“A step back in time.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Al's Breakfast

Al's Breakfast
413 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414-2005 (University / Dinkytown)
612-331-9991
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 1,430 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: University / Dinkytown
Sequim, Washington
“A step back in time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Al,s Breakfast. Is a small cash only dinner where patrons wait behind behind those eating at the counter stools. There is a reason for the line to get served, mainly, the ample fresh cooked food and friendly down home service. This is a landmark which has served th U district for over 50 years and probably has changed little in that time.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver Island, Canada
“You saw it on 3 D's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This classic diner is just as seen on "Diners Drive-ins and Dives". Excellent breakfasts (amazing pancakes and Corned beef hash). Only 13 seats at the counter so we went on a Monday morning and only waited about 20 minutes

Visited January 2013
minneapolis
“An Institution”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

It's like being in the front row of a theatrical production, with the cast just begging for you to interact with them. Insult the cook about the hash browns and let the fun begin. Truly a great place to eat. As a bonus the food is quite good.

Visited April 2012
Minnesota
“I cannot believe I am saying this.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Okay, so it is hard to even find this place. It is one of the dingiest, dirtiest places. Broken windows, worn out dirty little hole in the wall. The people were waiting outside - and it was very cold. So I was determined to try it. We waited outside for 30 minutes until we got inside the door. If you are claustrophobic (which I am) it is a lesson in perserverence. So we get inside the tiny door (very tiny) and then finally into the tiny, tiny, tiny space behind the stools which are full of patrons .
We are almost on top of them. If you put your head back you whack your head on the coat hooks.

So I am angry, hungry, feeling penned in, but determined....
The staff - well, how can I put it ... crazy, tattooed, foolery, devil may care, screaming, jumping. I am carried away. The food looked good and everyone was enjoying, as fast as they could as they were getting drooled on by patrons hovering over them.

So we sit, and get coffee, then a space opens up and we are told to scoot down, dishes and all. I order the blueberry pancakes as I have heard about them. I cannot believe they could be THAT good. My husband orders an egg dish.

Okay, I am aghast that I am going to say this. They are heaven and I now understand - the wait, the overcoming of close proximity and the dirt. Loved them and am still thinking about them to this minute. Darn it. What an experience.

PS. Don't take a date there unless she is a college student on your first date. Unless you blindfold her and let her get a taste of pancakes first.

Visited January 2013
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Small place that I would not choose myself from its looks if I had not read the reviews on Tripadvisor. I didn’t have to wait long although I read this is usually the case. I loved the food bust most of all the walnut pancakes and the plenty coffee offered again and again. I also liked the atmosphere of this place which made me relax and enjoy my food.

Visited November 2012