“There are better SPG properties in Minneapolis” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #28 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Seattle, Washington
“There are better SPG properties in Minneapolis”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I didn’t plan on staying here but got stranded when my flight was delayed in Minneapolis and missed the connection. Everything was sold out by the airport so I ventured a little further to get my SPG points. The room was fine, however the bathroom layout was really strange and small. I arrived at 11pm which made it impossible to get food/drink. They have a small store by the front desk but were sold out of bottled water. I grabbed breakfast in the club lounge the next morning and it was great. If you are planning on visiting Minneapolis, I think the SPG properties downtown are much nicer with better amenities.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Novi, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I agree with most other reviewers. I was a little nervous when I first saw the hotel because of the run down neighborhood, but it is quite nice inside. The staff is friendly (Jeni Taylor checked us in and was friendly, humorous and helpful). The room was nice, clean, spacious and there were oodles of pillows on the bed. I didn't use the pool or health club, but friends who did said they were nice.

The hotel is near several hospitals, so you do hear a few ambulances at night, especially since the building is only four stories tall (and the fourth story is club room floor). However, it was fairly quiet - much more quiet than I expected.

It is next to a bus and light rail stop, which means there are people hanging out near the parking lot, but it also provides an easy way to get to the airport and around town. Friends who used this said it was great. Also, as another reviewer said, there is easy access to a bike trail that goes all over town and there are rental bikes at various kiosk locations, so you can rent one at one place and leave it at another.

The hotel is next to the Midtown Exchange a very interesting building full of small stalls selling imported food and gifts - Mexican, Middle Eastern etc. It is like a cross between Pier 1, a mall food court and a Turkish Bazaar. We had a good ice cream cone there and others in our group had breakfast one day. There really is no where else to eat within walking distance of the hotel, except for the Sheraton's own restaurant.

My only complaint was parking. The lot in front of the hotel was overcrowded the first night, so people had parked illegally and not left enough room to get my car out of the space. That was a pain since I had a meeting I needed to get to on time. The issue resolved only because a car next to me happened to leave at the same time. There was no room in the lot the second night and I ended up in a parking lot on the other side of the street. Given the neighborhood and the distance to the lot, I was worried about leaving my car there (and I overheard other guests on the elevator complain of the same thing). However, my car was safe. A guard opened the gate for me, so perhaps someone watched the cars there all night. There also is a full time security guard in the front lot.

All in all, I would stay there again, especially because the price was very good compared to other hotels. I would leave a little time to bike and to explore the Midtown Exchange.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Webster, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

It's our wedding anniversary tradition to spend a night or two in a B&B and bicycle but we opted for the Sheraton Midtown this year so we could bicycle all over Minneapolis and beyond. The hotel is ideally situated for bicycling as it is right next to the Midtown Greenway, a bicycle/walking path that connects to miles and miles of bike trails around the Cities. It's also right across the Greenway from Freewheel Cycles, a great bike and coffee shop and across the parking lot from the Global Market, a great place to find ethnic foods and fun shops.

We booked a King room on the Club Floor - we thought it was worth the extra cost for the evening appetizers and breakfast and fabulous coffee/latte machine. Our room was nicely decorated, clean and quiet. The bed was super comfortable. We had drinks and dessert in the hotel bar/restaurant and were pleased with the food/drinks and service. There's also a great patio overlooking the Greenway but we didn't get to use it because it was pretty cold during our stay. The front desk staff members were professional and friendly and offered us a place to store our bicycles so we didn't have to drag them up to our rooms or leave them in our van.

The only drawbacks are minor. We had to pay for parking in the Sheraton's lot. Not a huge deal as we knew about the parking fee ahead of time and felt our car was well protected in the lot. Also our digital TV still had the channels set to to view the shows in analog so the picture quality was not up to par. Oh well. We didn't watch TV much anyway.

All in all I thought our experience was wonderful and the hotel above average. We're looking forward to staying at the Sheraton Midtown again.

A note on my ratings: I gave a Very Good rating for Value because I think the standard rate is rather high. Keep checking for better rates and package deals - the price may go down. My Very Good for Location is due to the urban location which may be a turnoff for some. Yet the location on the Greenway is Excellent! Also I only rated the Spa as Very Good because I did not have a chance to use it so can't really rate it. It looked clean and nice, though.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Greenway side overlook the bike/walking path and not the city streets.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

New Year's Eve in minneaplis, Minnesota was the settign for a wicked ice/snow storm. this led me to use a car service, rather than drive to my destitution. When I did leave the parking lot earlier in the evening, I returned only to discover that there was no parking (even though the hotel said that there would be) adjacent to the hotel. The available parking was in a lot across a bridge; while this was not very far in distance, in the icy, freezing conditions that evening, it was unsafe, and extremely cold to traverse. Even the next morning, I had problems retrieving my car, and fell in the icy lot. My door locks were frozen shut, which I believe was due in part to the exposure of the lots. I lost an earring in the hotel room, a black diamond hoop, and reported it but never heard back from the h0otel regarding its loss.The room was of average quality, the bathroom clean, and the staff was pleasant. Overall, an unimpressive stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Re: Jeni Taylor
Supervising Manager
Sheraton Minneapolis
I have just returned from a 3 day stay at this hotel and was significantly impressed with the service we received from Jeni Taylor. Jeni was friendly, knowledgeable and above all very helpful -our stay was better because of the level of care she provided. I felt impressed enough to write and inform you.
Thanks for your great staff.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Overall I would rate this an excellent experience. This hotel is next door or within walking distance to Children's & Abbott Northwestern Hospitals. They have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 5-mile radius; however, they do not provide airport shuttle service. Because I was working night shift (7p - 7a) during my four night stay, I primarily ate in the restaurant onsite. I requested and received early (8am) room cleaning allowing me to sleep during the day. The room was quiet and quite comfortable, complete with blackout curtains. The negative for the room was no refrigerator and I found the internet service (free) quiet slow. That said, the positives definitely outweighed the negatives. The food and full bar in the restaurant was good and reasonably priced. All the staff were pleasant and courteous. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Arrived late at night. Had a speedy check in, was upgraded to a wonderful suite with a fireplace and a handwritten note from the manager with a bottle of wine. Nicely appointed "new Sheraton" rooms. Room service experience was satisfactory. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel? Share your experiences!