“Tasty and Local Culinary Fare” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #117 of 1,596 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Local sourced American cuisine.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Tasty and Local Culinary Fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

The building used to be a frozen custard stand for many years, but now it is a great local restaurant that serves delicious meals from fresh ingredients from a local farm in Minnesota.

I had a chicken salad during a late afternoon lunch, and it was delicious! The produce was organic, and everything was just so much more delicious than at a chain or larger restaurant. I can't exactly articulate why the salad's greens were so sweet to taste, yet it was the best-tasting salad that I have had in many months, even though I tend to eat at many restaurants.

The bread served alongside the salad was fantastic french bread.

The brownie sundae that I had for dessert was delicious. It had two huge scoops of ice cream, which tasted homemade, though I don't know for certain whether it is. Also, the chocolate sauce must have been made locally, since it was not the average kind of bland, flavorless, and mass-produced chocolate sauce served on sundaes at most national chain restaurants. Additionally, even for a locally-made chocolate sauce, this was quite delectable.

My one complaint is that the water which was served was not very good. Since the food is so impressive, one would expect the water to be excellent as well.

Overall, the prices are fairly reasonable, too, with the exception of the prices for baked goods. However, we tried some of the baked goods, and these were also delicious, particularly the caramel sticky rolls. The caramel sticky rolls tasted identical to the fresh ones that my grandmother used to make in South Minneapolis.

This place is really worth trying if you live in or are visiting South Minneapolis! It's just a small little gem of a restaurant!

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Minneapolis, MN
“Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

We had a weekend brunch meal at Wise Acre recently. I had the French toast, the kids had the egg sandwich, my wife and mother in law had the CSA hash, and my father in law had a special breakfast buffet. We finished it all up with some of their special custard. The food was delicious! The seating area is small and it was very busy when we were there. The food was served reasonably quickly, but our waitress was a bit slow or more likely had too many things going on. Overall I was impressed with the tasty, fresh food and want to go back to see if our waitress was just having too busy of a day. I recommend Wise Acre!

Regina, Canada
“We loved to eat our values!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

What a great restaurant to enjoy a feast of fresh foods from local farms and sources. The menu was imaginative, the service warm and attentive and the atmosphere was very inviting. We savored each bite of the wonderful quality of the ingredients which made up our main courses. The dessert continues to be a delightful memory! We value fresh, organic, local foods and we loved this meal and the restaurant.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis
“Gem in South Minneapolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

There is an abundance of great little restaurants in S. Minneapolis and this is one of my favorites. It is in a former gas station, turned custard shop, turned fine diner. Whether you're out with family or a group of friends it is always fun and inviting. The food is fresh from the farm and is inventive and tasty. I've visited 1/2 dozen times and it has never disappointed! If there is a downside to this restaurant, it is that it is small and feels somewhat cramped. I have sometimes felt like I'm listening in on the next table's conversation...awkward! But love the food and the service is good!
Visit Tangletown Garden next door. Great spot to pick out exotic plants and cool stuff for your garden!

• Visited April 2012