“Great front patio.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Minneapolis MN
“Great front patio.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed for a friends wedding - the hotel itself is in a great location 15 minutes to downtown minneapolis, 10 to the shops at west end, ridgedale mall, etc.

The most disappointing part of this trip was that despite informing reservations that there was about 12 rooms booked with the wedding party they split us all up in different locations throughout the hotel. They were busy however and did put us in a nice XL corner room.

The front patio was a great place to hangout at night after the wedding and socialize with other guests. There is a nice pond with a few tables and chairs creating a very nice environment to relax.

The beds here were above average with little outside noise - the only exception was the housekeeping closet that was right outside the door in the morning when housekeeping decided to have a 25 minute conversation outside the door at 8:30.

During our visit an overzealous security officer did come to chase down a woman we were talking with outside ( and I do mean chase - we thought she had done something wrong) in order to demand that she put shoes on so she didn't get hurt. My feeling is we were adults and if we didnt want to wear shoes as paying guests we shouldn't be bothered to put them on. We were not bothered about it after the initial confrontation.

Overall great property. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms not near housekeeping closet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dan G, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott West, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear David M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay but happy you were still able to enjoy yourself at the hotel. I understand your frustration about your group being scattered throughout the hotel as we do try our best to get groups close together, unfortunately depending on room types it can be difficult at times. We will address the conversation that took place outside of your room and remind our staff to be aware of the place and volume of their conversations. I hope that the few issues you experienced doesn't give you a negative impression of our hotel or Marriott. I appreciate the feedback and hope you choose to return in the future.

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This Marriott is my favorite. They do so much to make you stay delightful! Every time I needed something, it came to my door within minutes. They have the best restaurant, Kips - a Pub who has the very best food and beer. I threw my dads' 92 Birthday party there and everyone, no matter what their diet needed was delighted! The staff is there to please.....
I have stayed there winter and summer and I get rejuvenated every time I stay there. I'll be back!
Marnie Ring

Room Tip: Just be nice.
Green Features: They have orange and lemon water out for us always.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dan G, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott West, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi Marnie,

Thank you for the review. It was so nice having you stay with us and I'm glad everything went as well as we'd hoped. We can't wait until you return in the winter. See you soon!

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family spent 3 days at the Marriott West in town for a wedding and Connor was amazing. He made our trip to unchartered waters wonderful. We have stayed in a 4 Seasons and Peninsula hotel and they were helpful but Connor was a breath of fresh air. He managed to do his job and put that extra special touch in it the human factor. He made suggestios that were right on and made getting around a simple task. We are Marriott time share owners in Phoenix, they are helpful but very indifferent Connor treated us like he knew us. You are very lucky to have a representive of Marriott like him. He is one of a kind! Earl and Judy Basner and the O'Maras

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Judith B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review recongizing one of our great associates. Connor is very friendly and sccomodating and I'm happy you were able to experieince his outstanding service.

Thank you for choosing us!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel along with aLOT of other family members this past weekend for a wedding that was in nearby Minnetonka. The hotel itself was very clean and nice, not over-the-top luxurious, but it was perfect for what we needed it for. I've stayed at a lot of Courtyard by Marriott's, never just a Marriott and I was very happy with our stay. The front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating. At one point I had asked the front desk for more coffee for our room, (as always, we are coffee freaks...one pack of decaf and one pack of regular coffee in a room just doesn't cut it..) and they sent some up right away, along with some fresh towels. The cleaning ladies in the hall we're also very courteous and helpful. We also had to pass a few things along to some relatives, and we were able to leave the items with the girls at the front desk and they were more than helpful. We ate at Kips Pub on Saturday before the wedding for a light lunch. Although it was nothing spectacular, it was nice to have a bar and restaurant right in the hotel. The hotel was also VERY accommodating to the bride and groom, who had many guests staying at the hotel, and also had a shuttle coming to bring them to the reception and wedding itself. They had signs at the front desk stating what time the shuttles would be leaving and coming back, which I thought was very nice of them, considering it wasn't the hotel who owned the shuttle. Our family is also known for staying up quite late.... While not necessarily partying, I'm sure we made a bit of noise, and it was nice for the majority of us to all be on one floor. Bathroom is a little narrow but nice with a long vanity counter. Also, While it sounds kind of silly, one of the main things that makes or breaks my stay at a hotel, is 1) a coffee maker and coffee, and 2), a refrigerator in the room. I was very pleased to have both in our room. I was sorry to see that I didn't notice there was a Caribou coffee stand in the lobby! I love that. My in-laws also had a suite on our floor, it was awesome with all the curved windows and how spacious it was and had a really nice spacious patio. I was impressed. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone especially anybody that is coming to town for a wedding in the area. They were great to deal with and the Ridgedale mall is only about five minutes away for any of the last minute things you need to get as well as a target nearby also. Its in a convenient location without it being too congested and you definately can't beat the price for the location.

