“Best dinner and service in Minneapolis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Alma

Restaurant Alma
528 University Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (University / Dinkytown)
(612) 379-4909
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Alma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 1,598 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Neighborhood: University / Dinkytown
Cross street: 6th Avenue SE
Transit: #6 Metro Transit Bus
Los Angeles, California
“Best dinner and service in Minneapolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a great place. Wonderful, thoughtful food on a 3-course tasting menu with three choices for each course ($50). There were four of us and we all ordered different things -- everything was delicious and cooked to perfection. Our server had just the right mix of friendliness and professionalism, and her recommendations were spot-on.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Lovely meal with local ingredients in mind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I went with a dear friend of mine and it was a wonderful meal. The server was knowledgable and friendly. We both truly enjoyed the meal we had and left full. Now, I know another reviewer said they were hungry and I could see someone with a larger appetite might not get enough to eat. You can also order a la carte. I had the glazed pork belly, quail and crispy trout. I was too full for dessert, unfortunately. It also has a nice wine list - I'm always happy when I can find some Washington State wines on a wine list. We had a table by the window and I really enjoyed our view of the neighborhood and passersby. Overall, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was casual and nice. It's upscale but not fancy.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Adjust your Expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This restarant is great if you are a foodie and you aren't hungry. Restaurant Alma boasts a tasting menu, however the portions are really small so it won't fill you up by any means. If you come with that expectation, you shouldn't be dissapointed. After reading the reviews I was expecting to really be blown away, but the food wasn't that unique to me. it was good, but I've had similiar food else where. I would give the food itself a high 3 to a low 4. They get points for offering fantastic vegetarian options. It was the service that ruined it for me. My husband and I came in high spirits, celebrating our 5th anniversary, however, but the end of the evening, I was so uncomortable I just wanted to leave. The waitress was very short with us, and made us feel like a burden. We had better service at the Dairy Queen we visted afterword.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“As Good As You've Heard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

It's difficult to adequately convey how good this restaurant is. Simply stated, Restaurant Alma knows how to do everything well. The food was superb, the wait staff was professional and friendly, the location (not far from the University of Minnesota) is easy to reach, and the restaurant ambience is everything you look for in a quality restaurant. It is not inexpensive, but this is the kind of restaurant experience you savor for a long time.

• Visited June 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“eat dessert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

this really was as wonderful a place as we were led to believe. Service done with enough talk but not too much, timely, had the three course tasting menu which had enough variety for all of us to try a lot of things. I had hake, a pretty uncontroversial fish, in a sauce that was remarkably flavorful and fennel is one of the great flavors and it complemented the fish and the crunch of breadcrumbs was really unexpected. The rice grits were softer than any grits I was used to and most would question calling them grits - more like a porridge - but the flavors, again, worked well. We got a "flight" of desserts and a spoon of each left us all happy. Congratulations. Nice simple decor and the noise level was very tolerable. We'll be back.

• Visited July 2013