“Very accomodating” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
CHICAGO
“Very accomodating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hotel staff was spectacular, room was large, clean and well maintained. Located right off the highway, so getting downtown via car is simple. The coffee barista was very friendly. The restaurant leaves something to be desired though, the hostess was rude. the fair was ok, but definitely not Irish. guess it's just the schtick for "Kips"

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Michael C, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott West, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
I'm sorry that your experience in the restaurant was not better and I have followed up. Thank you for your nice comments, particularly on Judith in Caribou Coffee. She really is a gem.

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I ended up staying here unexpectedly as a result of Booking.com error with another booking. I arrived very late but was impressed by the welcome at the reception and the overall quality of the hotel .The rooms are large, clean and comfortable with free wifi. Breakfast was served in an 'Irish Bar' which goes by the name of 'Kips' and it was plentiful and good value. The hotel is off a freeway but there is a small shopping mall close by and a small park immediately adjacent to it.The only slight issue for me was its distance to downtown Minneapolis (where I was meant to be staying) but that would probably not be a problem for anyone traveling by car. All in all a very good hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for your great comments! We do serve a glass of wine upon check-in Mon-Thurs nights. And, in the spirit of progress, we currently do not charge for standard Wi-Fi in our guestrooms. Ours guest do have to accept the charges when they first login, but the charges are automatically adjusted off before check-out. Michael
MadisonVacationer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the Minneapolis Marriott West one night in September and was wowed by the service and overall value to the hotel. Upon check-in I was greeted by a friendly front desk worker who offered me a glass of wine! That is just what I needed after driving a couple hours to the Twin Cities! The room was very nice and well-equipped with all the usual amenities. The wi-fi worked very well too. The bed was very comfortable and had plenty of pillows. I liked it so much I just booked a room for this coming weekend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you! We are very proud of the staff at the front desk and your acknowledgement goes a long way. Michael
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Well... I stayed for one night a couple weeks ago with a friend for a night away from our kids. The bathroom wasn't super clean-- a hair on the toilet seat, soap scum on the sink faucet for example. I have never seen that at a Marriott in my many hotel stays. But the kicker was apparently they have thin walls and cowardly staff. My friend and I were up late talking and laughing. No music, no TV, no party... just two people talking. Well, security banged on our door and told us to keep it down or we'd have to be moved. Really? No phone call from the front desk as a courtesy? I was shocked to see a rent-a-cop outside our door. Two middle aged working moms causing a disturbance at the Marriott. What a joke. As a Marriott Elite member, I was pretty disappointed with how the situation was handled.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Michael C, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott West, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I was very surprised to hear of these issues during your stay and sincerely apologize. I can’t imagine what happened but promise to look into them. Thank you for taking the time to let us know.
Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our recent three-night stay for a wedding was marred by one persistent glaring irritant. We were there for a wedding and spent a lot of time socializing in the bar/restaurant with relatives and friends. From breakfast to close, the restaurant continuously serves right-wing political propaganda on half its televisions--the other half are on sports. While Fox News has higher ratings than any nonpartisan news channel, that's only because of the loyalty of its highly opinionated viewers. For the rest of America, Fox is a joke or worse. No one in our group liked it and it really irritated a few. When we asked the staff to change the channel or turn it off, we were give a remote control that did not work on the sets hovering above our group.

Why establishments that seem to want to be places for pleasant, noncontroversial sociable gatherings display continuous, controversial, partisan propaganda is beyond me. Set the tvs on any of the nonpartisan channels and change to the controversy-promoting stuff only when asked, instead of vice-versa.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Michael C, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott West, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
You are absolutely correct in your feedback, we should be displaying neutral programming. THANK YOU so much for bringing this to my attention, it has been corrected.
Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was in town for a funeral. After leaving original Red Roof Inn because of major cleanliness issues arrived late evening after 5 hour drive, extremely tired, physically impaired. The staff immediately extended compassionate, courteous service with a quick check-in plus loaded my luggage cart & pushed to elevator for me!!! Hospitable, Courteous, Efficient, Comfortable & Clean! Sunday AM meditation on bench by the bubbling, soothing fountain directly in front of hotel was the perfect ending to what could've been an extremely stressful weekend. No free breakfast but Trader Joes, Caribou Coffee just down the road for staples.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael C, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott West, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments and I'm happy that we could be a refuge for you!
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Called a day ahead to confirm reservation and choose room type. Staff on the phone told me I'd have a choice of a king with pull-out couch or two queens when we arrived. Confirmation complete and told her I'd see her the next evening. Arrived with my husband and three kids (one being a baby) at around 4:00 on Saturday with plans to stay until Monday. I was surprised to be told, "We are all out of queen rooms and king rooms with a pull-out couch." I wasn't sure what I'd do since we have three children. She just shrugged her shoulders and said, "I'm sorry." She did add anything further, so I just stood there confused. I then reminded her I had called the day before to confirm my reservation and was assured there would be availability to accomodate our family. She again just stood there and looked at me. She was friendly enough, but certainly not helpful UNTIL I started to push the issue. I told her I was a Marriott rewards member and that I've stayed there in the past, so that was why I was surprised this was happening. She then leaned over to her cowoker and excused herself to talk to the manager. She came back and offered us two rooms at the Hampton nearby. This is a hotel I knew NOTHING about and how was our family going to split up into TWO rooms? That would be odd accommodations, especially for a trip that was meant to be "family time." I then again proceeded to ask, "Isn't there ANYTHING else you can do?" I said, "I'll just squeeze our family into the king room with a cot." She then said, "I'm sorry, but my manager told me you can't have one of those rooms because there would be too many people in the room." Oh my. I wanted to just walk out at this point (it had been 10 minutes or so and was almost getting embarrasing). I just stood there in disbelief and told her I didn't know what to do. She then excused herself again and came back saying they could upgrade us to a suite. Really? I was just surprised that this error took that much of my time and my effort to fix. In the end, the suite was perfect, clean and had a beautiful view. However, I would be leary about reserving here again for fear of it being overbooked. When I passed the desk later that evening, I heard another lady being offered a room at the Hampton. Wow. This lady did not look happy either. I just found this odd. Hotel is clean, but nothing fancy. We did eat at Kip's restaurant and it was very good, but quite slow. (I would not recommend going there if you have a hungry family. I think it took over 30 minutes to get our food.) Pool was clean; nothing fancy. Hot tub was nice, but could have been a bit warmer. Hotel staff were friendly and welcoming when we'd exit and enter the hotel. Maid did forget to leave a second roll of toiilet paper the first time she cleaned our room, so we had to call on our checkout morning to get more (we were totally out). It took three calls to finally get someone to bring us some. Not a big deal, but a bit frustrating when you have little ones along. The hotel is located in a quiet area. The frontage road basically takes you right to the shopping mall, which is nice. All in all, I would probably stay again. However, next time I would confirm my reservations specifically and perhaps call again the day off to ensure my room is being held. A bit disappointed that I had to push the issue so much beings I am a Marriott Rewards member and long-time customer. (I've been upgraded before for "no reason" beings I was a member, but have never had to actually argue to actually get a room after a confirmed reservation????)

Room Tip: Confirm reservations the day of to ensure accuracy and holding. Suites are all windows and are beaut...