“Convenient location and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #28 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Convenient location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I just completed a night's stay at this location. Previously I'd stayed downtown but this location was recommended by a coworker as being closer and easier to get to our office - and it was much more convenient for parking and driving as well as access off I-35.
-First off, there was an issue creating room keys when I checked in. Staff was apologetic and promised to promptly call and deliver my key when ready (both of which they completed as promised), and had security meet me at my door to let me in. I had zero issues with this - thing happen and staff handled well and professionally.
-Restaurant/bar area was small yet met my needs - food and drinks onsite. I ordered food at the bar to go to take back to room and had a beverage while waited. Staff very nice and prompt. Also had breakfast there - reasonable price and again fast service.
-Room was updated with some items appearing worn and ready to refinish or replace (wood table tops as in desk and nightstand, some slightly water-stained lampshades, etc) but on whole room was clean, beds were comfortable and bathroom had all that was needed and price point was great. I like my room cold at night and the AC didn't seem to shut off all night even on auto but it wasn't loud or annoying so happy with that even it my room never did hit 68 degrees - it was warm and humid outside so I get that too.
-Checkout at desk was easy and friendly.
The only thing holding me from a 5 is I reserve that for higher end places if they deliver. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and thank you as well for your kind comments. I am please that the team responded to your needs and that you enjoyed your stay. Let me know if you return and will share some interesting things do in the neighborhood.

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel is connected to Abbot Northwestern Hospital via the skyway. This made it very easy to go back and forth throughout the day to visit our loved one who was in the ICU. When we didn't feel like walking, we called for the free shuttle. We seldom waited for more than a few minutes. Another great amenity was that we stayed on the club house level because we would have a breakfast buffet and evening snacks. Breakfast was always fresh and enough choices, though no hot foods were offered during our stay. The evening snacks were typically not so good. We stayed for 4 nights and the food choices were almost the same each night. The crackers were stale and the hot food was often empty along with any sauces. All staff that we talked with were pleasant. However, I would like to recognize Tariq, at the front desk, for being exceptional! Our room was clean. The large desk and comfy office chair was appreciated. There were 4 lamps throughout the room, but only one very small light on the wall by the door. I would have preferred at least one more over head light. Also, related to the lighting. The bathroom door has French doors with glass on them (not see through glass). This is very pretty, but not very convenient for more than one person staying in the room. When getting up during the night to use the restroom the light from the bathroom shines out through the glass into the sleeping area and can be a disturbance to a light sleeper. Over-all we had a very nice stay at the Sheraton.

Room Tip: If you want to (or need to) save a little money, spend the little extra for the club level so that y...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Connie J,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Midtown and thank you as well for taking the time to review our services. We are fortunate to be so close to Abbott Northwestern and to be able to provide shuttle service. Thank you as well for the hints on our Club level services. I will be sure to address them with our team. I do hope you return soon!

Andrew Finsness,

Chicago, Il.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was the closest to our daughter's new apartment in Uptown. We had a car so I don't know what it is like to stay in that location without one. I did see at least three hotel shuttles and I think there is a bus that goes down Lake St. The hotel itself is staffed by friendly people, is attractive and clean and quiet. We were upgraded to the Club floor, which has a nice cold breakfast in the morning. It also has a happy hour but we were not there then. There are no nice views out the windows, if that is important to you. The room was very comfortable, with a big desk, easily reachable charging outlets, and good room darkening shades. The Global Market is next door. Try it for good, inexpensive ethnic food shops and a fun atmosphere. I am sure that we will stay there next time we are in town.

Dear follylover,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown and for your kind comments. We are lucky to have such a central location and to be next door to the Global Market. The food offerings are amazing. I do hope you return soon!

Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I've stayed here three times, and will likely stay here again - the location works out really good for me.

+ Decent Fitness Center - it's in the basement and was a pretty good experience.

+ Good breakfast/pub on the main level - very comfortable place for paid breakfast off the lobby and I've had good service there always

+ Other walk able area eating - the hotel is in the parking lot of an old Sears office building, and the ground floor of that building has been converted to an upscale food court of sorts

+ The room layout is good - a nice long desk across one end gives you plenty of horizontal surfaces to deposit your stuff

- Skip the club level. One of my stays was on the club level and the free breakfast setup on that level is pretty lame - a fancy coffee machine that takes a couple of minutes of churning to produce one cup, no waffles, a (very) small bowl of yogurt and pretty minimal fruit. I've had much better on club floors at other hotels.

