“OK is about it...” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #501 of 1,622 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: For more than 68 years, Market Bar-B-Que has been serving real pit smoked ribs. Back in the days of vaudeville, Market Bar-B-Que was famous for being the late night spot with great barbecue food. In no time at all, it became the Sardis of Minneapolis, an after hours haven for hungry show folks, sports personalities, and just about anybody who was anybody. That was all back in the days when the Farmers' Market, our namesake, was located across the street. Vaudeville is gone, of course, and things have changed a lot over the years. But we still smoke our ribs just like we used to. And we still get all of the important people stopping in to enjoy our food. Even you! We are located at 1414 Nicollet Avenue. That is just 2 blocks south of the Nicollet Mall and 1 block west of the Minneapolis Convention Center. We have free parking behind the restaurant. We accept reservation by calling the restaurant directly.
Lyons, Illinois
“OK is about it...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Pretty good, but not what I remember from years past...and kinda pricey for barbeque. I had rib tips which was the best bargain on the menu. The slaw is good I will say that...

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Winnipeg, Canada
“THE WORST”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The worst restaurant I have ever been to- for so many reasons. To start off with our server was unfortunate enough to be born without a personality. Nor the ability to communicate. Didn't ask us if we wanted drinks, looked at my like I was crazy when I asked for a lemon for my water, and took 15 minutes to come back and see if we were ready to order. Being a first timer at this restaurant i trusted the signs that said "best ribs".....ordered the ribs and the waitress barely had enough time to say thank you before she walked away let alone warn me that the ribs I had just ordered would be the size of my forearm....each rib was the size of my forearm!!!! I get it, some people may have been able to eat that...but I am 5'5" and not even 115lbs woman, there is no way in h*ll I would be able to eat them. The server didn't even ask if I was sure nor let me know how large they were. When i brought my dissatisfaction to her attention, she says "well, there wasn't a smaller order". Yes. I realize that. However you should have communicated their size to me. "Sorry" and walks away. After barely eating 1 of my 4 ribs...I am finished. And repulsed sitting their staring at what is left (and might i add, the 1 rib I ate was fatty, chewing and dripping in grease). When paying I bring it to the attention of the gentleman at the front....he says "do you know how big cows are????" Yes. Sir. I realize how large a cow is yet it was the server's responsibility to communicate with me and let me know what I am ordering is enough food for 3 grown men...not a tiny woman. So thank you Market BBQ for the worst dining experience of my life, and your ignorance will be known by all now....good job. Does not warrant the 1 star I was forced to give it.

Visited August 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“hall of fame”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

At one time, this was THE place to go for ribs. When it was on the corner of Glenwood on the near north side. Last trip the ribs were so -so, not dynamite as in the past. Smoked, lean and dry. Pretty good; but it just isn't as good as it was when the previous generations of owners packed in the customers. I miss the Market as it once was. Dayton's, the Lincoln Del, and the Market. Good -bye.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Always reliably excellent ribs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have been going to the Market for over 30 years and it's always reliably great. Service is always great. Wide selection of items, not just ribs. Their signature ribs are tender and served naked. You add the sauce. You may substitute salad for their awesome slaw, and baked potato for fries. I've always felt the buttered toast was unnecessary, but I always eat it. Best ribs in Minneapolis.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans, Louisiana
“1st time visit, last time ill visit too”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Its been 2 days and I am still bothered by the fact that I gave this place $80. The food not being that great was one thing, I can get over that, it was the management and service that blew me away. They treat you like dirt. Just so rude. Its not that they were inattentive, they were just really rude. Especially management. You can tell this place is just in it to make money and get you on your way. I will say the food is very overcooked, dry, and has been sitting for some time. When you get a rack of ribs within literally 4 minutes from placing your order, before your beer order has gotten there, you know its been sitting and reheated. Bummer. The menu language is even rude, like big ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSTITUTIONS, etc... It was just a very "no, nope, no, cant, sorry" kinda place. Anyway, major bummer, was expecting some great food after some online reviews, but, honestly famous daves still has them beat. I WILL never return, mainly due to the treatment.

• Visited June 2013