“Hidden Treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
al Vento is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 1,585 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 50th Street
Transit: 50th & Hiawatha LRT
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I visited this place a long time ago and just finally decided to go back. I don't know why we waited so long! The food is awesome! My only issue is that I wish it was closer to where I live so I could visit more often. If you are looking for good Italian food, give this a try.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

88% Recommend
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“the height of mediocrity”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

it's shocking to me that this is #10 out of minneapolis restaurants. this place wouldn't even be passable in a bigger city and it shouldn't be in minneapolis either, where there are several excellent restaurants offering much higher quality food at the same prices. this is not "authentic southern italian" food. heck, it's not even italian-american. it's just mediocre food churned out to people who don't expect better. avoid this place and go to bar la grassa, 112 eatery, broder's or elsewhere.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A Gem in South Minneapolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We visited al Vento on Monday and had a wonderful experience. My wife and I ordered the duck leg pappardelle and the kids both ordered the ravioli. While we waited we ordered a octopus appetizer and the sample bruschetta. The bruschetta was a big hit. Only negative to the evening - the kids thought their six ravioli squares was a bit small for a portion and they wanted to go to McDonald's after we left. The portion didn't look like much of a meal. Taste was spot on, though. The restaurant has a wonderful vibe and would be a fantastic dating destination. Jessica did a fantastic job taking care of us.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kenyon, Minnesota
“Disappointed when we go anywhere else”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I am lucky enough to live in the neighborhood, so my boyfriend and I are able to go to al vento a lot. We are always very pleased with everything about this restaurant, from the pleasant atmosphere to the food-the bruschetta sampler is a must! When we do venture out of the neighborhood, we are usually about halfway into our dinner and we look at each other say, "(sigh) we should have just went to al Vento." The Wednesday sandwich night has been a recently discovered surprise and the tiramisu is always delicious.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Good neighborhood Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Excellent tasting food, nicely presented. We have now been here a number of times. This is one of our favorite dining spots.

A small, Southern Italian bistro with simple, but nice décor. Frequently changing menu with items such as scallops, pasta, mussels, shrimp, pork tenderloin, swordfish, and chicken.

We’ve tried many meals here and liked all of them. Items that stand out were the lamb chops, scallops and chicken parmesan.

We generally try to make reservations, but one time did not have reservations so we sat at the bar. There was plenty of room to eat at the granite/marble topped bar. However, the service was not as good as what we perceived at the dining tables. Table service has generally been attentive.

The dining room is divided into two parts. I would choose the front dining – the back was a bit stuffy. Of course, in the warmer months, their patio is the place to be. Sometimes if a bus goes by, you get a brief whiff of that nasty exhaust, but take another sip of wine and enjoy what matters.

They offer a number of good desserts and the Tiramisu is huge!

The wine list is small, but reasonably priced.
½ priced bottles of wine on Sundays and Mondays and every night from 4:30pm-6:00pm.

• Visited June 2012