“Midtown location offers excellent value” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Midtown location offers excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I just recently completed a 2 night business stay at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown. Some other reviewers cautioned on the neighborhood not being the greatest but I found the negative comments to be overblown. While there is a bus transit station literally across the parking lot to the Sheraton, I didn't find it concerning in the least. This location is adjacent to the iconic Midtown Exchange building which added some visual interest to the stay. It's not necessarily a selling point but at least made the area stand out a bit.

This is not a large Sheraton with only 4 floors but the hotel itself was very nicely styled lobby and restaurant/bar area. The parking lot was a bit too small given the hotel occupancy and one evening I had make my own parking spot. My room was nicely appointed as well with a nice flat screen TV. The bathroom was very nice as well. I didn't use the free shuttle service but this location does offer it for anyone wanting not wanting to drive but wanting to head downtown.

Consider this location for the value and you won't be disappointed. The staff will treat you right.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown. We are fortunate to be adjacent to the Global Market as well as the Midtown Greenway. Our parking lot is small but we do have alternatives when needed. Thank you as well for your compliments on the appointments and condition of the hotel as well as our great staff. I will be sure to pass along you remarks.

Andrew Finsness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We found this hotel very quiet the three nights we were there. Just put a card on the door outside and they don't bother you at all. If there was a request a quick call to reception got swift action.
Nice people worked at reception, too. The location was fine for our meetings, but there isn't much to do around there. The next door international food and crafts exhibit was fun though.
We really enjoyed their efficient mini bus to transport us within five miles of the hotel when we scheduled it. The restaurant was pleasant and the food very delicious! The walleye was exceptional; try it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown. I will be sure to pass along your comments to all of the staff involved. The shuttle is truly a plus for our guests to be able to get around without having to park. I hope you return soon!

Warm Regards,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have to rate the overall experience of this hotel as excellent based mostly on the extremely friendly, caring, and helpful staff. We stayed for over three weeks because my wife was having surgery at the nearby Abbott Northwestern hospital.

Because of its proximity to the hospital and access by covered walkway it makes an ideal location for this kind of stay. When coupled with the very helpful and hospitable staff who went out of their way to provide extras such as lighter meals and personalized dishes in the restaurant when the appetite was low it made a home from home.

The 'on call' shuttle will drop you wherever you need and pick you up when you want. It worked like a personalized cab service.

The value was also excellent, with discounts for Abbott patients.

Room Tip: Book the Club floor for those snacks and a private lounge.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your great comments regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown. We are fortunate to be attached to Abbott Northwestern Hospital and the staff here is great as well. I will be sure to pass along your comments.

Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife, two kids and I stayed here on April 27th. I booked after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and I'm really happy that I did. Our check-in was a breeze, the front desk staff was friendly, our room was clean and everything worked as it should. Just like some other reviewers, though, we also had some issues with towels. There weren't enough in our room and getting more seemed to be a challenge. As luck would have it, however, I stumbled across a stockpile of them in the workout area so I brought a bunch back to our room.
Anyway, the beds are comfy and so are the pillows which seems to be a common theme among Sheraton properties.
My wife and I ventured into downtown Mpls to take in a little nightlife and I was pleasantly surprised by the $11 cab fare each way. I'd gladly pay that amount each time to avoid the hassle of finding a parking space.
All in all, I would stay here again without any hesitation. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind comments. I will certainly pass them along to our Front Office and Housekeeping staff. I am sorry you did not have enough towels in you room and I will address that immediately. I am glad that you got to go downtown as it is so close and easy to get around. I hope to see you again in the near future.

Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I use this hotel frequently, so let me first say about the neighborhood: It is not "rough" or "sketchy" or "so-so" as many other reviewers describe. It is perfectly fine. Anyone who describes it otherwise is making a judgment based on the fact that it is by a bus stop in the middle of a city. I would suggest such reviewers look inward to find what truly caused their judgment.

The fitness room here is ok. It has somewhat strange circular dumbbell weights, which are rather large and make some exercises uncomfortable. The weight machines are all fine. The cardio equipment appears quite old. It has televisions built-in, which is nice, although the equipment's age begins to show due to low picture quality. A common occurence is that the headphone jack is yanked out and has difficulty connecting to the audio. I don't know when this hotel opened, but I would say it is probably time to upgrade all of the cardio equipment, especially the bicycles. There is better equipment out there nowdays for guests.

The fitness center also isn't always the cleanest. Sometimes there is mud. I don't know if they've ever really cleaned the wood floor area, it shows a lot of wear and dirt.

The pool and hot tub area suffer the same, a somewhat dirty floor that could use a good cleaning it seems. The hot tub is usually clean but can get grimy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kevin,

Thank you so much for staying with us and your positive comments about our location. We are fortunate to be located directly on the Midtown Greenway for biking and running and to be connected to Abbott Northwestern hospital. Thank you for your comments regarding the fitness center as well. I will be sure to have a technician look at the picture quality on the TVs and be sure to inspect the housekeeping services. We hope to see you again soon!

