“Exceptional customer service but otherwise just average” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Exceptional customer service but otherwise just average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I chose to stay at this hotel because I managed to get a really good rate online - cheaper than any other comparable in the area so long as I paid in advance, unrefundable. Cool. Done.

I arrived around noon, hoping to drop off my luggage until the 3pm check-in time. Instead of having me wait, the front desk checked me right in without my even asking. That set a really good, positive tone for my stay.

The hotel itself is decidedly "hip" with contemporary art throughout, including an interesting, constantly changing video installation beginning in the lobby and continuing on monitors down my floor's hallway (I imagine this was repeated on all floors). I enjoyed this.

My room was a bit of a surprise in how roomy it was, with a king bed loaded with big pillows that was super comfy to dive into. After one night, though, it was clear the bed was too soft and after two nights, made my back hurt so much I took a morning Pilates class just to walk upright again. Not really, but I did do some Pilates stretching that morning in my room in order to walk upright again - and I prefer a soft sleep over a hard one but DANG!

If you love IKEA then you'll love this place. The decor made the room feel like a dorm room I never thought I'd sleep in again. Atmospherically, it was very cold as opposed to being a nice, comforting place to escape to. The very thin, flat carpeting had significant stains that were sadly the first thing to catch my attention upon entry. I knew I was checking into a "contemporary" space; I just didn't anticipate it being so thoroughly void of any warmth.

The rain shower was really nice and the accompanying toiletries were quite nice, I must say. Otherwise, the bathroom was (I think) a vision of a swimming pool that was even colder than the rest of the room. That said, there was a swimming pool light on the wall in front of the toilet at ankle height that must be the BEST NIGHT LIGHT EVER.

Perhaps it was because my stay was over Sat/Sun, but it did get awfully loud at one point during the night. And early Monday morning, voices in the hallway were surprisingly loud. Not a pleasant way to start the day.

Room service was always very prompt. The problem with room service - as with the mini bar and parking - was how exorbitantly overpriced it was. I travel in comfort fairly regularly and expect to pay a higher price for the benefits of that. However, Chambers, imho, outpriced itself in these areas. I found a local grocer and liquor store and even though I had to leave some purchases unused upon my departure, it was *still* cheaper than making use of their room service/mini bar more than I did. And at $28/day, I'd have appreciated valet hand washing/waxing my car, too.

I dined in the restaurant downstairs once. The glasses on the table had to be changed out as they all were dirty. Fortunately, I noted this before the waiter served me and he went above and beyond to earn his tip in terms of making sure I was satisfied with my experience.

I've struggled writing this, giving 3 or 4 stars. It definitely was not a 5 star experience for me. Had it not been for the excellent customer service, this would have been a very average stay because of the problems with the room, the bed, and the costs of the parking and room service/mini bar. The customer service, though, across the board, was well above par, and Chambers needs to be proud of this.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Hello Jillpatrick,
First of all, we appreciate this well voiced, concise review. We know there was a lot of time put into this review and that shouldn’t go unnoticed.
My apologies that you experienced carpet conditions that were not satisfactory. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as we are currently inspecting all carpet conditions. We also appreciate your comments in regards to the “warmth” of the spaces throughout the hotel. We try to use the art and colored tiles in the bathroom to draw a unique color contrast to the rooms; however there could be some additional opportunity to bring some areas up to a more comfortable tone, we will definitely forward your comments on to the appropriate contact.
Thank you for the thoughtful comments on the superb customer service. We love the fact that we have more opportunities to enhance and personalize each guest’s experience due to unique size of the hotel. Finally, we hope that you received a little inspiration and/or a new perspective away from your visit at Le Méridien Chambers. We hope that you have the opportunity to stay with us again.

Le Méridien Chambers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Our recent stay at The Chambers was INCREDIBLE! It is unquestionably our favorite hotel in the Twin Cities and in fact one of the best we've ever stayed at, anywhere. A smile sweeps across my face the moment I walk through the door and I catch the the familiar scented lobby, and it doesn't leave until the valet hands me the keys to my car (actually, the memories of our stay keeps me smiling long after I leave). From the fixtures in the bathrooms to the unique visuals on the wall, every aspect of a guest's experience there is simply a work of art. Nicole, Callie and the entire staff went far above and beyond the call of duty to make our stay unforgettable. They made us feel like we were the most important guests they've ever had staying with them. The beds are difficult to get out of (because they're so insanely comfortable, you won't want to get out of bed), the location is prime for anything downtown Minneapolis, (our favorite concert night hotel!), and the restaurant is exceptional. I could go on and on but I think you get my point. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I spent last evening at the outside "Eden" oasis and it was awesome! Keisha was a great cocktail waitress. The "ART 4 SHELTER" charity event was done really well and seemed to be a success.

