“Great bar with better food and beer selection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bulldog NE

The Bulldog NE
401 E Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (University / Dinkytown)
612-378-2855
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 123 Nightlife in Minneapolis
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Bars
MPLS, MN
3 attraction reviews
“Great bar with better food and beer selection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

great little neighborhood bar with upscale bar food.

Visited January 2012

Mankato, Minnesota
32 attraction reviews
“Used to be a favorite...felt let down most recently.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011 via mobile

Time to step it up...great beer selection, ok food. Could use a good cleaning and freshening up.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
“Stop by for a beer.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Bulldog NE is a great little bar. The atmosphere is welcoming and comfortable no matter what you're wearing. The shuffle board table is a nice distraction while you're waiting for food- as is the massive beer list. The beer list is constantly changing, with imports and other varieties rarely found in Minneapolis. The bartenders are funny and efficient, overall the service is great. I've never had a complaint about the fries or my experience at the Bulldog NE.

Visited May 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“My favorite bar in Minneapolis!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

I had to comment because all I saw were bad reviews! This is my favorite bar in Minneapolis and I've lived in Uptown for two years now. It's in Northeast so it's a more mature and low-key crowd so you can at least avoid the drunken idiots of the Uptown and Downtown crowds. I love their food... my favorite is the truffle tator tots with a side of wasabi mayo and the aioli (soo good!) Their music is new wave/indie/rock and it has a nice romantic glow of dim lighting which makes it the perfect place for hanging out with friends, a date, a blind date even (I know this) or even just to stop by for some solo dinner and drink action. There's a US Bank parking lot across the street for parking (not overnight though as far as I know) and there is a patio... also on the same block is Nye's, Whitey's and around the corner Keegans which is an Irish pub. All good places to see once, but The Bulldog is my fav. It's worth checking out for sure... busiest I'd say on Saturday nights especially on a home Gopher game day.

warkitten
“AWFUL service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

I have been to Bulldog NE twice now, and unfortunately will not return. On my first trip, I would rate my experience a 2/5. Excellent food, but the service was poor. It took about 10 minutes for the server to greet us and our drinks were not refilled until after we had finished eating. The bus boy, however was phenomenal - he was very attentive, made sure to ask how our food was, and even tracked down our server for us. She seemed annoyed and inconvenienced the whole three times we spoke with her.

As a former server, I understand that bad days happen and gave her and Bulldog a second chance (plus the truffle burger is to die for!). On my second, and final trip to Bulldog it was pretty busy. We were put on a wait list, about the 4th from the top. Waiting is understandable - the food and drinks are great. I do, however expect some kind of notification when the wait will be excessive. In the hour and a half we were waiting (and watching other parties of our size be put on the wait list and seated), the lack of standing room meant servers and customers had to squeeze into the tight spaces around the bar. Me and the other members had been bumped and jostled, and at one point knocked over - again not a big deal if there is an explanation or a "sorry" or "excuse me," but this happened barely half of the time. The staff was rude, and made us feel in the way. Again, our server took 10 or 15 minutes to greet us, waited until the meal was almost over to refill drinks, didn't ask how things were (fortunately the food was great), and acted inconvenienced when we needed anything. Oddly enough, the runner/busser was the most pleasant, friendly person we encountered. I have never been treated like more of a burden, and was utterly offened by our treatment.

I am embarrassed for the owner of this restaurant - I am not in Minneapolis often, and was really hoping that this would be the place I HAD to stop at when I was in town. They really have potential, but great food means nothing without good (I'd even settle for mediocre) service. I hope they either retrain or rehire servers and create more room for waiting parties.