- You will struggle to find the light switch in the bathroom. I don't know how many stays it takes to get used to where it is, but it's more than my three.

- The parking gate is wonky - it's supposed to work with your room key, but seemingly never does. Everybody seems to know it never works - I even had passing pedestrians yell at me when was trying to exit the parking lot - "hey, you have to tell them at the front desk you're leaving so they open it for you... it never works on it's own"

- The single comforter they provide on the bed is too heavy - you'll wake up sweating

- Parking lot is a bit small - on one of my stays the lot filled up. There's additional parking over the bridge next to the hotel, but it doesn't look near as safe or convenient as that in front of the hotel

- On one of my stays the room really had a bad smell - Room 323 - kinda like old socks or something (sorry for that mental picture). It seemed to be coming from the armoire , so maybe it was something related to the iron in there or wood stain or something, but it was very noticeable every time you'd enter the room.

- On one of my trips they checked me into a room that hadn't been cleaned (it was 4pm at the time). So had to go back to the lobby and kill 15 minutes....

SPG status doesn't seem to carry much sway at this hotel I'm (only) SPG Gold, so not too high in the chain, but have never received any acknowledgement or benefits associated with this - even the "separate check-in" isn't really separate or usable.

Free wireless thought the hotel seems to work well - no issues in the three different rooms I was in.

At 99 or 119, I'd recommend this hotel on it's own merits, but seems like I'm usually paying in the 159 to 209 range... because of the location, I pay it, but personally, I would try another hotel if the location wasn't a big factor

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the club floor - the lounge and breakfast there is very spartan
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your repeated stays at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown and for your detailed comments. We are fortunate so have such a large fitness facility. We will address your Club Level comments in our team meeting. Please say hello next time you are in town.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My aunt, sister and I stayed at this hotel in midtown Minneapolis for a family visit. The rooms were nicely appointed, if lacking somewhat in adequate lighting. What made the stay special was the hospitable manners and concern of the staff to assure our comfort. (Thank you, Christian). Any requests made to the front desk were answered almost immediately by housekeeping. The desk manager and the barkeep knew us by sight from the second day of our stay and we were treated like old friends.

The midtown greenway ran just outside the back windows of the hotel and there was a bike rental shop just yards away. I spent one morning cycling from the hotel along the greenway to the lakes and back. The hotel is midway between the Mississippi River and the Lake loop. It was a treat to wake up and be able to go for a walk or a run in the middle of the city on a green pathway.

The neighborhood around the hotel is not an appealing walk, and the availability of good restaurant choices was limited to the Global Marketplace in the old Sears Building across the street or the hotel bar. But the helpfulness of the front desk and the bar service made up for some of that. We would choose this hotel again--all the staff provided such willing and friendly service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown and your great comments about our team. They are truly our greatest asset and I will be sure to pass along your comments. You are right about all the biking opportunities. We are the only hotel in Minneapolis located directly on the Midtown Greenway so it is super easy to get around. Come back soon!

Hoffman Estates, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was in Minneapolis on a business trip. I have pretty high standards when it comes to hotels (I normally stay in deluxe resorts at Walt Disney World). This wasn't quite Disney , but the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown was great. The entire staff from front desk to the bar was terrific. My room was very clean and had a large desk. The restaurant was very good, and I ate there once with colleagues (they alsoliked it a lot) and twice on my own. If you forgo housekeeping, you earn a $5 voucher each day which I used at the restaurant. The pool was a wee bit small for my taste, but the workout room looked big with a lot of equipment options. Overall, I would highly - recommend the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the Sheraton Midtown and for your kind comments. You are right about the restaurant. It is ranked number one of all Sheraton hotels! We are also fortunate to have such an extensive fitness center. Thanks again I do hope you return again soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here two nights when our power went out for two days during a big storm in Minneapolis. The room was nice and the rate was reasonable. The restaurant was outstanding. Best of all was that the staff was super friendly and accommodating throughout our stay, especially Tariq, who seemed to be on duty 24/7 while we were there. When your life is temporarily turned upside down and you are feeling frazzled, it sure is nice to have such friendly folks at your service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for comments and thank you for staying with us during the power outage. It was a stressful time for all but you are correct, the team did a super job.

Andrew Finsness

Been to Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel? Share your experiences!