Fun night out on a weeknight.

• Stayed May 2012
WMpls-Foshay, Creative Guest Services at Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Hello Beth P,
Thank you for joining us for the Art 4 Shelter event! It was an incredible success! We appreciate your gracious words and we will share them with the Le Méridien Chambers and D’Amico Kitchen teams!

Best,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed at the Chambers last year for a weekend while in town for a wedding. After arriving and quickly going through the check in process we made it up to our super funky room. It was an extremely spacious king bed loft with 2 bathrooms! The hallway leading to the room had super modern art video installations playing. The vibe was extremely hip and fun. The bed was fantastic as well as the shower. The bathroom actually had a television at the toilet! Total excess. The hotel seemed to be at very low occupancy that weekend and the hotel seemed hipper than everything else around. It was a perfectly located spot close to everything downtown. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: AsK for a high floor!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
WMpls-Foshay, Creative Guest Services at Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Hello Grinadam,

We appreciate such a fantastic review from a Senior Contributor to Trip Advisor! It’s great to read about the appreciation for such beautiful art installations throughout the hotel! We are excited to share this review with the Le Méridien team! See you soon!

Thank you!
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

You know, it's a lot of things, this hotel. It's fun, funky, classy, well-appointed, special and positively worth frequenting. As you enter you are struck by an amazing scent, purple mood lighting and a welcoming fire. There are little quirks throughout the building that surprise and delight. Each room Ive been in has an outstanding shower and tub combo - great bed and nice seating area.

Service is fantastic - to the point of one of the office workers giving up her iPhone adapter so that I might have power during my stay!

Extras: The room service doesn't aways deliver but the restaurant does. Workout area is fine - small as you might expect.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

One night getaway for anniversary. Great location, can walk to everything. Small, boutique hotel, funky art, white walls, contemporary furnishings. Super comfy beds. 5 stories high, U shaped, with bar in the middle outside on the street level. Had read all the reviews, and only thing negative on this hotel was the loud music from bar area. Called the day before our arrival requesting a room not by the bar. She assured me it would be quiet as the bar was closed & wouldn't be an issue. So we check in & of course got a room overlooking the bar area. Really cool bar area, checked it out when we arrived at 3pm, music was piped in thru speakers out there. Assumed they would turn it off at reasonable hour, as the bar was not supposed to be open. So it was 11pm, Midnight, 1am & music is still blasting, lights are off, no one there, so I called front desk & asked when they turn it off & he says 2am!! I told him & I had called ahead requesting room away from music & was told bar was going to be closed, he apologized and turned off the music 5 minutes later. I wish Chambers would respect their customers & travelers reviews as it seems the music is their only problem.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the bar area if you want any sleep!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Bid on a 1-night stay at a charity auction. It was a very short stay but very enjoyable. The location is great ... Right in the heart of the theatre district. Target Center and Target Field are only a few blocks away.
The room was very spacious with a pillow-top king size bed. A nice collection of pillows so it was easy to find one that was just right. The decor was pretty trendy ... A lot of white. We were right off the elevator .., I was a little concerned about noise, but that ended up being a non-issue.
We had dinner elsewhere but stopped back at the hotel for a night cap. A jazz trio was playing in the lower level of D'amico Kitchen. They were able to prepare a hot chocolate with steamed milk for my wife. Very nice way to end the evening.
Parking can be a bit expensive, after unloading, I drove 4 blocks away ... East of Marquette, where the meters are free after 6pm on Friday ... And all weekend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
WMpls-Foshay, Creative Guest Services at Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Hello Chris0329,
Thank you for sharing your Le Méridien experience with us! We hope that you felt inspired during your visit. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Benny Weinbeck Trio as they are a house favorite! We look forward to your next experience and review of Le Méridien Chambers.

Cheers to a new perspective,

Le Méridien Chambers

Been to Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis? Share your experiences!