“Hate to "blow" their cover” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mill City Museum

Mill City Museum
704 S 2nd St, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Downtown)
612-341-7555
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 269 things to do in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Located within the ruins of the Washburn A Mill, this museum chronicles the flour milling industry through multi-sensory and interactive exhibits and games.
Minneapolis
10 attraction reviews
“Hate to "blow" their cover”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

OK, so I was quite ignorant of this museum until this winter, despite having lived in Minneapolis for the last 20 years. I decided to become a tourist in my own home town. The things I loved, as I see others have, were the movie about Minneapolis in 19 minutes, the Flour Tower, and the gift shop. Yes, the gift shop. They have a tremendous collection of cookbooks and books dedicated to the history of Minnesota, and the folks who settled here. Sadly enough, the museum itself left me deflated, like a faulty loaf of bread. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. So maybe watch the movie on YouTube and crash the gift store...use the money you saved to spend on a visit to Patisserie 46 where nothing disappoints and the bread is satisfying.

Visited January 2013

• Indonesian first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
18 attraction reviews
“Loved the Movie 19 Minutes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I thought this museum was great! I guess I liked the Flour Tower and the movie 19 minutes. The exhibits were more for the kids.

Visited March 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Surprise find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My kids and I stopped in here to use the washroom and decided to stay and check it out. We all agreed it was one of the most interesting museums we've ever been to! My kids are 8 and 14 and they both enjoyed the tour and the interactive displays. The elevator trip was fantastic - you sit on the elevator and they stop at various floors and there are different scenarios giving the history of the city and flour milling. I would highly recommend this museum - we probably spent over 2 hours there.

Visited July 2012
Winnipeg
47 attraction reviews
“This place was a great surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was reluctant to visit this place - the history of flour? Who dull could that be? Boy, was I wrong! This was one of the best museum experiences I've ever had! The history of flour IS the history of Minneapolis -St. Paul! The museum is on the partially restored ruins of what was once the largest flour mill in the world. There's even exhibits in the elevator ride up to the top of the mill. Once you reach the top, you're rewarded with a great view of the city and the river. They bake treats on premises, and there's a great short film where you take a historic tour of Minneapolis in 19 minutes flat. Actors do dramatic representations of historical figures. What I really enjoyed were the mini-videos of all of the flour product commercials and promos from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Love those Wheaties commercials!

Visited September 2012
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Fun and educational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went here with our daughter and it was fun for us all. It was interesting and they had a small water table for the kids.

Visited April 2012