Sheboygan, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Check in is at 3pm. We arrived at 1:45pm, as out-of-state guests for a wedding and they let us check in early as I had called ahead. Because we were with a wedding party, we had rates that were less than 50% off rack room rates. We had a 2 double bed room and while I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the room, I was surprised at the small size of the room with no microwave, no closet and a giant table/desk that took up a huge portion of the room. Plus, we had to pay $11 extra for parking in the lot.

The beds were very comfortable, but we could hear just about everything going on in the hallway-even the elevator ding, and we were several rooms down from its hallway. The pool is on the smaller size. It never had towels so we stole them out of the exercise room. The exercise room was quite large and had a lot of different machines. It seemed much better than most as it even had several large windows.
We called at 8:30pm our first night for extra towels and never received them. It was a little disappointing, but we made do.
The hotel is right next door to a fun international market/food. As there is no continental breakfast, we went there for breakfast and a lunch.
Check out is at noon, but at 9:15am, we got a knock on the door from housekeeping. Thankfully we were just getting out of bed as it had been a late night at the wedding and let her know to come back later.
Overall, I probably wouldn't choose this hotel again, especially if paying closer to full price, but it was clean and close to our event locations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent trip to the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown. I am happy that you received an early check-in and that you were impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. I do aplogize for the problems with towel service and we will review that immediately. Please let me know if I can ever be of service in the future.

Winnipeg,Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown, one of the hotels recommended by the organizers of the conference I was attending. Upon arrival, At first I wondered what I'd gotten myself into, because the area seemed a little dodgy, and the city bus dept was right across the street. I expected one of those seen-better-days hotels, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I talked in. The interior was nicely & elegantly decorated, with an open, welcoming lobby and a view straight through into their bright restaurant/bar area.

As a member of the Starwood loyalty program I was given a room on the "Starwood Preferred Guest" floor, so I don't know if the rooms on the regular guest floor were very different. The room was spacious, bright and clean, with a king-sized bed featuring their "Sweet Sleeper" mattress - very comfortable There was a large desk/work area, flatscreen TV and free wifi or network access. (There's also a public computer in the lobby if you need it). The bathroom was a very good size and redecorated in a retro '30s style which I found very appealing. There was minimal hallway noise and at night it was very quiet. I also appreciated the in-room climate controls.

I ate in the hotel restaurant a few times. The first night's dinner was terrible, with burnt steak. It's the first time in years that I've sent food back to the kitchen, but for the price they were charging I felt that it was necessary. However, they did the right thing by preparing a new steak and also discounting my bill. Breakfasts were good and very accommodating of my need for gluten-free options. They allowed me to bring my own GF bagels and very happily toasted them for me. My last dinner there was very good, and further enhanced by a "green" incentive program. For every night that you decline housekeeping you're given a $5.00 coupon for the restaurant. Of course one can see potential for stinky disaster here, but I suspect there would be a limit for longer stays.

I didn't make use of the pool or exercise room while I was there but I know that my colleagues did and seemed to be quite satisfied.

The service I appreciated the most, however, was their free shuttle service. The hotel has shuttle drivers on continuous standby for guests. They'll drive you anywhere within a 5 mile radius, and then pick you up again. That means you can get to downtown and also over to the St. Paul side, where I made my pilgrimage to Whole Foods and Garrison Keillor's bookshop. All the drivers are friendly, helpful and informative. One day I was ill and needed to return from the conference early. I happened to call during the drivers' break period, but the new hotel manager, Brian graciously picked me up himself.

I found all the staff I dealt with to be friendly, helpful, courteous and respectful, which is a refreshing experience these days. I suspect that because this hotel does a lot of hospital business (they're attached by skywalk to a couple of local facilities) they've developed a particular sensitivity to their clientele.

While the hotel itself is in an area that I might not want to walk around in after dark, it is right next door to the Midtown Global Market, which is a colourful indoor bazaar with food, merchandise and groceries from around the world. There are also several restaurants there which provide a cheaper alternative to the hotel restaurant. It's a busy place, catering to visitors like me and locals, who are happy to share advice on good restaurants. Be sure to try the wonderful "Holy Land" deli and lunch counter in the Market.

I was very happy with my stay at the Sheraton Midtown, and I plan to stay there again when I'm in the Cities.

Room Tip: The views aren't great anywhere, given the hotel's location but my room faced north where th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear PrairieRover,

Thank you so much for your detailed account of your stay at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown. We get many compliments, such as yours, on the shuttle service, the fitness center and our proximity to the Midtown Global Market. We are also rated in the very top tier for our restaurant. I do apologize for your first nights dinner, but I am happy that we were able to rectify it. Thank you again for your commetns and I do hope to see you again soon.

Andrew Finsness

Been to Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel? Share your experiences!