“Unique breakfast spot” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Bismarck
“Unique breakfast spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We saw this place on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and wanted to try the apple/brie pancakes. They were awesome. We also had an omelette with the hashbrowns inside. They've got lots of unique menu items and it was tough to choose. They put a lot of work into everything the make; you can tell by the taste. Not much room, but it added to the charm.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Arlington, Texas
“Recommended by friends in the neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I asked a friend for a good place to meet for breakfast near her St. Anthony neighborhood on Como in Saint Paul. She recommended "Colossal" at 2315 Como. Looks like this place has a Minneapolis location too, as I couldn't find it in StPaul in TripAdvisor.

It's a small, casual (order at register), neighborhood-friendly place. Late in the morning, the place was just over half full with customers, so the service seemed prompt. We all had different breakfast sandwiches that were nicely prepared, reasonably priced, and delicious, although "bigger eaters" would probably prefer larger options that were on the menu. All three of the available coffees were fresh and hot. I'd probably eat there three or more times per week if I had a clean, comfortable place such as this in my Texas neighborhood.

• Visited October 2012
central Canada
“Try the St. Paul location as well - One of Como Avenue's Gems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This lovely, unpretentious little place is big where it counts. The menu is inventive, offering something for everyone (from fabulous burgers - my companion's choice) to vegetarian items and seasonal specials (I had an arugula salad with roasted butternut squash, wild rice, and chevre! wowza!). I hadn't seen the DDD review - but had heard that the host of the show raved about the Colossal's pancakes. The Como Avenue location was ideally located for me as it's close to the St. Paul campus of the U of M, where I had gone to visit the incredible Raptor Center in the morning. To be honest, I'd forgotten about the Colossal and made my way to Como Avenue to find the Finnish Bistro and Bakery...which is a short block down the street but happend to be full to bursting with customers when I drove by . Luckily, the Colossal sign caught my eye and the meal we had there was great. Afterwards we strolled down the block, and enjoyed a browse around a charming little shop called Bibleot (I believe it's a chain but it had a distinctly neighbourhood feel and offered more than the usual trinkets). I bought some unusual and beautiful pastries at the Finnish Bistro, to take to a friend - and I will have to try for lunch there the next time I am in the Twin Cities.

• Visited September 2012
DES MOINES
“Wonderful Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was there this last march and went after seeing it on DD&Dives. I had the pancakes with brie and walnuts. It was such a great place, and one of the things that made is memorable was the owners beautiful mother working there that morning. She was simply one of the nicest, most kind, lovely people I have ever met. Being a single traveler she made me feel extremely welcome when I felt kind of awkward being alone. I will always remember the place, the food, and the kindness there and definately will be back next tme I'm in Minneapolis. Keep doing the wonderful job!

Mike from Iowa

• Visited March 2012
Chicago vicinity
“Small, very small, neighborhood joint.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We went for breakfast and managed to grab one of the last open tables. Despite the name, the Colossal seats, perhaps, 15 people indoors and a ike number outdoors.

My wife ordered a full stack of the apple-walnut-brie flappers (instead of a short stack) and I tried a breakfast sandwich on a freshly made biscuit (along with half of my wife's flappers). {Flappers are reportedly a Minnesota thing- yeasty pancakes.}Both dishes were execellent though the trick with the flappers is to let the brie melt thoroughly.

We'll be back to try the lunch menu.

Visited September 2012