“Authentic Vietnamese restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Authentic Vietnamese restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I would rate the restaurant a 3.5, but that isn't allowed in the rating criteria above.

A friend from Hong Kong recommended this restaurant and Pho 79. I have now tried them both. This restaurant seems larger than Pho 79 with a large open room. it was very busy when we arrived at about 6pm on a Wednesday night. Our waiter spoke English, but was very hard to understand given his accent. We shared some spring rolls, which were good. I ordered the Com Ga Xao which was carmelized lemon grass chicken with broken rice. The food was good, but the quantity was quite small. It was enough food, but I would expect that I would be service enough so that I had a decent size quantity to take home once I am finished eating. The decor isn't upgraded or modern, but that's not expected with this style of restaurant.
I did get a spot in the parking lot, but it was very full. I managed to get a spot as someone was exiting. One thing to watch out for- is there doesn't seem to be capability to move between sections of the parking lot- so if I hadn't gotten the particular spot that opened up, I'd need to back out into the sometimes busy Nicollet street to try to get into the next "row" in the parking lot.

I would go back and try it again, and order a different dish- perhaps some Pho.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Excelsior, MN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Trust me...try this place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have been here several times, and although the service isn't the friendliest, and they are rushing around, it is still some of the best food! There Egg Roll Salad is amazing! I prefer the vegetarian over the beef just because of the flavors, but everything I have had here is always top notch! Seriously...get in your car and just go!

Visited January 2013
“I don't know what the folks with negative feedback are talking about--- This place is great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

It's always a good sign when you go into an ethnic restaurant and the majority of the clientele are of that culture.
My wife took me here after she had been here with her girlfriends.
It was about 2PM and the place was hoppin'. I had the beef and egg roll Vietnamese salad and my wife had one with shrimp and something else ( I was so into mine that I'm not exactly sure ). The egg rolls were some of the best I've bet had and the beef ---mmmmm!!!!! The dressing on the salad was like no other.
Service was prompt and the food was fantastic. And the prices were out of this world.
We will definitely be back.
So don't listen to the few bad reviews --- some people are just negative about everything.

Going to try the Pho next time.

Winnipeg, Canada
“Sea bass soup!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Everybody keeps talking about the Pho? Noooooo, Sea bass soup on the weekends is the speciality. Keep it comin all day!
The deep fried egg rolls (in Canada we call them spring rolls). Woo-hoo, hells yeah!
Bahn mi? Yes please.
I crave this in my sleep. And I visit everytime I am in the area, sometimes twice in a weekend. I'm not ashamed :)....

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Tricia_S1
Iowa City, Iowa
“Delicious Pho”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This restaurant came recommended by a local and if you like Vietnamese food, you won't be disappointed. I had the Pad Thai which was nice and not too huge. They were running low on several fish dishes that sounded good but we were there late. Not too expensive and the food makes this a great choice.

Visited December 2012