“Some of the best Thai dishes in the area.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
MN
“Some of the best Thai dishes in the area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have eaten at some of the best Thai food places in the country ~ we LOVE Thai food. One of our favorites - Tom Kha soup, which is available in just about every Thai place, has been really below average in every place we've gone in Minnesota so far. Bagu's however was great! We were all thrilled to finally have had a tasty bowl of soup that wasn't filled with inedible bits ~ seriously, up to half the volume in some cases! Sure there were a few pieces in it, but nothing compared to everywhere else. I have to say that MN is the first place we have experienced this...no other restaurant we've gone to serves soup with things in it you can't eat! (Chopped judges would be appalled!) So, the sea weed salad was also delicious, but did seem small for the price. Our entrees, the Chicken Thai Basil and Green Curry with Chicken were excellent! We did ask about heat level and since she said it was mild, we asked to have it spiced up a bit. Both were excellent, and we were in Thai heaven. Our daughter had the lunch serving of Sashimi and loved every bite. She did let us have her salmon as she doesn't care for it. We loved it.
Their Thai Iced Tea was also perfectly balanced, good strong tea and just the right amount of cream.
As for service, there were not many tables (we were there for lunch) and we got there just before 1 pm ~ they close at 1:30 pm. so we had great service.
Needless to say, they are now our favorite place for Thai and we will also be checking out more of the menu items. We live 42 miles away and it's worth the trip!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Richfield, Minnesota
“Very good sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We at Bagu last Sunday evening, and I thought the sushi was excellent. I will never claim to be an expert on sushi; compared to other sushi places in the metro area I thought Bagu's sushi tasted as good or if not better than some of the more poplar places. I will definitely consider this sushi place my new favorite. Staff was very friendly, and good Sunday night happy hour prices on food and drinks.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, MN
“Yummy rolls”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

I've been here a few times and find the rolls quite tasty. I haven't tried the Thai food so can't speak to that. The service is friendly and they have a nice patio during the warmer months. I think the rolls such as the French Kiss and Scorpion rolls are quite good. The appetizers such as the Japanese bagel balls and salmon carpaccio are so good I get them every time I'm there. It's a small space, reminds me a bit of being in a restaurant in NYC.

Minneapolis
“Not the best sushi, unfortunately”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We went here last night for my husband's birthday. The patio was pleasant enough, and the happy hour drink special of 2-for-1 Sapporo (and other beers/wine) was welcome. But the sushi was average at best.

The Spider Roll had small shriveled blue crab legs sticking out of the ends, and on top of that it was so small that it had to be cut into 5 pieces rather than 6; this makes sharing it an awkward experience. The gyoza likewise came 5 to a plate; again, makes sharing difficult. THese were the first two items we ordered, by the way; our main order was placed separately.

For our main order, we tried another roll and several nigiri. The Four Seasons roll was awesomely beautiful, with 4 colors of tobiko (flying fish roe) on top, but the tuna inside was less than stellar and the different colors of tobiko all tasted the same. Would have expected at least one of them to taste unique, like tobiko wasabe for example, but no joy. The sake (salmon) nigiri was buttery but was definitely farm-raised rather than the more delicious Alaskan sockeye, which is in season right now (Kenai sockeye, anyway, which is pretty awesome). The hotate (raw scallop) nigiri was OK but did not approach the sweetness we've enjoyed at Fuji Ya, for example; plus it consisted of two small scallops placed awkwardly on the rice pad, while at Fuji Ya they use a diver scallop which is large enough that a slice of it covers the rice. Small detail, but noticeable. The saba (mackerel) nigiri was very delicious, and was the best thing we had actually.

Normally we'd order another round of sushi after the first two, but we both decided it would not be worth it, so we left instead. Service was friendly enough, but our main order took forEVER to arrive. I also noticed that two tables around us were unhappy with what they had; one got a cup of miso instead of the salad that she'd ordered, and it took at least 15 minutes for them to flag down the server to get it switched. Another table was clearly unhappy with the chef's choice combo they got, but I was far enough away that I could not tell what the problem was; I just saw that they sent it back.

Very sorry it wasn't a better experience; we really wanted to like the place, as it is close to our house and they seem like nice people. Maybe it was an off night.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

We were disappointed in what could be a great neighborhood gem. We finally got to try Bagu last night. We were disappointed in the service at first. It was very slow and unfriendly. It improved over time. As the restaurant became less busy, the server became less stressed and more friendly, so we weren't left a terrible impression by the end of the night. The sushi itself was decent... good, but not great. Every non-sushi item, however, was bland. The tempura items were especially bland, and greasy. We also tried shrimp wasabi dumplings, but in spite of the fact that shrimp and tempura are two very strong flavors, all we tasted was dough. I also woke this morning feeling like last night's dinner was still sitting in my stomach. I was suffering for a few hours. It didn't seem like food poisoning, it wasn't that severe, but it was certainly far from pleasant. I will not return to Bagu.

• Visited March 2011