“Best Spanish/Mediterranean food so far...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Solera - CLOSED

Solera
900 Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Downtown)
(612) 338-0062
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Tapas
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: On Bus Route.
minneapolis,
“Best Spanish/Mediterranean food so far...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We came here because we are craving for paella. Since it takes a little longer to cook it (we gather from our server), we ordered some tapas - they are actually good - torta, stewed lamb with couscous and the roasted beets. The lamb was our favorite. It was really good. Too bad it was just a tapas version. Wish they had it served too in big portions. We also did not know they serve bread. The bread was really good and the waiter was generous enough to give us quite a bit more while we were waiting for the main dish. The only real entree was the paella. It was good, a little bit oily and overcooked but it was the best paella we had in the Twin Cities...so far.
Their chocolate mousse cake was good too and the churros with the hot cocoa. The only downside was since most of their menu are tapas, it comes a little bit pricey for small portions of food. You end up racking up a huge bill if you want more....

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis
“Maybe we need to try again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We met the owners one time, and thought to try it out. The food is good, and service is OK. The location needs to be cleaned up. Minneapolis has an overall problem with panhandlers in this area. This has gotten better than it was a few years ago.

Visited July 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Beware if your hungry!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

It's a beautiful place with excellent service, but I could not find one thing on the menu that tasted good. I am not a picky eater. I have never wrote a review before. We were a table of twelve and tried many dishes. If cold beets with goat cheese sounds yummy to you, it's your place. Maybe some cold butter beans with a tooth pick. I heat them at home. The portions were so small it was laughable. No kidding, it kept us laughing. The pork dish was no bigger than a fifty cent piece on a huge plate. The desert was served with one level tablespoon of ice cream, no kidding. We did order the paella to finish our meal, because I thought my daughter might starve. I figured rice was good. It was very interesting looking, with the prawns staring at us. Taste was nothing special, a little burnt at the bottom. Took to long to clean and peel the prawns that I really didn't need to eat much after flicking the eye balls off my plate. Bill totalled $158 for myself, my 21 year daughter and my 12 year old ( who did not eat).

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
“Best Tapas Outside of Spain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

When this restaurant opened Food and Wine magazine ranked it as one of the top ten new restaurants in the World. I thought, "oh come on". I still don't know if it is top ten but it is one of the best places I've been to. The menu is creative and diverse. I haven't had anything bad and the service is outstanding. A fantastic place all around.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis
“Solera is my favorite Rooftop spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Rooftop bar is amazing. Tapas are amazing! White Sangria is the most amazing! I keep coming back and love it!

• Visited July 2012