Very yummy!

The main course had lamb tagine which was delicious! Seafood tagine which was ok at best. The lamb chops were amazing and a highlight for all! The chicken was also very good!

Dessert was just ok. Bakery sampler was good. Chocolate mousse was good and the ice cream was good but served basically as 2 small bites which was disappointing. My wife had a weird cheese pistachio cookie that sounded good but was a major disappointment. The wine was ok as were the specialty drinks. Overpriced and not all that amazing. But the good was just great! Again, many of the dishes were top notch and I encourage going when you can properly sample everything!

Trondheim, Sor-Trondelag, Norway
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Tried the tagine, highly recommended! Great atmosphere and service! I can see why it is regarded as one of the top restaurants in Minneapolis.

• Visited October 2013
Paris, France
“Titillate your senses!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had very high expectations when I arrived, having read all about Chef Sameh Wadi's rise to culinary excellence and his inspiration for becoming a chef. And yet I was still blown up by the perfection of his delectable dishes... In reality, we never got any further than the Octopus a La Plancha, the Grilled Haloumi Cheese and the Selection of Traditional Spreads because we ended up ordering each of those dishes twice! We also sampled the Beef Kubbeh but regretfully never made it to the Tagines, our initial reason for visiting Saffron - we were roadblocked by the amazing mezze. The service was also exceptional, from the hostess who kept us updated about our table's availability, to our gracious server and friendly busser. A not-to-be-missed restaurant!

• Visited September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Soooooo Good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

On a recent business trip, we ate at Saffron in Minneapolis. I was excited to try this contemporary Mediterranean restaurant, which states they blend Moroccan, Spanish, and French flavors. This is a valid description, and the combination of these three different yet complimentary flavors and styles gives Saffron a unique taste. I really, really enjoyed it.

The restaurant was clean and roomy. We were there around dinnertime on a Monday, and had no problem finding a table (across the street is 112 Eatery, which had over an hour wait). We were seated quickly, and the wait staff was responsive, friendly, and very helpful.

The food was quite impressive. We had the Royale Hummus, which was quite good- hummus, spiced beef, and pine nuts. While I wish there was a little more hummus and a little less beef, it was still very good. We also had the Grilled Kofta Meatballs. They were spicy, but incredible.

For dinner, I got the Sauteed Parisian Gnocchi. It was incredible. The pasta was perfectly cooked, moist, and delivered a series of unexpected yet enjoyable flavors. It might have been my favorite meal I've ever had in Minneapolis. The dining experience was unique, and it was a welcome change of pace. The restaurant also has a very extensive and impressive wine menu.

This is one of the best restaurants in Minneapolis, and a place to which I would definitely return!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

From the moment we walked in the door the service was exceptional, from the hostess who greeted and seated us to the head waiter and assistant wait staff. All were professional and gracious throughout. So polite and accommodating. Just lovely. My husband and I ordered food to share for the evening starting with the octopus appetizer, followed by a single order of both the gnocchi and duck meatballs. This was plenty of food for two. One order each of the following with tip amounted to a very reasonable $79.00: glass of wine (Malbec), one non-alcoholic beverage (Prince Charming), the octopus, gnocchi, duck meatball tagine, dessert (Crème Brulee Tart) and Turkish coffee. It was a busy, bustling Saturday night at Saffron, but we were easily able to hear each other over the other obviously satisfied and happy patrons! We shall return!

• Visited June 2013