“Terrific service, comfort and even value (on weekend) at Graves 601” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Minneapolis Hotel

You added Loews Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Minneapolis Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   601 1st Ave North, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Formerly Graves 601 Hotel Wyndham Grand) (Warehouse District)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Chicago, Illinois
“Terrific service, comfort and even value (on weekend) at Graves 601”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

Just returned from a business trip/long weekend in Minneapolis and we were impressed by this hotel. Service was friendly and "can do" even on the weekend. For example, on a Friday night we bought a pint of ice cream while out on a stroll. Upon returning to the hotel, we stopped and asked the concierge to send it to a freezer for us so we could retrieve it Saturday night. And it was done, quickly and with a smile. The next night, we called down to the desk after a late dinner and the ice cream was delivered to our room in under 10 minutes. This was typical of the service we got: what we asked for, no delays, no stupid questions or funny looks. Flawless.

We were not sure about Graves at first as we pegged it as just another W rip-off. It isn't. We were wrong. Graves out performs W both in service (above is just one example) and comfort. The bed was super comfy with higher quality linens than any W. The bath products included Hermes. No staff members we encountered were anything but friendly and helpful -- no cooler than thou attitude at all.

Graves obviously caters to business travelers as efficiency is evident everywhere and it is a quiet, fairly kid-free establishment with 2 bars. Hotel gives out complimentary FT, WSJ and NYT each morning in lobby. During the week, the rate was mid $200s. On the weekend, however, the hotel was a deal at $150 or so/nite. Cosmos, the restaurant, was very good: dinner included lobster risotto, Wagyu beef from Japan and other choices you'd expect in NYC or Chicago (Dinner for 2 with drinks was about $120). Breakfast not included with room and, as a result, mush tastier than in the road warrior joints we've stayed at (price range around $10-15).

Hotel is walking distance to all of downtown and also the rail to airport and, yes, the Mall of America. Art galleries and some restaurants required a cab ride. Overall, very fine hotel which pays attention to detail.

• Liked — Great service, very quiet and comfortable.
  • Disliked — Pricey during the week
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

I was treated very poorly by reservation staff at this hotel. I had to waste so much time only to be treated rudely when I finally got through.

I was never given a confirmation number email after making my reservation with the Graves online... When I wanted to adjust my resevation details before my stay, I called the toll free number and was on hold for an unbelievable amount of time, only to be disconnected. I called back and had to wait all over again, at least 10 minutes each time. Then whend I got a human I was told I could not be helped because the toll free number office cannot look up my booking and could not even give me a confirmation number so I could take care of it myself online. It was like they were not connected to their reservation system in any way whatsoever. I was told to call the local number if I wanted help.

When I called the local number, which was not toll free, again I was on hold long-distance for a huge amount of time. I spent a total of 16 minutes long distance before my call was answered, then was placed on hold another 8. I hung up and called back to have the same thing happen again! When I was asked to be placed on hold again, I mentioned that I was having trouble getting through, and the receptionist cut me off mid-word and put me on hold again! She didnt acknowledge, apologize or respond to my mention of this when we finally spoke.

I think there is a lot to be said about this hotel's unwillingness to communicate with its customers. Something that should have taken two minutes ended up wasting over 30 minutes, and I had to pay long distance to be treated poorly. Their rudeness was memorable.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

The Graves 601 left me with the feeling of "huh?" If you are a minimalist, this is the place.
The rooms are straight out of an Ikea catalog. While that might be ok for some, it left me with a wanna be chic, but on a college dorm room budget type of feeling...however the TV is big. So, if one was 24 y/o, I would probably think that this place was hip and trendy. For those of us who are older and used to staying in nicer hotels, it was not a plesent home away from home feeling. (What was with those backlit photgraphs on the wall in the room of a woman holding a pear?) From check in to the music in the elevators to dinner and cocktails at the bar, it just left you with a cold unfriendly wanna be hip feeling.
To give you an example, the room I stayed in did not have a nice inviting bath...just a shower that leaked all over the place, because an open glass shower is more trendy.
I don't mind spending money on a good meal, but I had a $31 filet comperable to something you get at Denny's for $7.95 (I am not exaggerating). I should have ordered the celery root tart, it would have been more "chic".
So, in conclusion, if most of your furniture came in a flat box that required assembly and you are more apt to go out "clubbing" at a techno dance rave of the month, this is the spot. If you are looking for a getaway in a lush and friendly hotel and don't mind paying for it. stay at the Grand Hotel in Minneapolis.

