“Cosy little place - loved it” 5 of 5 stars

612-827-8948
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Victor's 1959 Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 1,582 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West 38th Street
Transit: We are on the corner of West 38th Street and Grand Ave South in Minneapolis. Both streets are major bus lines.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Cosy little place - loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Came here with my family on my birthday and we all loved it the moment we walked in.

The menu had excellent choices and so did the drinks menu. They serve beer in those bigger bottles and it was just right with the appetizers we ordered. The kids had a good choice of sodas and juices to order from.

The main course was excellent,(with lots of nice choices), which I enjoyed with a glass of their Cab Franc (??forgot the exact name...) red wine. The kids experimented with more juice choices. The food portions were generous.

This dining experience was further heightened by our ever smiling server (Erin), who did not lose her cheerfulness despite the fact we over stayed well beyond their closing time.

They also have a tradition of allowing guests to scribble something on their walls and it was fun reading some of the past writings.

Reservations are strongly recommended.

We are waiting for a chance to go back here again....

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Little part of tropical Cuba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Love this place. Food is great. I had Dia Y Noche and a tropical mimosa with mango juice. Excellent! Cuban music was playing in the background. Servers are super nice and not overbearing. Megan was great. I came here first time on a blind date with my now boyfriend and has been returning ever since. Be prepared to wait anywhere between 10-30 min as this place is always busy.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

A very quaint and authentic restaurant in a neighborhood of Minneapolis. The staff are excellent and friendly, and the restaurant itself is suitable for families. I would say the friendly staff contribute to the warmth of this cosy establishment.
The food is authentic and delicious, however I found it very filling and heavy. Perhaps we ordered too much food, we started with excellent empanadas and each had a meat dish. Really after the empanadas we could have ordered only one dish as the portions are extremely generous. We also ordered a delicious salad, but were not told that this also comes on our plate of food, so this seemed to be duplicated.
I would highly recommend this lovely restaurant, but perhaps others have a much bigger appetite than I do, we wasted a lot of food as there was so much. Loved the Rooibos tea which was served as a latte.. All in all I highly recommend Victors

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Last night was my first visit to Victor's. I can only say that I will be returning to little cafe with big flavors! The food was outstanding in flavor and fresh ingredients make this Cuban Cafe a hit! The staff is friendly, informative and attentive. Thank-you for a lovely date night with my husband,

People check out this little diamond in the rough! You won't regret your dining experience!

• Visited January 2013
Minneapolis
“Cool clunky and popular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This small quirky space is fun to visit and very popular too; you can't call in a reservation but it's a pretty good corner for loitering while you wait. The booths and chairs have apparently shrunk over time so, with a low ceiling too, it's cozy, even densely packed - a feel heightened by the fact that every available inch of wall and beam space is inscribed with guests' names, proclamations, and other proofs of presence. I enjoy this sort of feel and focus, but if any more people were waiting by the counter, I would've felt claustrophobic. I wasn't as over-the-top dazzled by the food as others were, but we went there for breakfast, which for me is something to accompany coffee (I expected Cuban eggs to be - I don't know - more revolutionary or bold or something; they were good but not a taste revelation). But I did like my food, had a good time, and will go again for sure (but before 9 .a.m on a weekend when the line begins to form).

• Visited January 2013