“For TRUELY bad food and attitude from employees head to True Thai!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of True Thai - CLOSED

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
“For TRUELY bad food and attitude from employees head to True Thai!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was on vacation in Minneapolis and was so excited to see a Thai restaurant on Franklin right around the corner from my daughter's house. We love Thai food so my BF and I decided to stop in for lunch. When we arrived the restaurant was not crowded at all but we were seated way in the back of the restaurant in a smaller room right next to a hallway door that was left open. O.K., so not the best table but no big deal. On the way to the back we passed a small buffet cart that looked to have around 8 different items on it. Since we are not big on buffets we decided to order off the menu. It took several minutes before a waitress brought us menus and even longer for her to come back and take our order. We ordered 2 appetizers, Egg Rolls that were addvertised as,THE BEST, and Chicken Satay. We also ordered Chinese Broccoli and Chicken and Red Curry with Chicken for our entrees. We finally ordered and it took over 20 minutes to get our egg rolls. When they arrived, without the chicken satay, they were over fried and greasy. We were starving though so we ate 1 each and continued waiting for the satay which didn't come until 15 minutes after the egg rolls. When the server put them down it was obvious they were sitting in the window in the kitchen for a LONG time. I figured from how long the wait was for them that the server forgot about them until someone in the kithcen said,"hey someone's satay has been sitting in this window for 20 minutes now". The chicken was like shoe leather. We could not get the meat to come off the stick without cutting it off with a knife and it was so dry it was unedible. We then sat and waited another 32 minutes, I was timing the whole experience because I couldn't belive what was happening, until finally, the server who did not say anything to us up to this point after taking our initial order, came over to us and stated that our food would be cooked next. Cooked next? Shouldn't they have been cooking our food as soon as we ordered it? By this time the restaurant had gotten full of people that obviously come there for the lunch buffet and people were complaining about the buffet food being gone and tables were yelling, "you need more chicken wings on the buffet, you need more rice on the buffet", etc. At this point I called the waitress over and told her that if our food wasn't started yet we didn't want it as we had plans for the day and had all ready been there for close to an hour without our entrees and no one communicating with us. She said, no, he's making it now but we can wrap it to go for you. Really? In shock, I said fine and proceeded to wait another 20 minutes until a different server came out with a bag of food to go and gave us our bill. We went to the front to pay and told the older, bearded gentleman at the register that we did not have a good experience to which he rudely replied, "well, we are down 1 person in the kitchen." and that was it. No, "I'm so sorry what was the issue?" or "we certainly want to correct issues immediately so what can we do for you?" I added a Thai Iced Tea at the register to bring to my daughter as well and he acted as if it was a hassle to get an over priced iced tea to a customer that just had a terrible experience. To top it off when we got to my daughter's house to finally eat our meals the entrees were TERRIBLE! The Chinese broccoli was so woody and had a strange taste. Very bitter and nasty. The chicken pieces were so small they were barely there. The red curry was just o.k and a very small portion. For a $52.00 lunch I expect more than horrible service, bad food and attitude from the staff. Next time we are in Minneapolis we will definitely not be going to True Thai

Tip to the owner: I work in the food and beverage industry and I know things happen. Employees don't show up, the restaurant may be dead one day and busy the next, you may be understaffed or just having an off day in the kitchen or with your staff. THIS IS NOT THE CUSTOMERS PROBLEM! You owe it to your customers to communicate to them that there may be a longer than normal wait for food ordered off the menu. Be honest with your customers and they will understand. Maybe you should offer the buffet ONLY at lunch time to prevent this from happening to others. Teach your staff how to communicate with the customers or you just may find you have none!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis
“Treated poorly here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was treated with extreme rudeness from the bearded man who works at the front of the restaurant. Maybe he was having a bad day and unfortunately it was taken out on me. I walked out without eating, lucky for me there are enough other choices in Minneapolis that I won't be returning.

• Visited June 2012
Minnesota
“Service Variable, but Food Always Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

When we lived closer True Thai was a regular stop for take-out, mostly because the service was spotty. A recent visit indicates the quality of the service continues to vary. But the food remains as good as it has always been.

Visited March 2012
Minnesota
“True Thai is part of our pantry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We live very, very close to True Thai and have introduced many friends to this restaurant. We consider it an extension of our home pantry. I love the catfish salad, but we usually have first timers order Pad Thai because it is just a great intro to Thai food. Be SURE to indicate how spicey you want your food. I explain that I have Irish taste buds. NO heat for me. The restaurant is bigger than it looks but sometimes people coming is are put off by the mass of folks waiting. Mainly, they are waiting for their carry-out. Eat well.

Visited June 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Thai Curry and Specialties”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Never disappointing this restaurant provides a lot of variety. The food is fresh and the prices are reasonable. This restaurant has a wall full of awards and they deserve it! It is a great place to share dishes and try the many offerings. One of my favorites is the Lemon Chicken Soup. Its the perfect blend of coconut milk, Thai chilis, galanga, lemon grass, kaffir line leaves and straw mushrooms. Good selection of curries. My favorites include Masaman Curry and the Red Curry with Kabocha Squash. Don't forget to try the Labb Salad, Fresh Spring Rolls, Satay and Fried Cashews. Did someone say desert? Save room for Anna’s Fried Bananas & Coconut Ice Cream. Portions are huge to share or pack for your next day lunch. If you love Thai food you will want to return.

• Visited June 2012