“Great hotel downtown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Minneapolis Hotel

You added Loews Minneapolis Hotel to your Saves list
Loews Minneapolis Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   601 1st Ave North, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Formerly Graves 601 Hotel Wyndham Grand) (Warehouse District)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Northern Wisconsin
“Great hotel downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had a great stay at Graves 601. Went to a Twins game (2 blocks from Target Field) on Sat.Hotel was ultra clean and quiet. Valet parking was worth the $28 price. Staff we met were very helpful.Finally, got a great rate on hotel website( $138 + tax for a king). We will be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Sounds like you all had a fabulous time! I'm thrilled that you were able to catch a Twins game — they're always a blast. It's great to hear how impressed you were with our staff. I'll be sure to share your kind words with them. I know they'll appreciate it! Thanks for the wonderful review. We hope to see you next time you're in town!

Graves 601 Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

GETTING THERE
Everything you need to know to get to Graves 601 is on their website.

PRICE
At $211 for a weeknight in the summer, Graves 601 was a good $100 less than other upscale Minneapolis properties.

THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Graves 601 rises above, and connects to, downtown's Block E (as in Eyesore). It's a tacky mess of a building -- faux balconies, neon, billboards: my 9-year-old nephew could have designed something more tasteful. There's a lot of riffraff milling about, and scalpers working the corner. This part of Minneapolis has really slid downhill in recent years.

SERVICE
The valet and front desk service was fine, but the friendliness forced. I don't really care to tell every Hakon, Olaf and Erik "what brings me to town."

COMMON AREAS
Nearly a decade old, the once trendy decor is becoming a tad outdated, but its manages to retain most of its original swank: the glossy wood, high ceilings and graceful floating sculpture are timeless.

SLEEPING ROOMS
The accommodations are where this hotel shines. They're contemporary without being sparse (I'm talking to you, Delano) or cheesy (I'm talking to you, W). What with the plush bed, spacious bathroom, lit makeup mirror, oversized full-length mirror, and tasteful lighting I was in my element.

OVERALL
For $200 I couldn't have done any better. I would be happy to return to Graves 601, but I doubt it will become my go-to stay when in the Twin Cities.

@EsmeTravels

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
We always like to read detailed, thoughtful reviews like yours. We're located in the heart of Minneapolis, and our prime location is perfect for tourists and locals alike. Our building really is gorgeous, and I'm glad that you found your room so well appointed.

We believe that friendliness is a big part of providing great service, and I can assure you that our staff is genuine in their efforts. I apologize if it felt forced, and I'll discuss this with them.

It sounds like you had a lovely stay, and we're proud to make you feel welcome here. I hope to see you again next time you're in town!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Our upper level room had fun view of the Twins baseball park. Our room was very quiet given all the activity after games. No noise at all up stairs. Room was pleasant, modern and clean. I really miss the coffee maker when it's not there and it wasn't. The remedy is a Starbucks down stairs but I would love my first cup of coffee in the room to get me down stairs to get a latte. Any small concerns I had were taken care immediately by the staff. The Cosmo restaurant has a very, very kind and responsive staff and excellent hospitality. The location is a block away from The Metro Which goes to the Mall of America but it is a 45 minute Commute at best. The good news is that the Metro is great, safe and very clean. Minneapolis is a lovely place to visit and St Paul has a magnificent cathedral. Who knew?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis is definitely a hidden gem in the Midwest! I'm thrilled to hear that everyone made you feel welcome, and that you were so impressed with your room. Our coffee makers are available upon request. We should have made this more clear, and I apologize. Still, I'm glad that you had such a wonderful stay! Thanks for taking the time to review us. I hope to see you next time you're in town!

Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I travel virtually every week for work and my reviews point to the good and the bad. This hotel has under impressed me the 2x I stayed here and this last time just pissed me off totally. The staff at the front desk was unknowing of the hotel. When asking to stay on the executive floors, as I was staying for 2 nights, I was told there are no rooms, yet while standing there another person came up, got an executive floor room and was told that the hotel is only 82% full. Can they be that bad that I am standing there and not seeing me?

Secondly, the floor I was put on, the 6th, was undergoing a complete paint renovation for the two days I was there. I will post the photos, but let's just say the smell was terrible and you would think a quality hotel would shut down that floor for the day or two that they needed and not make guests stay there? Why would they not even tell me or offer something of value to endure that? It's beyond me.

Lastly the hotel layout is not great. You have to take an elevator to the 4th floor no matter what and then go to your room in a totally separate elevator bank. It could be the architects trying to make you stop at the bar/restaurant floor, but to a traveler, it's a pain when you spend a few days.

I have gone to Minneapolis many times and I find my time at the Le Meridian is much better spend. Nicer rooms, less interruptions and a great restaurant/bar downstairs. Like I said, I travel for business and know what service and comfort is, and you are playing Russian Roulette with The Graves 601 Hotel.

Room Tip: If they will let you, stay on the executive level - floors 14 and above. Beware, its a view of a roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Lee,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please accept our apologies for your experience. In checking our inventory that evening you were unable to receive a room on the executive floors as they were occupied or out of order due to the installation of new hardwood floors.

I'm sorry that you had to stay on the 6th floor during your visit. In retrospect, you are correct in saying we should have shut down the floor while it was being freshly painted.

Please know your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for your honesty. I hope you'll give us another opportunity to impress you on your next trip to Minneapolis. Please call me personally at (612) 312-1175 so we can make this right for you.

