“Happily Surprised” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Al's Breakfast

Al's Breakfast
413 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414-2005 (University/Dinkytown)
612-331-9991
Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #19 of 1,552 restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Neighborhood: University/Dinkytown
Twentynine Palms, CA
“Happily Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was told that I had to go to Al's while I was visiting the University. It was in a great location just a few blocks from campus.I was told that it was a fun experience/environment and was just expecting a regular diner. We went around 6am on a Friday morning and were seated right away. The whole restaurant is the size of a hallway with about 12 seats at a bar and barely any room behind them. As more people came we were asked to scoot down until all of the seats were full and then a line started forming behind us. By the time we left there was a line out the door. I ordered the bacon waffle and was very surprised when it turned out to be delicious! Definitely one of the best waffles I have had. When we left it was difficult to get our stuff and get out because of the limited space but it was definitely worth the visit. It does get very crowded so go early or plan on waiting.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
“My favorite breakfast spot in the Cities, probably in the US!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Every time we come to the Cities, we come to Al's! The smokey omelet and the whole wheat blueberry walnut pancakes are top on my "recommend list"! There are only 14 stools so be prepared to wait a bit. Maybe you will even be lucky enough to do a "slide", moving to the next stool to open up an adjacent spot! Awesome food! Fun atmosphere! Come!

New York City, New York
“Not fine dining but dang...those pancakes were fine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Hole in the wall...literally I think this place is an actual hole in the wall. The breakfast lived up to very high expectations set by previous reviews. The service was very friendly as were the other people eating there. I sat next to a couple on one side that travelled far just to try it and they were delighted as well. On the other side was a U of M senior that was a regular and she was just gushing about how it was her favorite place.

Go and expect to wait to sit. You'll be glad you did!

Fargo, North Dakota
“Best French Toast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This quirky restaurant has never been a best kept secret, in fact, you will most likely wait in line for an hour or more just to get one of the 14 coveted bar stools. Even the wait to be first in is close to an hour on weekends. Many people bring kids here; for me, I wouldn't do this unless I could bring them on a less crowded weekday morning.

The way the wait works is like this (if you are a newcomer, you need to know): Assuming all of the 14 stools are filled when you get there--they always are in my experience--you need to enter the restaurant and move all the way to the back to either form a line or join it. Often, there are already 10-15 people in line and you will need to wait outside.

The food is great, diner food. I love the french toast, but the real magic is in the maple syrup for this dish. The salsa is amazing, so you cannot go wrong with the Jose meal, but I would STILL get the french toast. :) I usually get the poached eggs and add hollandaise sauce, which has an unusually pronounced lemon flavor. I also get the hashbrowns and the french toast. Do I have leftovers--um, YES! But the price is still less that $10.

If you want to bring something home, you get tinfoil to wrap it in, so keep that in mind. However, if you ordered the coffee, you can get a cup to go--which is a great deal.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Awesome breakfast. Worth the wait!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were in town for a Twins game and was looking for a good place for breakfast on Trip Advisor. We found Al's rated highly and was not disappointed. I had the blueberry walnut pancakes, which were the best ever. My son had the poached egg with hollandaise sauce on hash browns which were amazing. A don't miss in Minneapolis. .

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere