“A Minneapolis hot spot!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Al's Breakfast

Al's Breakfast
413 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414-2005 (University / Dinkytown)
612-331-9991
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 1,429 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: University / Dinkytown
Buffalo, New York, USA
“A Minneapolis hot spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Al's Breakfast is an experience. As a Minneapolis staple and a place that has overcome many threats of shutdown over the years, it has remained resilient and long-standing and still a favorite among locals and visitors.

I take all of my visitors to Al's Breakfast. It's a very small diner, so you have to understand the etiquette before even arriving. You wait in line. Sometimes for a long time. You stand behind those eating. You may likely be in cramped quarters. You will get friendly with your neighbor.

Get used to it. It's part of the experience.

You order - it will be cheap. Cash only!! You will hear the servers yell traditional diner lingo. You will love it.

All the food is good. The specials, the pancakes (get the blueberry!) the hash browns and great coffee. No complaints about food. I've even ordered things like yogurt that aren't on the menu.

All in all, it's fantastic. I've never had a person not like it. You do what the locals do. Enjoy!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“go once”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The pancakes are good, though not great, and if you are or have ever been a New Yorker, you will be impressed by the extremely slow service. But it's a fun experience nevertheless as you get to observe a slice of Minneapolis life while waiting an hour or so in line, looking at the kitsch decorations, and eavesdropping on a range of conversations conducted twelve inches from your ears.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minnesota
“Al's Breakfast is great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I asked our college age daughter where to have breakfast after we dropped off supplies this morning. She told us about Al's and we were on our way. Finding it was easy. We had to wait for seats, which meant we got to stand behind the 14 people who were eating. The staff was friendly, and got us seated as soon as two spots opened up. My wife had pancakes, I had an omelet, and we both thought the food was really good. If you find yourself around the University of Minnesota at breakfast time, Al's is a great choice.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minnesota
“Al's is A-1!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had heard about this place and I finally got an opportunity to check it out for myself. Well, not much to it. I was fortunate in that there was a stool open at the counter. There are only 14 of them and if you miss out, you have to stand behind someone until they are done eating. Anyway, the place is kinda quirky and probably not ready for the white glove inspection but heck, that's part of the fun. One of the regulars schooled me a bit on what the most popular things were to order and I ended up ordering the 'Jose', which are two poached eggs on top of homemade hashbrowns with cheese sauce and a stealthy, hot salsa. It also came with toast. I thought it was very good and the price was reasonable. The guy next to me also said the pancakes were very good and recommended the blackberry/walnut but he said, you have to have one or the other (eggs or pancakes) because you won't be able to eat both and he was right. I am glad I stopped and would suggest you give it a try if possible. Sounds like the weekends make for a long wait. I was there around 8 on a monday morning and it worked out great!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Dirty. Horrific music for an 8 am Monday breakfast. Fry cook screaming at top volume. Staff bickering. Worst coffee ever. Just awful. Our first and last visit. Whatever happened to a cozy breakfast in an inviting, friendly environment? The only good thing I can say is my eggs were hot and not overcooked.

• Visited September 2013