Room Tip: My mother in law said the suite she had was only $15 more than a regular room.... GET A SUITE! They...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear dreay,

Thank you for the very nice review. It sounds like you had a very nice weekend at the hotel while you were here to attend a wedding. I'm glad that we could help you enjoy your vacation.

Thank you and your family for staying with us!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

When I checked in I was rather ill and had lost my voice. The gentleman at the desk was very sweet and patient with my struggle to communicate. Later that night a tray of fruit was sent up with a note wishing me a speedy recovery. The room is comfy, clean and well appointed and the staff certainly went above and beyond. Connor has my vote for best employee ever.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear 113Rose,

It's great to hear Connor took good care of you during your stay with us. He is an exceptional associate and we enjoy having him on our team very much. Thank you for recgonizing Connor for his great service.
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel fits the typical Marriott standards, so you'll get what you're accustomed to when staying at this chain.

The hotel itself is well-designed and comfortable. I had a standard room, and it was nicely decorated and appointed. It had comfortable beds, lovely pillows and a cushy comforter. The flat screen TV was large and had numerous channels. The room also had a large work desk and a mini-fridge. The bathroom had lots of fluffy towels and the typical citrus scented Bath and Body Works toiletries, along with a mini hair dryer. One nice touch was that this hotel has chosen to offer the WiFi for free. BRAVO, I'm tired of having to pay for WiFi when cheaper hotels offer it complimentary.

I used room-service a couple times - the food offerings, while slim, were satisfactory and the prices were not over-inflated. The food service was always on time and the staff was friendly.

The hotel staff was pleasant and efficient. I even had an issue with my final bill (realized once I got home) and after speaking with 2 or 3 front desk and back office staff, it was resolved easily. Gotta love midwest friendliness :)

I flew into the MSP airport, so it was a bit of a hike to get to this hotel via cab (about 45 minutes and $75 one way), so it's definitely not 'convenient' to the airport. I was attending a conference, so I didn't have a choice in the location, though. There weren't many things around the hotel, either, in terms of entertainment or restaurants. It might have been nice to leave the hotel once or twice for food - but eating in with the onsite restaurant was fine.

I haven't stayed at a Marriott in a while, by choice, because they pulled out of the American Airlines AAdvantage loyalty program a couple years ago (not sure why, I assume some sort of contractual issue). Now that they are program members again, I will consider staying at Marriott more now.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel. The value for money was decent, and if you need to be in the west Minneapolis area, then this may be convenient for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear BethanieKay,

Thank you for the very nice review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your expectations were met. Now that American Airlines is back in the program we hope to see you at Marriott's more often in the future.

Thank you for staying with us!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have received excellent service from this hotel for business travel, but just recently stayed there for the first time for a personal trip. The same great service was there on this personal visit with my family. Hotel staff are courteous as they had always been, and the hotel is clean and updated. While there I also saw an outdoor balcony area set up for a wedding event (maybe the rehearsal dinner). The balcony areay adjoins to several guest rooms. Very cool setup that I have never seen before.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dan G, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott West, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hi Chris S,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are very happy you and your family had a great time while staying with us. Next time you are in town with your family let me know and I will check availability of our balcony rooms. Thank you again for the review and hope to see you again soon.

Thanks

Been to Minneapolis Marriott West? Share your experiences!