• Liked — The big TV
  • Disliked — Unfriendly and sterile
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

We are both in our 30's and travel often and really enjoyed Graves 601 for our first time in Minneapolis.

Hotel: We knew it would be nice, but were very suprised by the simple design and beauty of this hotel. From the elevator to the beautiful wood doors at your hotel room you will love it. The check-in is on the 4th floor (some people don't like this, but its so private). In general everyone was extremly nice and helpful (great concierge staff)

Room: The room was a perfect size and the bathrooms were extremly clean. We loved the huge 42 inch flat screen, comforable couch, and amazing bed. They give you Hermes products and the room service was very good. For the price it can't be beat.

Location: Amazing location, within 3 blocks from all of the downtown shopping, restaurants, and train station. The hotel is literally connected to Hard Rock, Bellanotte(great place), a bowling alley(Gameworks) and Hooters to name a few.

Restaurant/Bar: Let me start with the good (the Infinity Lounge and the Cosmos Bar are great). Cosmos bar is the place to be seen and even just grab a martini at happy hour.

The "so-so" - Cosmos restaurant - We looked so forward to our "big" meal there and were disappointed. We are from Downtown chicago and have tried some top-notch restaurants. They just did not hit the high-end restaurant bullseye. I would recommend having an appetizer and great drinks at the bar and head somewhere else.

Overall: Don't waste your money on Chambers Hotel, we went for drinks and did not find it held a candle to Graves 601. Minneapolis is not the place to spend 400+ a night on rooms. Get a great room for close to 250-300 at Graves and have a great time. Get a package off the site and you'll love it. We got the Restful package that included valet, breakfast, etc. and it was a great price.

• Liked — design of hotel and great atmosphere
  • Disliked — Cosmos the Restaurant
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

We had a large, beautiful room on an upper floor with fantastic views of the city. In-room facilities included a DVD player and a HUGE plasma TV. Very stylish bathroom - my girlfriend loved the Hermes soap. The hotel has a terrific bar - we didn't try the club or restaurant - and the staff were mostly first-rate, though a small minority has a slightly too "superior" attitude for my liking.

The hotel is ideally located for anything you could want to do in the downtown area and has direct access to the skywalk system. The location does, however, mean that you should expect to be approached by a variety of scammers, hustlers and low-lives once you get more than 20 or 30 feet from the front door.

Forget about the downsides, though. If you're going to Minneapolis you MUST stay here!

• Liked — Style / view
  • Disliked — Street life
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

I'm a bit shocked that something this trendy and hip could be found in Minneapolis. This hotel took inspiration from Starwood's W brand, trendy digs, comfortable bed, minimalist decor, cool music, etc. Each room features flat panel TV's (2 per), but that's kinda becoming standard anyway.
Staff was friendly and helpful (more friendly than one would expect from midwesterners). Actually, the hotel staff could easily fall into the alouf, "we're too hip" attitude typical of a hot spot hotel, but not so here. Kudos to the staff.
Rooms are standard size, nothing special. But the bed was very comfortable. Everything looked new. Decor was excellent, very cool. Views were great.
Can't beat the location, next to Target center, 2 blocks from Warehouse district for dining and clubin. 2 blocks from shopping at Neiman Marcus or Macy's.
Cosmos is a great place to eat.

The place is a little slice of Manhattan in the Midwest.

• Liked — Trendy
  • Disliked — Room Size
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

I stayed at the Graves 601 for one night on business and had a great time. Just walking in you can sense this isn't your average hotel - the first floor feels like a nightclub and then you take the elevator to the 4th floor for check-in, which has a great piece of art hanging behind it. The decor is uniformly cool and trendy, even down to the piped-in music near the elevators.

All of the staff I interacted with were gracious and helpful - I even got a free upgrade on check-in without asking (although I think the only difference the upgrade got me was a six-headed shower.

The room was very modern and had some nice touches - soft bed linens, comfortable mattresses, a HUGE flat screen TV in room and another in the bathroom, a full mirror, soft towels, the six-headed shower and ... soap by Hermes.

The hotel is located in a busy, exciting part of town with plenty of restaurants, access to the Skywalk and the Target Center right across the street. I wished I had more time to spend exploring.

The only off-putting moment of the entire experience was the "weekend agreement" I had to sign, promising to avoid having a wild party that would destroy the room - I've never had to sign one of these at any hotel I've stayed at before.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend the Graves 601 for anyone who appreciates design, small touches and a fabulous location.

• Liked — Modern design and nice small touches in room
  • Disliked — Somewhat confrontational about potential room damage
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Loews Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!