Thank you so much the feedback. Your thoughts are important to us.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night on a business trip and thought it was amazing. The art installations that they have throughout the hotel add a lot to the atmosphere. The rooms are modern with little extras throughout that you just wouldn't expect. Their use of lighting throughout the whole hotel is pretty spectacular. The beds are super comfy. It is located right downtown in the heart of restaurants and other entertainment. I didn't pay the bill, so I can't really comment on the value.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Paula,

We're delighted that we could help you make the most of your business trip! You really have an eye for detail — we took a lot of time making our lighting just right, so we're glad that you were so impressed. The art installations really do add to the ambiance as well. Thanks so much for this lovely review. We hope to see you again next time you're in Minneapolis!

Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I had a few issues/disappointments I feel require attention for future guests' enjoyment. We chose an upgraded room-a corner view on the 14th floor. For the price paid, I feel that some items were inconvenient and/or unreasonable. Those items are as follows:

-Glass headboard
While very attractive overall, there was a visible and off-putting thick layer of dust directly behind the glass piece, made more noticeable by the headboard lights. This made me question the dust/allergen level in the rest of the room.

-Internet
I feel that a hotel of Wyndham quality and at this price point should offer free Wi-Fi internet. Many reputable hotel chains do so as well as countless other venues today and charging an outrageous $20/day fee makes Graves 601 seem both antiquated and stingy. Your guests should at least be afforded this simple convenience free of charge.

-Noise level
There was a Twins game and concert taking place at the Target Field on the evenings we were there. I was a bit surprised at how clearly we could hear pedestrians on the street, shouting late into the night. Our room was 1420 and faced the street but I still expected more sound proofing.

-Cosmos dining experience
Since we were in the city to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary, I chose Cosmos because it was a nice and romantic spot. We had not dined here before. It was not as comfortable as I would have preferred for several reasons however. The gentleman who kept our water glasses filled was wonderful, polite and very attentive I must mention. Our waiter was nice, but nearly impossible to understand and seemed surprised when we did not order alcohol. I do not prefer to be responded to with "so you just don't drink at all?" when I do not order alcohol with my dinner.
The design of the menu was a bit confusing as it lists what I believe are lunch prices next to the pricier dinner portions. I would hate to see the lunch portions based on the dinner ones.
We ordered our entrees which was meant with "That's it?" We ended up with a $77 bill before tip so I'm sorry if that was "it."
We ordered lobster bisque, soft shell crab, halibut, and desert.
However, we were brought various palate cleansers that we didn't order and felt pressured to eat. I should make it apparent that I realize fine dining is a different experience entirely and have dined in many large cities, including Europe so my issues were not related to inexperience.

We ordered dessert as it almost felt awkward not doing so. I will say all the food was quite good, with the exception of my soft shell crab which was pretty fishy tasting.
Our dining experience at Cosmos was simply confusing and not relaxing start to finish.
We didn't understand our waiter, he was bringing items we did not order, behaving in a confused manner that we weren't drinking, and we felt as though we'd paid a high pricetage for this strange experience.

-Ice
Although it is meant to be a service to guests, I found it a bit inconvenient that you HAD to have ice brought to you. I prefer to at least have access to an ice machine if I prefer.

Overall, I would not recommend the Graves 601 to a friend for I feel their money could be better spent elsewhere and more value added to their experience. For a Wyndham hotel price point, I strongly believe guests should at LEAST be offered charge-free internet access, more approachable in-hotel restaurant, a small breakfast or coffee area available in the morning-NOT $8.00 orange juice, and access to amenities like ice machines if desired.

Beautiful hotel, lack of value. I will say this however-that 5 head shower is amazing!

Room Tip: Paying more for the corner room with panoramic views was perhaps not all that worthwhile as the room...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest feedback. We take pride in maintaining an impeccable appearance, so I apologize for the dust on your headboard. I will discuss this with our staff to make sure that no details go unnoticed.

I appreciate your input regarding the WiFi. While we cannot offer wireless internet free of charge at this time, it is definitely something that we will consider for the future.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at Cosmos. We take pride in our service, so it is disappointing that your server made you feel uncomfortable. I will certainly pass this on to the Cosmos team. I know they will appreciate your honesty.

We take all of our guests' input into consideration, and I will be sure to discuss all of yours with our team. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We hope you'll give us another opportunity to impress you.

Isanti, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

This place is amazing! You have to see it to believe it. It is the epitome if luxury. We stayed here as a present to my fiancé and let me tell you.....I hit this one out of the park by choosing this hotel. We stayed in the executive whirlpool suite and the staff treated us like royalty. Room service is offered 24 hours a day and everyone from the front desk staff to the room service attendents were completely professional and polished. The view from our room of 1st ave was amazing. We were most impressed with the detail out into this room. The etched glass headboard, ambient lighting, bathrobes, huge flat screen tv, 3 telephones including one in the bathroom, tv in the bathroom, a mini bar stocked with anything you could possibly want and the most amazing rain shower head.... Also, Cassandra at the front desk was very attentive and impressed us at check out. My only hesitation is that the walls are very thin. You can hear parties going on next door as well as music from the street. If you are a light sleeper you may want to take that into consideration. It did not affect our stay, however.

If you are on the fence about booking a room here, do not hesitate. You will be treated like royalty for a reasonable price.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Patrick C, Management at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2012
I'm thrilled that we made you feel like royalty! It's wonderful to hear that you felt so welcome and comfortable, and that you found your room well appointed. Cassandra is an excellent addition to our team. I'll make sure she hears about this! Thank you for the lovely review. We're looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Graves 601 Team

Been to Loews Minneapolis Hotel? Share your experiences!