“Good, not great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Graves 601 Hotel Wyndham Grand

Save Saved
You added Graves 601 Hotel Wyndham Grand to your Saves list
Graves 601 Hotel Wyndham Grand
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   601 1st Ave North, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Warehouse District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #13 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good, not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

I recently returned from a week's stay in the Graves 601. I was in town on business, and my company gets a corporate rate from the Graves so I thought this would be a cool place to check out. The service here is definitely second-to-none. From the second you walk in, you are greeted by a very friendly doorman, and the front desk will very happily accommodate your needs. In fact, there is no ice maker accessible by the hotel guests, instead you just call down and they deliver it to your room--the longest I ever waited for this was maybe 2-3 minutes. The beds were comfortable, my only complaint is that one night it was difficult to sleep because a Timberwolves game had just gotten over and the noise from the street traffic is fairly loud. The main reason I say this place is good but not great is because there really isn't anything special about it--the room is a very average size and some of the furniture shows signs of wear and tear. The decor is very chic but also seems to be hastily assembled. Some of my favorite things about this place were the very large main TV, the TV in the bathroom, the lounger in the corner, and the very comfortable bedding. I think this hotel would be better for a weekend getaway for a couple than it would for a week-long business trip. I will be back in Minneapolis in June and I would say there is a 50/50 chance I will choose this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

852 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

I hate driving when I go to a city for a concert so gave the Graves a try, what a great choice. I was 10 steps from First Ave, parked the car and didn't have to see it again until I left town. Checked in around 3:30 but room was still being cleaned, the front desk clerk was said she was sorry, I'm not someone to get upset about little things and the girl(can't recall the name) did a good job of explaining what was going on, only had to wait about 15 mins more so once again nothing major. Stayed in one of the executive corner rooms and man what an amazing view, once floor up and I could have watched the baseball game. Room was clean and the bed was like butter, bathroom was also very cool. I don't even want to use my shower at home after using the 5 head shower they had.

Didn't deal too much with the staff after checking in but they all where nice and helpful when I did see them.

Only complaint I have is kind of small, there was one wall plug in our room that we plugged are cellphones into at the end of the night, turns out once you turn off the lights that plug in no longer works, so when we went to leave both of us had dead phones. Also would be nice to have a coffee maker in the room, I want to wake up in the morning and have a cup, not sit and wait for room service or walk down to the starbucks.

Will be staying again for sure

Room Tip: pay for the room ahead of time on their site
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jamestown, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

I stayed here with my family for a family weekend. We typically stay at the Marquette. We decided to do something different and stay the the Graves. Very disappointing. Will not stay here again. The waitress who bragged about working there for 25 years was the most disrespectful person I have ever met. We had breakfast in the Comos. She came to the table with a pitch and asked if I would like coffee. I said, "yes" and pushed my cup closer to her. She said, "this is water, hence the moisture on the outside of the pitcher," She said this in a very cunning voice. I am a pretty down to earth person. Thrive on making the best in every situation. So I got the picture that the waitress needed to be handled with care. We were one of three tables in the restaurant and took about 15 minutes before she came back to get our order. By this time my husband and daughter both left to use the restroom. So I was prepared to order for the two of them. I asked her to come and take our order and she was very rude about it. "Are you really prepared to order for everyone?" Then when ordering, my son asked for an omelette. She responded, "You mean the three egg omelette." He says, "yes please," She says, "yeah" and rolles her eyes. Then when it came to my order, I ordered for myself, daughter and husband. She says," i certainly hope we are not playing musical chairs when I come back with your food." I said very nicely, (because I waitressed back in the day and understand her concerns) "Thats ok, we will help you out." She responds," I do not need any help!" I won't go into detail about the cell phone she soaked with water or the wet linen napkins (after wiping up her mess on our table) she tried to pass off as ours for the duration. Just a complete circus act.
The check in is inconvenience. Check in-take elevator to 4th floor restraunt then get on a different elevator to go to your rooms. The hallways are very dark, gloomy and depressing. The beds were small and soft. I woke up with the worst back ach ever. So if you want a firm mattress, do not stay here. The location is awesome. But is similar to the Marquette. The Marquette have the absolute coolest bellman, kindest front desk people, beautiful rooms, amazing showers, most comfortable beds, awesome whole wall/window view. They were so nice to our family, not sure why we didn't stay there this time. We are definately staying there next time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
LindsayGame, Manager at Graves 601 Hotel Wyndham Grand, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Graves 601 Hotel. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your most recent stay with us. I regret that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas.

I can assure you that we take it very seriously when we fail to meet our guests’ expectations and that we will be following up internally to overcome the shortcomings you experienced.

I hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience and that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Graves 601 Hotel Management.
Rural Northern Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My sister and I were looking for a hotel from which we could easily and safely walk to the First Avenue club (where we went to see the fabulous Old 97s!!!). Once we adjusted to the fact that all of the hotels in the near vicinity appear to be premium accomodations with premium prices, we settled on the Graves 601 for it's 0.0 mile distance and trendy looks. We were thrilled with the choice! We arrived a few hours before the show, which allowed us to really enjoy the place. It is just as pictured online - cool finishes, art installations, and lighting. We took advantage of the happy hour and small plate offerings in Cosmos. $3 domestic beers and a combination of a few of the $5 and $10 food options made for a varied pre-show dinner in beautiful surroundings. The service both in the bar and the hotel (particularly at check-in) was professional and friendly. I brought my complimentary bar of Hermes soap home and must obtain more! The valet was a good deal for downtown parking and was a fuss-free way to do things. All in all, a little more luxurious than my usual adventures, but well worth it - especially when it the evening turned into a blizzard and we only had to cross the street to get to the main event!

• Stayed February 2011
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Stayed here for a couple nights - trendy reception and nice enough rooms - 2 small comfy double beds in my room and a huge TV. The bathroom didn't have a bath, which is such a shame...................why do hotels do this? No tea and coffee making facilities but there was a well stocked fridge.
The wifi worked well the first time I used it , you pay a fee for 24 hours, however, I couldn't log on properly when wanting to use it on further occasions.
We had breakfast there on both days - very high standard, leave plenty of time, breakfasts are made to order, no buffet service.
We had a few beers in the bar - people looked well turned out so you might need to dress up a bit.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

We loved our stay, check out the Bar near the lobby, because they make incredible drinks. It is in a action area of Minneapolis, and the stafff were great, the aptmosphere we enjoyed The 601!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

The bathroom had glass and metal rods, perfect for stubbing your feet as you run to the bathroom to throw up the food poisoning from the room service cesar salad. Hint to the hotel: when a guest calls the front desk, you should offer medical care, not free coffee! Even after I left the hotel yesterday - calling the hotel from the road and reporting to a "desk manager" that I was driving myself to the emergency room because of their food, nobody ever called me to see if I lived. 10 hours vomiting and exploding. Not only did I get sick, but would a good hotel have Hermes soap that is mostly perfume - haven't you ever heard of allergies? Any hotel with common sense knows this. The soap is so strong that it fills the room with odor. At least offer a non scented option. The bed was lumpy with a worn spot in the mattress, and the room was nothing special - slightly smaller than a Marriott. How can a business hotel have no coffee in the room, forcing you to order room service? Also check out the cost to park before you book, what a rip off! Add parking and internet charges and you can easily spend the money at a better hotel. I have travelled the world and always trusted tripadvisor. Now I am questioning my strategy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Graves 601 Hotel Wyndham Grand? Share your experiences!